Backup camera trajectory lines mazda cx5 2017

Why bother having lines that state "hey, if you were driving perfectly straight backwards this is where you'd end up. But since you're turning we have no ideas where you'll end up!"

(uhm)

I hated them on my CX5 but never bothered to see if they could be turned off. I like the dynamic lines on our CRV, but even more so on the QX.

I even get forward projections on the QX.

I hated them on my CX5 but never bothered to see if they could be turned off. I like the dynamic lines on our CRV, but even more so on the QX.

Don't think they can be turned off on the CX-5 or for that manner any Mazda without some sort of hack

I don't understand how they are useless, how else do you know how wide your car is? How else would I backup into a parking spot perfectly every time. I don't really understand how the bendy lines contribute anything that I don't already know. Once you spend a week with the Mazda one knows where the car will go and how it lines up without needing lines to guide you.

there is more than that even there is headlight wash splinters and it looks better with them cause under the headlights of cx5 its already looking empty. and the European one has chrome ( or i think brushed aluminium) under the bumper running all around the car and a mid trim has aluminum brushed looking try under the bumper . plus the other mentioned stuff. I believe that the camera guide lines give you more feeling of the space around and without them i used to not look at the camera until i rented another car with guide lines and started to trust and use the camera more. I cant email Mazda north america and tell them " I drove and tested the car in Europe and bought it from US and shipped it cause its not yet in Bahrain".
Untitled_1.jpg

Last edited:
My 370Z had functional back-up lines which responded to steering angle and vehicle movement. My CX5 just has the "danger zones". I think it was "cool" on the 370Z, but had it been just like the CX5, I wouldn't have much minded. Honestly, this is one of those potato/potato things for me.

I've used several cars that have had those trajectory lines for the backup camera. They add absolutely nothing to backing up. I'd rather actually focus on where I am going then to see if my trajectory lines match up to where I need to go.

Like 7 said, once you spend a week or even a couple days with any car, you should know exactly the vehicle operates when backing up.

I actually find the CX5 lines to be a little "off". It's weird. I can't recall off the top of my head but they're either slightly too wide or just slightly too narrow. So I just use the backup camera to see where I am going and use the mirrors to make sure I am even.

Bending lines aside, I think the coolest feature of all is the rear cross traffic alert. So crazy that it can spot a car(i think it even does pedestrians) way before I can even see it. So cool and useful.

there is more than that even there is headlight wash splinters and it looks better with them cause under the headlights of cx5 its already looking empty. and the European one has chrome ( or i think brushed aluminium) under the bumper running all around the car and a mid trim has aluminum brushed looking try under the bumper . plus the other mentioned stuff. I believe that the camera guide lines give you more feeling of the space around and without them i used to not look at the camera until i rented another car with guide lines and started to trust and use the camera more. I cant email Mazda north america and tell them " I drove and tested the car in Europe and bought it from US and shipped it cause its not yet in Bahrain".
Untitled_1.jpg
Definitely agree with you on headlight washers. And that front parking sensor just next to headlight washer in picture, would love to have those!

I actually find the CX5 lines to be a little "off". It's weird. I can't recall off the top of my head but they're either slightly too wide or just slightly too narrow. So I just use the backup camera to see where I am going and use the mirrors to make sure I am even.

Bending lines aside, I think the coolest feature of all is the rear cross traffic alert. So crazy that it can spot a car(i think it even does pedestrians) way before I can even see it. So cool and useful.

I am glad I'm not the only one that thinks the backup lines are off. They drove me crazy until I figured out the right "mental offset" If I actually use them I scrub the curb. I miss the bendy lines. A previous Mercedes had them.

OT: And I love the TECH package HUD. I am amazed at the ability of the camera to find speed signs even when I've missed them. The radar controlled cruise control is nice too.

I am glad I'm not the only one that thinks the backup lines are off. They drove me crazy until I figured out the right "mental offset" If I actually use them I scrub the curb. I miss the bendy lines. A previous Mercedes had them.

All countries should have side camera which would negate scrubbing a kerb

OT: And I love the TECH package HUD. I am amazed at the ability of the camera to find speed signs even when I've missed them. The radar controlled cruise control is nice too.

The side lines match up with the mirrors, so they extend a bit past the tires.

Back