About to Get CX-5 GT AWD, Looking for advice

Ahhhh. Well s***... My dealer was still offering it! Lol. Still glad I went with the app. No extra fobs period.
Hmm. If you go to Mazda.com and look for accessories for 2017, it wasn't listed last time I checked. Is it now?
I have no doubt they still work on 17s but they probably weren't selling enough and killed it. Maybe your dealer has some stock left and is trying to sell them to 17 owners. LOL

I'm going to get the premium package, and the rear parking sensors.
Don't bother to get rear parking sensors from Mazda accessary. It's an after-thought and even comes with an odd on/off switch installed in the cargo area. It's not the same as factory-installed front/rear parking sensors found in the non-US CX-5's which is truely integrated with backup camera and infotainment system.

Mazda genuine rear cargo cover is something you really want from Mazda acceaasraies.

Don't bother to get rear parking sensors from Mazda accessary. It's an after-thought and even comes with an odd on/off switch installed in the cargo area. It's not the same as factory-installed front/rear parking sensors found in the non-US CX-5's which is truely integrated with backup camera and infotainment system.

Mazda genuine rear cargo cover is something you really want from Mazda acceaasraies.

Yes I am not fond of the rear parking sensors either, as it is a generic PORT add-on when the cars arrive here.

With the reverse camera display, is a rear parking sensor even needed anymore?

Yes I am not fond of the rear parking sensors either, as it is a generic PORT add-on when the cars arrive here.

With the reverse camera display, is a rear parking sensor even needed anymore?

I don't know if I'd say it's necessity but I have it on my Jeep and going from the Jetta that only had the camera to the Jeep, I said I'd never buy a vehicle without it ever again. The parking sensors I'm accustomed to have 4 arcs in the instrument cluster that denote exactly how close you are to something - the camera can be a little deceiving but the parking sensors have been100% accurate in the 3 years I've had the Jeep. You can also tell when you're completely clear of something behind you when the beeps stop even when it looks like you might hit it going off the camera. Just my 2 cents but that's also coming from my exp with a Jeep too so take it for what it's worth

Having some experience with my mother in law's 17 Cherokee I stand by what I said. It's a nice bell (as in bells and whistles) but the camera is more then enough. Emphasis on more then.

Last edited:
I don't know if I'd say it's necessity but I have it on my Jeep and going from the Jetta that only had the camera to the Jeep, I said I'd never buy a vehicle without it ever again. The parking sensors I'm accustomed to have 4 arcs in the instrument cluster that denote exactly how close you are to something - the camera can be a little deceiving but the parking sensors have been100% accurate in the 3 years I've had the Jeep. You can also tell when you're completely clear of something behind you when the beeps stop even when it looks like you might hit it going off the camera. Just my 2 cents but that's also coming from my exp with a Jeep too so take it for what it's worth
The factory-installed front/rear parking sensors on non-US CX-5 works similar to the way you described on the Jeep. And I agree it's very useful feature even with backup camera. It not only gives you more precise distance to any potential object including some dead spots at corners the backup camera couldn't see, but also the audio tone for warning if you take your eyes off the backup camera screen. Of course there's front parking sensors which is very helpful for parallel parking too. I really want this front/rear parking sensors, but not the one from Mazda accessary for US customers.

It's interesting to hear that 2 fobs are required with aftermarket remote start! Salesman said there are "3 choices" for dealership remote start install & showed me the "easiest" one in his office. I asked if it were an aftermarket FOB & he sort of said "no". It did have Mazda badging but I felt his reply was a bit evasive so I need to ask about 2 fobs! When asked, he said after market won't void warranty because they do install. I'm glad to find this forum before handing over $32K as I don't like surprises! I walk & already I hate having 1 fob in my pocket, so 2 is out) Salesman also said to avoid the MMS as the "technology isn't there yet ". Tks for any input as taking hubby back today. I here ahead of buying to check what else to ask & check out during test drive! Tks! (looking at AWD Premium & some sort of remote as live in Northeast with no garage so that also impacts color choice! I love the white but never had white due to concern about showing dirt with no garage!)

Last edited:
My God, are we really that spoiled today? 20 years ago, remote start was making your kid go start the car. And now it's "I'm not carrying 2 fobs!". Really?
If the second fob is the Mazda branded one it also allows you to heat the car remotely. Pretty damn cool.

It's interesting to hear 2 fobs required aftermarket remote start! Salesman said there are "3 choices" for remote start they install at dealership& the easiest was the one I saw (only saw/not demonstrated)had Mazda badging. He said "push button twice and then push something once".. Said it won't void warranty because they do install. When I asked if it was same key fob that would come with car if one didn't get remote & he said "nothing is different" but I'm hearing otherwise here. If he "neglected" to tell me I'll get 2 fobs, then I don't like his evading that so glad to find this forum before handing over $32K & getting surprised after! (I walk & already I hate having 1 fob in my pocket, so 2 is out) Salesman also said to avoid the MMS as the "technology isn't there yet "...( Tks for any input as taking hubby back today, so I'm here to see what else to ask them & check out during test drive!
That happened with my Mazda 6...salesman said it was one key fob, had it put in the deal, went back a week later to get it installed...and the service guy is the one that said it'll be two key fobs. So I said I didn't want it anymore and they basically gave me a credit for the price... I got all weather mats and the difference went back into my loan.

My suggestion is call the service dept and ask them about the key fobs.

As far as the MMS.... The technology is there, it may be a little slower than what most people expect, but it works. Ive started my vehicle/locked the doors from inside of my building at work,, which is easily close to 1/3 of a mile from the parking lot. The installation has two small black boxes installed on the inside of the windshield on the passengers side for the communications.

