About to Get CX-5 GT AWD, Looking for advice

If you click that link, the page is rendered showing 2017 CX-5 several places in the text, but if you look at the link text it's actually the 2016. If you go through the year/model selection process on that page you only get that remote starter if you choose 2016. If you choose 2017, it lists MMS and RES (the one without a picture), which is the one I described earlier.

Here's why they didn't show the picture - they know no one would want it! It's
new for 2017 as a "fix" due to customers complaints that the old one (that is stylish at least) didn't reach far enough :
DSC_0208.jpg
The one you posted is for the 2014 CX5 if you go back up to the heading, you can see 2014 is highlighted. THAT is a remote I could live with as it matched the OEM key. What I got is a joke. Here's photo of it with my OEM keys:
DSC_0209.jpg

Last edited:
Here's why they didn't show the picture - they know no one would want it! It's
new for 2017 as a "fix" due to customers complaints that the old one (that is stylish at least) didn't reach far enough :
DSC_0208.jpg
This's a perfect example on how do Mazda North American Operations screw things up for Mazda products in US market! Masahiro Moro needs to do something better on good and sensible option and accessory selections for US customers or he needs to go.

Although I've always been preferred any optional equipments and accessories coming from OEM, but for Mazda CX-5 if I really want a good remote start system I'd seriously consider a good aftermarket 2-way remote start system utilizing original factory key fob. Those Mazda MMS and RES remote starts are simply ridiculous!

Last edited:
This is what they installed. It's NOT what they said they were installing. They said they were installing the remote wiring into my OEM fob. They DID show me this one and everyone in the service area laughed (me too) at it because it's so old school & cheap looking/feeling, but this is THE NEW ONE outside of getting the MMS. It appears I'm a bit stuck with it even though they told me to bring the car in tomorrow to undo it and give me what they were supposed to install. I spent the am today calling several dealerships, dealership parts dept and Mazda USA. No one could give a straight answer Except that there is NO 3rd option as I was told. This was from a dealer's parts dept guy who said the only way I can get a remote starter installed into my OEM key fob is if the dealer takes it to a 3rd party installer to do it for them, and it won't be easy as they then can't use whatever the car already has that they use with their MMS and the remote fob you see here. I said I would think an outside install would void the warranty & he said the 3rd party installer probably gives the dealership a ltd warranty. Really? Seriously? No one besides Mazda is touching my car at this point and why wouldn't they tell me this? I just don't know who to believe anymore....Here's what I got:
DSC_0208.jpg
P.S. Tks Xeler8ing!
That's completely wrong. That looks an old cordless telephone handset. I would go back to them and demand they give you the correct one they promised. If they keep screwing up, go to head quarters.

BTW No problemo [emoji3]

I have the double key thing that is shown to the right of that other thing. I know Mazda likes to be old school but that is plain ridiculous!

I have the double key thing that is shown to the right of that other thing. I know Mazda likes to be old school but that is plain ridiculous!

LOL! Dick Tracy Called, he wants his remote car starter back!

This's a perfect example on how do Mazda North American Operations screw things up for Mazda products in US market! Masahiro Moro needs to do something better on good and sensible option and accessory selections for US customers or he needs to go.

Although I've always been prefer any optional equipments and accessories coming from OEM, but for Mazda CX-5 if I really want a good remote start system I'd seriously consider a good aftermarket 2-way remote start system utilizing original factory key fob. Those Mazda MMS and RES remote starts are simply ridiculous!

So you would allow them to take your car "down the street" to some 3rd party installer who would put remote into OEM key fob? I think that's what they plan on doing, but without telling me. I'm just scared to have another shop fooling with the engine after Mazda fooled with it putting this in...Just not sure what to do at this point. I'm waiting for them to call me back as I called them & said I "might" consider keeping it if they credited me for it and gave me a cargo cover and cargo mat. Waiting to see what they offer me unless they want to proceed and give me what I ordered...BTW - we leased (3 yrs) and paid full MRSP so not like we're looking for anything on top of any deal previously given..

Last edited:
So you would allow them to take your car "down the street" to some 3rd party installer who would put remote into OEM key fob? I think that's what they plan on doing, but without telling me. I'm just scared to have another shop fooling with the engine after Mazda fooled with it putting this in...Just not sure what to do at this point. I'm waiting for them to call me back as I called them & said I "might" consider keeping it if they credited me for it and gave me a cargo cover and cargo mat. Waiting to see what they offer me unless they want to proceed and give me what I ordered...BTW - we leased (3 yrs) and paid full MRSP so not like we're looking for anything on top of any deal previously given..
If I really want a remote engine start, I'll choose a vehicle comes with a remote start from factory like Honda CR-V. Since we chose a CX-5, we simply live with it without a RES since there's no such feature from factory. Many dealer-installed "accessaries" from Mazda are not designed by Mazda itself such as MMS、RES、and rear parking sensors but made by some third party companies. There're several aftermarket RES systems for CX-5 and some of them seem decent, at least better than Mazda's MMS and RES on paper. Many actermsrket ones can use your original key fob, but very few of them can keep the engine running once you opened the door. Shutting down the engine once you opened the door after the engine has been started found on many RES systems is a very annoying feature to me. Here's a thread discussing many third-party RES systems:

Remote Start

If I were you in the situation and feel the RES is a necessary feature, I'd insist the aftermarket system using the factory key fob. Since you have 3-year lease on your CX-5, your Mazda dealer should be able to include this aftermarket RES system with 3-year new car warranty. You're covered if you have any issues from the system even if it's installed by some shop "down the street". :)

Makes me feel sort of glad we don't get remote start here. Don't have to put up with this sort of rubbish (Mazda dealer not knowing what to do, rubbish remotes etc)

I love mine and had zero qualms with dealer allowing a 3rd party install. It's 2017. These things were difficult to install 10 years ago. Not today. I sure as hell wouldn't buy a CR-V just for remote start in one fob. *shiver*.
Friend bought a 6 and her dealer did the same thing. Tiny remote.
There's no way that antenna thing is really a standard Mazda remote. Why would they do from the 16s style fob to that hideous thing.

I love mine and had zero qualms with dealer allowing a 3rd party install. It's 2017. These things were difficult to install 10 years ago. Not today. I sure as hell wouldn't buy a CR-V just for remote start in one fob. *shiver*.
There's no way that antenna thing is really a standard Mazda remote. Why would they do from the 16s style fob to that hideous thing.

It shouldn't be difficult to install but seems it can be :(

Few people like to carry an additional fob just for remote start. Now this additional fob has a telescopic antenna! How are we going to keep this kind of fob in our pocket without catching something? This's 2017 and almost everybody else has remote start build-in to factory key fob, including aftermarket kit for CX-5!

That's Mazda genuine "accessary" RES alright. You can see the Mazda logo hidden behind the sticker! :)

Back