2017~2024 Will I regret not getting the Bose stereo?

Jayem_bo

:
'17 CX-5 Touring, Datsun 260z, Triumph Thruxton
I'm about to buy a 2017 CX-5 Touring, and believe it or not I like the seats more on the Touring with the suede inserts than the full leather on the GT. Now my issue is that I want Activesense but you can't get the preferred package with that. So my question is as the title says, will I regret not getting the Bose system? Is the base system that had?

When I test drove it, it didn't sound too bad but then again I didn't crank up the volume.

I have the Bose in my Touring, it's all right but nothing too great. I've read earlier posts from people who didn't get the Bose system and they were OK with it. They compared it to the Bose and said there wasn't that much difference. You can always upgrade the speakers which seems to be the complaint with the Mazda audio systems, even the Bose.

I'm surprised you can't add the moonroof/Bose package with the Activsense.

I'm about to buy a 2017 CX-5 Touring, and believe it or not I like the seats more on the Touring with the suede inserts than the full leather on the GT. Now my issue is that I want Activesense but you can't get the preferred package with that. So my question is as the title says, will I regret not getting the Bose system? Is the base system that had?

When I test drove it, it didn't sound too bad but then again I didn't crank up the volume.
Apparently you're concerned on sound quality. If you're looking for 2016.5 CX-5 which still has plenty to choose from, you can do audio upgrade with aftermarket system which can be much better than Bose. Unfortunately this tablet infotainment screen in 2017 CX-5 prevented you to have a thought of aftermarket upgrade.

For some strange reason Mazda North American Operations are trying to give potential customers a hard time making decision on Touring options. They simply don't let you to have both available options.

This's a question really has to be answered by yourself. Such as some people dislike the moonroof or power liftgate hence he may choose Touring i-ActivSense Package for $625.

For me, l'd choose Preferred Equipment Package for $780 as I really want a little better sound quality and don't really care about LDW or MRCC.

Either way, you got to choose one of them as these options are absolute steal!

If you have any desire for an audiophile-grade system down the road, I suggest skipping the Bose setup. Most of the time, Bose sets their systems up with amps and processors in pretty odd locations and defeating that can be a complete pain. I run the stock stereo and, honestly, it's not horrible on the right genres, but I appreciate the peace of mind in knowing that a future upgrade is really easy.

As for integrating an aftermarket system into the CX-5, the solution comes down to your budget and what's available in your area. External sound processors used to be few and far between; now they're practically a dime a dozen. Take JBL's MS-8, for instance. Inputs can be line or speaker-level and the system comes with a calibration microphone that will tune EQ and time alignment to the car's environment. You'll look silly in the process, but it works leaps and bounds better than any Bose Centerpoint system I've come across to date. Companies like Rockford Fosgate, Helix, Zapco, and JL also make robust DSPs to compensate for modern infotainment systems; some to the point where they do as much as possible to eliminate any onboard sound processing from the head unit itself.

I think it's worth asking yourself just how serious you are about listening to music in the car. If you're looking to replicate what a home theater will do, you're asking for those results in an environment that's designed in practically all aspects to prevent that from happening. Still, if most of the time you're listening to music is from behind the wheel, it's an expense worth making.

I used to co-run an online forum for all types of car audio enthusiasts; from those who just wanted to be as loud as possible to those who wanted to reproduce a symphony hall for their daily commute. If you have additional questions, feel free to either ask them here or send me a private message. I'm not a brand loyalist and I have no dealer contracts. I just care about people enjoying music as much as possible.

An additional note, your system is only going to perform as well as the audio you put through it. If your normal method of music playback is Soundcloud via Bluetooth, any upgraded system will provide a very minimal ROI.

I, personally, store the albums I listen to most on my iPhone in Hi-Res FLAC (24-bit or higher) and play it via the VOX app. Works just like the stock Music app in iOS would. Anything else gets streamed via Tidal's Hi-Res (16/44) or Spotify's Extreme setting (320kbps).

I was never a fan of Bose audio system however the Bose system in my CX-5 sounds very descent. SPL is just right for road tripping. Just add a small sub for those low frequency extension below 60hz. Im looking at Infiniti Basslink and it has passive drivers. It's quite compact for the cargo bay.

I don't think so. Blose is an advertising giant, not a sound quality giant. The Mazda designed system is smoother and flatter in the 2015s and probably other years as well.

not going Blose will mean easier upgrades down the road. I believe the stock system sounds fine. It's not like it is a two speaker AM radio in a '72 Datsun. The stock system will play most music genres just fine, but struggles with talk radio. [<-- humor ;)]. Every system has its limits. don't expect earth shattering bass or perfect stage imaging. It will play music just fine so that when you are singing along to your Sweet Caroline, people pulling up next to you will look at you kinda weird, but may randomly join in on the chorus.

(guitar)

not going Blose will mean easier upgrades down the road. I believe the stock system sounds fine. It's not like it is a two speaker AM radio in a '72 Datsun. The stock system will play most music genres just fine, but struggles with talk radio. [<-- humor ;)]. Every system has its limits. don't expect earth shattering bass or perfect stage imaging. It will play music just fine so that when you are singing along to your Sweet Caroline, people pulling up next to you will look at you kinda weird, but may randomly join in on the chorus.

(guitar)

It will be easier to upgrade a non Bose car stereo. The Bose systems always have ultra low resistance speakers than can't be replaced easily and odd amplifiers to match.

