Love Hate Relationship in less than one Week

The tire pressure is 36 psi all around in my car while the sticker on the door says the pressure should be set at 34 psi cold.

Maybe I'm whining at bit. The other day going into town the road noise seemed almost as high as for my Civic - but that is subjective, hence the reaction. Heavy traffic probably adds to the noise level.

As regards the sound system I found that turning off the centerpoint improved the sound to my sense of hearing. A little more tweaking the equalizer also brought improvement.

This is very true. It's the exact same story here in Toronto. We don't get much snow at all, but when it does snow it's either mild, a ton of snow, or some sort of slushy/icy f*ck-fest and just about anything in between.

My daily is the 528i, which is RWD (a rarity here in Toronto) and I had tons of fun drifting about this winter. The car actually behaved fantastic in the snow. very predictable drifts, good stopping power, excellent steering and better traction then FWD off the line. It was tons of fun, yet quite capable at the same time.

It's really not all unicorns and rainbows though. This thing was a god damn death trap in the snow with all-seasons tires. It was slide all over the place and it literally would not stop. A light turned red on me down an incline and a Mazda (funny enough) changed lanes to take the open spot in front of me. It was either I rear-end a Mazda or cut into the left-turn Lane and run the red. Needless to say, I bought a set of winter tires off the classifieds the next day...

RWD with good winter tires is not only a crapload of fun but ultimately safer + easily as capable as any fwd running as tires and awds running half or more worn as tires.. i got away fine for years on them w/rwd cars never an issue..then the house and driveway from hell...and the hills around here...i need that takeoff hook up that only awd and winters provide..maybe a dozen days, some years just a handful but i don't get snow days, period. This also led to my 2 car solution..1 awd, 1 rwd been the case for almost a decade and i plan to continue..rwd is too much fun to give up;) i had 1 fwd in my life..2006 acura tl 6mt..gone in 12mo..torque steer and sucked in snow..good car for the $ but it had to go.

Last edited:
When it comes to the car's EQ, specifically with Centerpoint, it's going to be a listener's preference. What Centerpoint is attempting to do is similar to what an aftermarket processor's time alignment is trying to accomplish: minimize peaks in the sonic spectrum and reinforce a center image. Not saying this Bose system makes the mark on that at all, but understand that a system with a neutral sound signature and proper staging will definitely come across as odd to those who haven't encountered it, especially when you're more used to hearing sound come all around you.

For reference, my previous car was set up with only a front stage and approximate time alignment values put in via the head unit, optimized for the driver's position. Any other seat in the car, as a result, takes a hit in terms of staging. If you frequently travel solo, I'd suggest leaving it on and becoming accustomed to the effect. If you travel with passengers, I wouldn't have it on at all.

This is a secret. Don't tell anyone wanting to move here.

But....

Winter here is not a constant snow winterland from November to April. It's one day it snows 2 feet (though in Denver any high amount of accumulation is kinda rare), the next day it spends melting, and the day after that it's 70 degrees clear blue sky and you wouldn't even know it snowed 2 days before. Which then teeters in that nice 40-70 degree whether (depending on month) until the next snowstorm which could be days/weeks/months away. I mean this year we got s*** for snow really. It was nothing. There are days in January where you can wear shorts and a t-shirt if you really wanted to...

So no, really do not need them at all.

If I still lived up in the mountains, then sure. But just in Denver? Nope. My AWD/All seasons have handled winter here just fine. Been very impressed with my CX-5 in blizzards/snowstorms.
We average 68. Still worth it here. Last year was really mild here, too. Although not far east from me in the snowbelt, over 100 isn't unheard of.

The tire pressure is 36 psi all around in my car while the sticker on the door says the pressure should be set at 34 psi cold.

Maybe I'm whining at bit. The other day going into town the road noise seemed almost as high as for my Civic - but that is subjective, hence the reaction. Heavy traffic probably adds to the noise level.

I wear hearing aids.

I think your hearing aids is causing you to hear more road noise.

Depending on their configuration, you will hear more background/foreground noise.

Maybe adjust the setting to a lower volume and see if that helps.

We average 68. Still worth it here. Last year was really mild here, too. Although not far east from me in the snowbelt, over 100 isn't unheard of.
It's just not worth it to me to have snow tires. Most of the time on heavily snowing days I just work from home. It if I really have to drive in it, I know my limits what I can and can't do and it's fine. Believe it or not my snow performance with my AWD and Michelin Latitudes has been outstanding. Winter tires are not worth it for me for a few days worth of snow out of several month of winter/spring.

