Wrench light on and vehicle won't downshift from 6th. Goes away after restarting eng

Elgreco

:
cx-9 2010
This is an occasional problem. Not all the time, just every now and then.

Once on 6th gear, once I let go of the gas, an engine jerk happens , wrench light comes on, and basically, it won't downshift.
Obviously revs go down and it will pick up only slowly. 6th gear stays on, and it won't even change manually. It just slowly picks up speed as long as I press the gas. No downshifting happens unless I stop at a light which only then it drops down to first.

Funny thing is once I turn off the car and restart, it goes away and I am good until the next time it happens and so on.

It happened to me so far about 6-7 times ans mostly as I came back from a trip from Florida, on the highway.
It had previously happened 3 times at different occasions but as I said it goes away with a re start.

My garage guy said he couldn't read it as it didn't do it when I took it to him. it must be something electronic.

Any idea anyone before I had to resort to Mazda and have to pay their ridiculous prices just to put it in ?

Thanks in advance.

most likely a solenoid or PCM issue. be sure to also change transmission fluid and filter while you are in there.

Back