About to Get CX-5 GT AWD, Looking for advice

Pjp91389

:
Jeep GC (WK2)
Hi Guys,
I am getting ready to lease a 2017 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD. I'm doing some final research and wanted to see if any actual owners have some input. Anything you like or don't like, features you'd recommend or could do without, anything that might help me with lease negotiations, anything really.

I'm going to get the premium package, and the rear parking sensors. I'm debating getting the snowflake white with the parchment interior... does the white on white look weird or does it look good?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

I went with Soul Red Crystal and black interior. I wear jeans and was concerned about long term care of parchment leather. Its an awsome vehicle I cant reccomend highly enough!

I have a GT w/ premium (fwd). So far the only option that kinda got on my nerves enough to where I turned it off is , the Lane Keep Assist. I'm glad I'm able to turn it off. And it stays off even after I've turned the vehicle off and back on.....

Thanks for the input so far! Never even thought about color transfer or anything like that on the parchment color interior.

One thing I'm kind of rattled about is that only the drivers window has auto. Not really a huge deal, just seems a little odd.

Does anyone have the remote start? I'm going to try to get the dealership to throw it in to seal the deal because I'm in an area with ~8 Mazda dealers within 30 miles so I have some decent leverage. Also, does anyone have feedback on the nav system? They didn't have the USB or SD card or whatever it is in the one I test drove so I have no idea what it even looks like. I despise the nav in my jeep so I'm curious how the CX-5 is. Does it show green/yellow/red for how traffic is in real time?

Thanks for the input so far! Never even thought about color transfer or anything like that on the parchment color interior.

One thing I'm kind of rattled about is that only the drivers window has auto. Not really a huge deal, just seems a little odd.

Does anyone have the remote start? I'm going to try to get the dealership to throw it in to seal the deal because I'm in an area with ~8 Mazda dealers within 30 miles so I have some decent leverage. Also, does anyone have feedback on the nav system? They didn't have the USB or SD card or whatever it is in the one I test drove so I have no idea what it even looks like. I despise the nav in my jeep so I'm curious how the CX-5 is. Does it show green/yellow/red for how traffic is in real time?
I have the Mazda Mobile Start. I love it when I use it... Yes, it takes maybe a minute or more to log in with password then pin number to start the vehicle, BUT, that beats having to carry a SECOND key fob with the regular remote start. I've gotten used to logging in to MMS prior to leaving the house/work instead of trying to start the vehicle as I'm walking up to it.

I have the Mazda Mobile Start. I love it when I use it... Yes, it takes maybe a minute or more to log in with password then pin number to start the vehicle, BUT, that beats having to carry a SECOND key fob with the regular remote start. I've gotten used to logging in to MMS prior to leaving the house/work instead of trying to start the vehicle as I'm walking up to it.

Wait a second - for the remote start you have to carry the regular key fob and then another fob that has only the mobile start on it? No remote start integrated into a regular lock/unlock fob?

Wait a second - for the remote start you have to carry the regular key fob and then another fob that has only the mobile start on it? No remote start integrated into a regular lock/unlock fob?
Correct. When I bought my 2015 Mazda 6, I had it purchased in the deal....they called me to install it, and showed me the new key fob and explained I needed to carry both...fast forward to when I bought the cx5....sales person said the exact same thing so naturally I opted for the MMS.

Navi: No live traffic (red, green lines). Otherwise it's pretty good. I'd give it 8 / 10. Only because lately it it didn't have 2 things I was looking for. But it has some neat features: shows current speed limit on what road your on, if your speeding. It shows what is at the next 3 freeway exits. Handy this weekend when I had 25 miles left in the tank but knew there was gas at exit 1 and 3 coming up. Also, it shows every cross road you come to even when it's not active.
There is a separate traffic map thing but it's kind of bad.

Remote Start: the official one is a phone app, not a fob. I got aftermarket on my 16. This is not hard to carry around.
f5ff673c8497d5465454bd10557b483d.jpg

Last edited:
Actually shot a video of it when we were looking for gas.
https://youtu.be/SCFHZsB5RS8

Notice the speed limit sign is red. That means you're speeding.
*Note: you can't touch the screen while in motion. I hacked mine to allow that. But the knob works fine to do that.

Last edited:
Navi: No live traffic (red, green lines). Otherwise it's pretty good. I'd give it 8 / 10. Only because lately it it didn't have 2 things I was looking for. But it has some neat features: shows current speed limit on what road your on, if your speeding. It shows what is at the next 3 freeway exits. Handy this weekend when I had 25 miles left in the tank but knew there was gas at exit 1 and 3 coming up. Also, it shows every cross road you come to even when it's not active.
There is a separate traffic map thing but it's kind of bad.

Remote Start: the official one is a phone app, not a fob. I got aftermarket on my 16. This is not hard to carry around.
f5ff673c8497d5465454bd10557b483d.jpg
There is two options from Mazda for remote start. The Mazda Mobile Start app and the slightly cheaper key fob.

Mazda Mobile can start the vehicle from inside a building from "anywhere"

Key fob can start the vehicle up to 300 ft away.

There is two options from Mazda for remote start. The Mazda Mobile Start app and the slightly cheaper key fob.

This business with the remote start is kind of baffling. They figured out the whole app thing but couldn't make a fob with the button built into it? My Jeep GC and my Jetta before that (both 2014s) both had the remote start on the normal fob. I'll just chalk it up to having to deal with trade-offs in going to a new brand and vehicle - just a head scratcher.

Different dealers install different systems apparently. Mine was installed at the dealer and has a 1200 ft range. Friend of mine got a 6, she has a different remote starter.

Different dealers install different systems apparently. Mine was installed at the dealer and has a 1200 ft range. Friend of mine got a 6, she has a different remote starter.
Possibly.... I'm looking at Mazda's website now and it says 300ft. (Part # C960-V7-620).with that said, OP should contact his dealer and see what it is they offer.

Oh, are you talking about the one that is as long as the normal fob? Mazda, strangely, dropped that for the 2017.
Only option for 17 is phone app or aftermarket.

Oh, are you talking about the one that is as long as the normal fob? Mazda, strangely, dropped that for the 2017.
Only option for 17 is phone app or aftermarket.
Ahhhh. Well s***... My dealer was still offering it! Lol. Still glad I went with the app. No extra fobs period.

Ahhhh. Well s***... My dealer was still offering it! Lol. Still glad I went with the app. No extra fobs period.

So for the mobile app, do you need to pay for it at some point? I remember my Jetta had that functionality but it was like XM, I had a trial period but once that was over I had to pay for it versus the fob that you have for unlimited time. You'd think paying the $500+ for the remote start would get you unlimited use but I figured I'd ask.

On a separate note, what do you guys think is a reasonable price to negotiate dealers down to? I saw on truecar that a decent amount of people were getting prices of under $32,000 before TTL. I'm trying to figure out if this should be my target. Also, would it be unreasonable to try negotiate using the point that the added options like the premium package and whatnot don't really depreciate? Any insight on how well Mazda's hold their value and what I should be using as a residual value - I've been estimating based off of 50% residual but I'm thinking that's too low of a percentage over only a 3 year period.

Thanks again for all the help! You guys and this forum and have been very helpful in my CX-5 education, I wish I would have done this before making my past vehicle decisions. Cheers!

$61 / year I was quoted. And I understand that. The car has cellular radio in it to make this work. But really? Basically, $5 / month to start your car remotely? Nope.

Back