RWD with good winter tires is not only a crapload of fun but ultimately safer + easily as capable as any fwd running as tires and awds running half or more worn as tires.. i got away fine for years on them w/rwd cars never an issue..then the house and driveway from hell...and the hills around here...i need that takeoff hook up that only awd and winters provide..maybe a dozen days, some years just a handful but i don't get snow days, period. This also led to my 2 car solution..1 awd, 1 rwd been the case for almost a decade and i plan to continue..rwd is too much fun to give up;) i had 1 fwd in my life..2006 acura tl 6mt..gone in 12mo..torque steer and sucked in snow..good car for the $ but it had to go.

If you are a good driver and know how to control a skid/ hold a drift, RWD is by far more capable. You can enter corners quickly and easily and will simply oversteer instead of understeer with a FWD car. Braking is superior because weight transfers to the front axle more linearly.

With Mazda CX-5 for example, if the AWD system is cleverly tuned then it will handle with more potential then FWD. but I simply cringe when I see all these people in snowy areas opting for xDrive on their BMW claiming that it's safer... a lot of them buy xdrive purely so they don't need to swap to winter rims every year. RWD with snow tires is by far the safer choice. All this ignorance is ridiculous. These people are stuck in 1970 reminiscing of their daddies old Cadillac that was a sloppy mess in the snow. These new BMW's are extremely planted and capable regardless of the weather conditions provided that you have the correct tires. And some driver skill. Even during the most insane drift angles where I really thought I ****** up, the car held its angle and did one fish-tail to the other side predictably before settling down. With some attentive countersteering, you can pull off some crazy s***. And I'm talking about an open differential here which is nowhere near as capable as an LSD in snow or rain.

This previous winter was my first with a RWD car and snow tires, and it was by far the most fun I've ever had driving. I can never look back to FWD simply because it is overall not as capable as a daily driver in snow. It's much more difficult to setup the front axle for the chassis to rotate properly. You're easily more likely to overload the front tires with steering or braking unless you are extremely attentive and careful.

I just can't stand hearing this nonsense about RWD being unsafe in the snow any longer. Cars have improved A LOT between 1970 and 2000+.

Last edited:
Right but for me those open rear diffs in my later rwds...02 c230 and 09 128i combined with the hills i contend with starting @ground 0 necessitated a beefier driveline..hell my 91 mr2 turbo with hakkapelitas mounted was a fkng winter force to be reckoned limited almost exclusively by ground clearance

Last edited:
Gotcha.

Well I replaced my all-season Geolandars with all-season Michelins and my snow/winter driving improved considerably.

For the bolded, why Yokohamas and not others? What's the source for this statement?

Because they are both made in Japan and deals happen between next door neighbors. Yokohama is a decent tire, but overall, it that great at anything. Definitely budget material. You won't find them on any performance car that's not out of their parent country.

Yep this OE Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H tire is specially made for Mazda as the regular one carries 101H load index. The price is very impressive at $210.85 each but the regular Geolandar G91A costs only $148.10. Based on "280 B A" UTQG it's definitely not a good tire, not to mention it has poor customer reviews at Tire Rack. It'd be crazy to get such set of OE tires again with that kind of price!

Both of those tires suck. I replaced mine in the first few hundred miles with continental cross contact lx20s, which at the time, we're the highest rated tire in that size in every way. Also cheaper. Now the Michelins have taken that spot, but still cost only 150ish a tire.

This is a secret. Don't tell anyone wanting to move here.

But....

Winter here is not a constant snow winterland from November to April. It's one day it snows 2 feet (though in Denver any high amount of accumulation is kinda rare), the next day it spends melting, and the day after that it's 70 degrees clear blue sky and you wouldn't even know it snowed 2 days before. Which then teeters in that nice 40-70 degree whether (depending on month) until the next snowstorm which could be days/weeks/months away. I mean this year we got s*** for snow really. It was nothing. There are days in January where you can wear shorts and a t-shirt if you really wanted to...

So no, really do not need them at all.

If I still lived up in the mountains, then sure. But just in Denver? Nope. My AWD/All seasons have handled winter here just fine. Been very impressed with my CX-5 in blizzards/snowstorms.

Exactly. Buying snow tires here in the Ozarks is the same kind of fail.

Because they are both made in Japan and deals happen between next door neighbors. Yokohama is a decent tire, but overall, it that great at anything. Definitely budget material. You won't find them on any performance car that's not out of their parent country.

Really? Lx20s that's what you're going with bc reviews say so? Wow is honestly all i can come up with for that.

Last edited:
Bottom line it all ******* depends..every model within brands is often extremely different, every consumers want/need/expectations are very different.

Mazda tuned their chassis on Yokohama tires.

Really? Lx20s that's what you're going with bc reviews say so? Wow is honestly all i can come up with for that.

Mine have done great, and already outlasted the oem geolanders by 5k miles and are still far far far from the wearbars. Snow, ice, rain, dry, they are doing awesome.

Did you have trouble with a set of lx20s or something?

Last edited:
Mazda tuned their chassis on Yokohama tires.

I understand that, but put some Michelin on, and you will get far longer treadlife, and similar or better performance.