I've never been a Bose fan. Not their home gear or their car stereos. The Bose setup in my 2006 Mazda 6, if adjusted just right, is sort of OK. Yes, it was better than the non Bose system from that year but it still isn't all that great. Lots of other factory car stereos will blow it away.

Doesn't come close to a factory JBL system we had in a Lincoln several decades ago. That system, for a factory job, was a thing of beauty.

Anyway, several months ago we had a 24 hour loan of a 2017 CX-5 thanks to Mazda corporate. It had about 8,000 miles on it so both the stereo and transmission had gotten a chance to settle in. The Bose system was significantly better in the 2017 than the one in the 2006 Mazda. It surprised me.

It was far better than the Bose in a 2015 Mazda 6 I had as a loaner. That system just didn't do much of anything right (to my ears) while I had the car. Perhaps changing some settings would have helped but nothing seemed to help the day I had it and I wrote it off as typical Bose gear. It was a loaner, too, so there is no way of knowing how it had been treated over time.

Is the 2017 the best stereo ever? No, but it was up several levels from the older cars. Would you be happy with it? Dunno how critical you are and what your taste in music is. I threw some rock and jazz at it and thought it reasonable. I'm not into metal or EDM and don't listen anywhere near as loud as some folks so it might completely fall apart at very high listening levels. But at moderate volumes (helped by the quiet cabin) it was OK.

If you don't plan on upgrading the factory gear go to your dealer and listen to both systems. If you are planning to upgrade then the non Bose will make the upgrades easier.

Man, I'm getting old. I just wrote something nice about a Bose system. :)

I love the Bose system, the audio is great. It's the best I've ever heard in a factory sound system, but that's not why you'll regret not getting the preferred package.
The power liftgate, moonroof and navigation are what make the preferred package worth it. The Bose sound system was a nice bonus.

Both the preferred package and i-Activesence package include the Auto-dimming rearview mirror w/ homelink (garage door openers).

It wasn't an easy choice for me, I would have bought both packages if that was an option. Like me, no matter what you choose, you're going to regret not getting the other option. I really wanted to i-Activesence package too, especially for the stop and go traffic. I live in the bay area. In other words, I live in stop and go traffic.

(guitar)

Easy on the 72 Datsun.....

Im in this delema too. I got a good deal on a GS (touring model here in Canada) but there is no such thing as Moon ad Tunes up here, I have the I-Active System, heated front seats and wheel and power lift gate, rear vents and USB, no Bose! Ive sat in both, and there is a slight edge in SQ with the Bose setup...but didnt want to step up to the GT just to get that (didnt want the 19" tires either)

So the only option here is a speaker swap and to add a powered sub. So I have a gerneral shout out to anyone if they have done this already:

For a speaker swap, I was looking at some JBLs or the Hertz I keep reading about here. Do you need an adtional inline amp (like the Alpine KTP-445U?) or can you just swap the speakers out?

For a powered sub, I was considering a slim underseat type deal like the Kenwood KSC-SW11. So if I understand correctly, I would need that PAC thingy to give me the line out/RCA I would require to feed the sub? (dont want to tap into the speaker wires, sounds like a bad idea but I have nothing to base that off of) Then its the blue wire/remote switch part Im confused about where tap that into? I read about a fuse tap I could use, I would assume you COULD power the amp instead of going direct to the battery?

Any info advice is appreciated!!

I'm about to buy a 2017 CX-5 Touring, and believe it or not I like the seats more on the Touring with the suede inserts than the full leather on the GT.

hey OP I kinda get what your saying about the seats. I think its a good balance of getting the leather look, but it was suprisingly great comformt. Should be good in winter /summer I would imagine vs being all leather.

I, like many other have said, have never been a Bose fan. However, the Bose in our 2017 GT is actually pretty decent. I have been pleasantly surprised.

I think the Bose in my 2016 sounds terrific, but I do agree that if you intend on upgrading to a custom stereo system you might want to go with the stock. Will be easier to fit amps and speakers to the non-Bose system.

I have 2017 CX5 GT. The Bose sound system is ok. But I definitely will upgrade the sound system. I'm adding a subwoofer right now, probably have it done by tomorrow. if i have the time i would change the front door speakers with american bass.
The pros: no distortion at high volumes, good clarity, and fullness; the cons: bass does not hit the lows I wanted and not punchy enough.

Easy on the 72 Datsun.....

My first car was a '72 510 Wagon in blue, 3spd automatic. My dad installed a Realistic 8-track player and two 5" round speakers in the cargo area as it was his/our (only) car at the time. It came stock with a AM radio and was my first car at age 16.

It burned leaded gas and got so-so mileage. it ate oil and fouled its own plugs with the stuff both inside the cylinder and outside along the boots. It wouldn't spin a tire to save it life (even in the wet) and tragically got totaled (by me) in my sophomore year on the way home from (high) school traveling on I-20 West in Ft Worth shortly after a rainstorm when a girl (college age) spun her Pontiac 6000 in front of me after being cut-off by a semi. We had a head to head collision, travelling the same direction. Her car lost a few plastic bits. My Datsun, locked up brakes instantly, smashed the whole driver front fender into the radiator and back over the wheel.

As the collision was happening, it seemed like an eternity when I noticed it was going to happen and then when the cars hit. Of course it was probably 3 - 5 seconds at freeway speeds (55-60). My passenger and I were both wearing our seatbelts, even the "optional" shoulder belt that could be hooked into the lap belt and no one was hurt, but the car was a total loss.

My wagon was not the race-car sedan version by a long stretch and not as good looking at the one in your profile pic.

Last edited:
Back