I have the Mazda Mobile Start. I love it when I use it... Yes, it takes maybe a minute or more to log in with password then pin number to start the vehicle, BUT, that beats having to carry a SECOND key fob with the regular remote start. I've gotten used to logging in to MMS prior to leaving the house/work instead of trying to start the vehicle as I'm walking up to it.
Thanks for sharing this info as trying to decide whether to go with MMS or dealer-installed FOB remote (they failed to mention this adds a 2nd fob)

Did dealer install your aftermarket remote? The salesman only showed me 1 fob for their aftermarket remote start yesterday and it had a key on it as I recall. I wonder if something has changed lately? If not, then he really fooled me good as I left with the impression that the remote and key were all integrated into one fob!

I guess you don't walk with clothing that lacks deep pockets! If you call being 65 & having no garage "spoiled" because I just want answers ahead, then so be it. I have no kid to go out & start my car (& never had them do that when they were around) I was looking for clarity as salesman didn't offer it & I probably added tmi. I can deal with 2 fobs, especially since leaning there's a monthly fee with the MMS remote.

Last edited:
I'm not giving you a hard time here. I showed you a picture of my two fobs. It doesn't take deep pockets to carry those. Not even ...remotely deep. Yea, I said it. Remotely. Ha. Anyway... No..I don't have tiny women slacks pockets. [emoji16] My remote would still fit there fine.
Yea, spoiled. Not because you want answers. Just by our modern living. One car comes out with a feature and we expect every car to have it overnight when just a few short years ago this technology was non existent. Yea, remote start has been around for a good 10 years or so, but it took car companies AGES to get on board with that. It's only really been a factory option on cars for the past 2 maybe 3 years. Some cars still don't offer it at all.
I can start my car from 300 yards away. Imagine if I said that 10 years ago? Having a second fob to do that is no big deal. In my humble opinion.

I will be getting aftermarket this fall. Mainly because I want the engine to continue running once I open the door. And no, there isn't a safety issue because the doors remain unlocked. And, even if someone were to break in, once the car doors are opened, the system looks for the key fob. No key fob around, car shuts down within 30 seconds. Plus I will have the option for longer ranges, and 2 way systems where I get a notification back the car has in fact started. Never had remote start before but probably annoying to get out to the car, only to find out it didn't actually start.

There are actual ways to program the OEM key fob to control the remote start as well but the shop said it'd be another $100. But I like the 2 way feedback from the additional remote.

There are two Mazda options for remote start for the 2017 CX-5, MMS (Smart phone) and RES (fob). See the fifth post by me in this thread https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...remote-start&p=6522441&highlight=#post6522441 for a picture of the Fob that comes with RES. There are third-party fob systems with much longer range. My dealership offered a third-party option that did not void the warranty if it was installed at the dealer. I ended up getting the Mazda RES.

Oh, are you talking about the one that is as long as the normal fob? Mazda, strangely, dropped that for the 2017.
Only option for 17 is phone app or aftermarket.

We bought a 2017 CX5 GT Premium on Sat. Paid for remote. Told it was Mazda factory-made..yada yada. Took car in today for install and because there is soooo much conflicting info online and at each dealership (!) I asked them to describe what I was getting. They said it would be a small piece installed into my original key fob. I was thrilled! They held up a fob that looked exactly like the ones we got with the car, and they also showed me a horrible, old-fashioned-looking flat square thing with a telescoping antennae on it. I laughed and the 3 other Mazda people gathered around also laughed as no one could believe how old-school it looked, and big! So we all said "no way" and it was agreed to install the one that would use my key fob for a all-in-one remote starter......Then they asked for other key...(we live 30 mins away from dealer so I called hubby and he drove the other one, in his possession, to the dealer. When I made the appt on Monday, I wasn't told to bring both fobs as I was told I was getting a separate fob for the starter at that time...this is where the confusion began & why I asked to see what I was getting). So once the 2nd fob arrived all was good. Then, 2 1/2 hours later, I was told my car was ready & was handed the remote with the antennae. They installed the wrong one after all the earlier clarifying! So now car is going back on Thurs to uninstall wrong one & put the correct one in. But your post is now scaring me as this can either get resolved, or get worse. IF there IS no all-in-one remote starter for the original fob, then what are they installing on Thurs! (The serv dept mgr said they just installed one last week so she insists it does exist, but is she thinking 2016.5 or 2017? That's my question after reading your comment above...) This is becoming a real sh*t-show that will hit the fan if I go back only to find out I only have the choice of the one I refused. (I don't have a smart phone so the MMS cell remote is not possible for me). They feel horrible but I think it's going to get worse as I did overhear the serv mgr speaking to their tech dept and she was telling him that yes they DO make one that installs into the original key fob....Holding my breath ain't happening as I think I'll end up dead as strong feeling this is not over. (only saving grace is that I went to another dealer in my state to look at the car (2017 mind you) and even test drove one. When I asked about remote starter, he showed me a fob that is identical to the fob our car came with. I said don't I have to carry a 2nd fob for the starter and he said no...this is what you will be handed after the install and he again held up the long, narrow fob...Sorry so long-winded here..

Apparently they did bring back another option for 17. Originally, a separate one was offered for 16 and it wasn't listed at all for 17, but now there is one...with no picture.
I'll be interested to see what you get?

7th one down

Apparently they did bring back another option for 17. Originally, a separate one was offered for 16 and it wasn't listed at all for 17, but now there is one...with no picture.
I'll be interested to see what you get?

7th one down

New option but probably haven't been trained on how to install it (uhm)

Back