I know my 370z came on Potenzas, and it left me on PSS. PSS was much better. Actually safe in the rain, too.

Mine have done great, and already outlasted the oem geolanders by 5k miles and are still far far far from the wearbars. Snow, ice, rain, dry, they are doing awesome.

Did you have trouble with a set of lx20s or something?

Tires are extremely subjective beasts particularly how we consumers experience them...generally vs our last set of loud as **** baldinis so yeah these serene riding contis or overpriced long lasting but bad in most weather michelins are when freshly mounted feel great. Per my experience any tire that lasted more than idk 30-35k+ was a dangerous pos when the going got rough because in order to acheive such longevity you have a compound that's as stiff as wedding cock particularly when temps drop below 40 ie fu king dangerous. The lx20s well in my experience they made a bad handling honda pilot handle even worse and get even shittier mpg which i was stunned at the opportunity cost..they were reasonably quiet and rode well but i hated the car even more with those on vs i think mich primacys that came on it that rode nice but were fkng scary (just rain) after about 18-20k

Last edited:
Tires are extremely subjective beasts particularly how we consumers experience them...generally vs our last set of loud as **** baldinis so yeah these serene riding contis or overpriced long lasting but bad in most weather michelins are when freshly mounted feel great. Per my experience any tire that lasted more than idk 30-35k+ was a dangerous pos when the going got rough because in order to acheive such longevity you have a compound that's as stiff as wedding cock particularly when temps drop below 40 ie fu king dangerous. The lx20s well in my experience they made a bad handling honda pilot handle even worse and get even shittier mpg which i was stunned at the opportunity cost..they were reasonably quiet and rode well but i hated the car even more with those on vs i think mich primacys that came on it that rode nice but were fkng scary (just rain) after about 18-20k

Let's discuss my Potenza's and Michelin's real fast.

Potenzas come OEM on the Sport/Touring combo packaged 370z's, at least, in 2012. At the 6500 mile mark, doing 65mph on the freeway, the vehicle hydroplaned spectacularly in the rain (keeping pace with traffic). Thereafter, I noticed that any time I hit water at over 50mph, it felt VERY LIGHT, even when it wasn't raining, and it was just water on the road FROM RECENT RAIN. I drove 50 or under from there on out. I replaced the tires at 17k miles with Michelin PSS's. Absolutely GONE was this sensation, and it never hydroplaned again. I have had a bunch of sports cars, and this was the ONLY situation in which doing 65 in the rain resulted in something like that. I've done 100+ in HEAVY rain on F1 GSD3's in my Trans Am when I was much younger and dumber. No loss of steering feel, even.

Now, as to my LX20's. They did great in the last snow storm I was in. Stopped, cornered, etc. just as well as my Destination LE 2's on my Jeep did. They are NOT A SNOW TIRE, but in 6" of snow, I felt quite safe and got home just fine through the mountain roads. Much thanks also to the CX5's AWD system and electronic nannies.

Going back to my Michelins, they were much better in cold weather than the Potenza's. I could expect no real degredation down to about 30-35*F, while the Potenza's became much lesser a tire at around 40-45*f, from what I recall. On my Z06, the cut-off with my F1 G:2's was only like 50-55*F!!!

That said, we are talking about perceptions without stop watches. So let's actually look at comparisons that are meaningful (have data andn ot "feelings", b ecause I kindof think feelings are bulls***, to be honest with you).

LX20 vs. Pirelli and Hankook (total budget tire, IMO)
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=196

LX20 vs. Bridgestone and Goodyear
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=157

More ratings where the LX20 did awesome. (Keep in mind, the Michelin was NOT available in my tire size in 2015...)
http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/400801/consumer-reports-which-brand-beat-michelin

My point is, the LX20 slaughtered every other tire in nearly every category, across a menagerie of measurable and quantifiable data, that came in my CX5 Touring's tire size, in mid-2015. Are there better tires now? Yes, yes there are, and I plan to upgrade once these wear out, but I have 35K miles on them now, and they have enough tread to make it through this winter, I believe, and the summer thereafter, and I will upgrade them toward the beginning of fall, 2018.

I am unsure what tires came on the Pilot because I don't know what year you had. It is possible it had different size tires than my CX5 (likely, even...) and your tire choices were also different, and a better tire in that size was what WAS on it.

My CX5 on LX20's in the rain:
My CX5 on LX20's in a snowstorm (13*F, as you can see):

Last edited:
If you need 1 tire all year to last long and be able to handle snow you could certainly do worse but to me they handled and returned almost winter tire like results in that way..my gy tripletreds were way better imo..but did get loud as **** and rode pretty firm as are my dunlop 3d winters but they handle!! Pirelli scorpion winters were 10x better for the pilot..firmed it up but at least you could potentially avoid s*** if the need presented itself!

Last edited:
Back