CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!

Thread: Can I make my CX-7 reliable

Registered Member

2008 Mazda CX-7 Turbo 2017 Mazda 3 S

Question Can I make my CX-7 reliable

Hello Dear Forum Members

Just wondering if after fixing all the problems of the CX-7 (made the timing chain and VVT changing synthetic oil every 5,000 miles and now I have to replace the oil cooler) will it make a more reliable vehicle? I mean haven't touch the turbo but I am aware that this part could be next to fail, but just wondering if the after replacing the VVT and the oil cooler for a new redesigned one, will now make those parts reliable.

Thank you very much

Registered Member

2010 CX-7

Personally I would get rid of it while it's still drivable and leave the Mazda brand altogether. We have a Mazda CX-7 with 84,000 miles on it and just had the engine turbo and AC compressor fail. Dealer wants $4k+ to repair, and Mazda is unwilling to assist with any of the cost. Shocking that a major engine component would fail so early but seems to be common issue based on what the dealer said and reviews on Edmonds. Shouldn't trust a company that doesn't stand behind their work

Registered Member

CX7 2007 Sports

That's borderline a philosophical question, lol! First off, if you are within 7 years and 70,000 miles your VVT's tab should be picked up by Mazda as part of VVT Noise and Timing Chain Noise Warranty Extension SSP87.
    My take, and I'm sure a lot of others will have a different angle... any used SUV/crossover will take more than just an oil change/ tire rotation maintenance and we need to expect components to go bad as the car ages (rubber cracks etc.). As long as no major components give in, and you continue to enjoy the swift handling and powerful acceleration, this remains a keeper but if indeed you start seeing a theme in major issues, time to part ways. Turbo and AC clutch are common issues. I'll add one to that: injector seals. A keeper in my view, but probably not above 200,000 miles.

Registered Member

2010 CX-7 2.3L Turbo

Yep, I trade in my wife*s CX-7 3 years ago for a new Prius. We both miss the Mazda a lot. That car was awesome when it wasn*t in the shop. The Prius is reliable to a fault and dirt cheap to own. Total opposites