2017~2024 Tire Pressure Sensor for 2017 CX-5 - $91.74 EACH!

Not a very good system if it works like that.
I use a tyrepal system on my rear car wheels and caravan, the display shows exactly what each tyres pressure and temperature is , so no guess work.

Okay, I'm about to replace the factory 19" GT wheels on my 18 CX-5 with some used aftermarket wheels, so I've been looking into the TPMS. I don't have it on my winter tires.

Now it makes some sense what Mazda has done. The 17 and 18 models use TPMS sensors in the wheel instead of ABS. Aside from cost, from a customer's perspective, this implementation is the most simple. It just works. With the ABS system one needs to reset anytime something is done to the tires. With the TPMS system, the customer doesn't need to do anything, other than investigate which tire is low when the light comes on.

I think the reason we don't get a discrete display for each tire, is that the Mazda system doesn't know which sensor is where, it just looks for 4 sensors that are happy. In that state, no light, any other state, light. Its dead simple. If the tires have a compatible TPMS sensor, no programming is required. The car finds them on its own.

I've had cars with punctures to the rear tyre which have be virtually impossible to detect, the Mini metro for one.
Also had the same on a caravan, only white van man passing alerted me to the tyre being low, a strong side wind at the time disguised the puncture as towing a caravan in side winds can lead to more instability than normal.

Where I worked in a melting shop scrap on roads was an occupational hazard, so with around 50 punctures over 25 years I consider myself well aware of slow punctures. (guitar)

Maybe I am lucky but I also notice visually when a tyre doesn't seem right. Always catches my eye. Picked up almost half a dozen slow leaks on different vehicles over the years.

I am no guru or special but from an early age I've always noticed things and have always paid particular attention to vehicles appearance and sounds.

Since a member said he talked to his Mazda dealer and been told there's no tire pressure sensor with wheels for 2017 CX-5, I called my Mazda dealer from overseas trying to verify. Well, at least for US/NA market, there's tire pressure sensor with valve stem on each wheel for 2017 CX-5:

Part No.: BHA4-37-140 List $91.74 Each!
41ymaplVM3L._SX300_.jpg

Now I'm really puzzled why Mazda made this change at least in US/NA market for 2nd-gen CX-5 as apparently in some areas the pressure sensors don't exist for their TPMS like the 1st-gen CX-5. There's no added benefit to have tire pressure sensors at current TPMS setup in 2nd-gen CX-5 without direct-read tire pressure display like Nissan Rogue other than expensive maintenance cost. Imagine how much more it'd cost for extra set of winter wheels with snow tire? And how much more it'd cost when we're getting a new set of tires?

Here's an example of direct-read tire pressure display TPMS utilizing tire pressure sensors on Nissan Rogue:

2017-nissan-rogue-safety-tire-pressure-monitor-large.jpg

That is absolute crap. 4 Benjamins, nearly, and you don't even have a real pressure sensor, just an idiot light?! I think the ones for my C6 Z06 were only like $120/ea, and they gave individual PSI read-outs like the OP picture. The ones in my Jeep did, as well, and they were like $40 aftermarket, $79 for the OEM MOPAR.

What is the justification/reason for the CX5's cost vs. feature set, with regard to this item?

I am pretty sure the CX-5 knows the individual pressures. They just aren’t showing it to us.

I think your assumption in the last paragraph is not true. It is trivial to define which tire is where. Furthermore, there is a thread in the accessories forum, where user "Isky" is getting an aftermarket receiver that does use our existing transmitters to show actual pressure and which tire.

Please explain the trivial process. If I rotate my tires in my garage, how do I define which is where?

I didn't think the sensors were that expensive when I priced them here in Canada. I thought they were about $50 or so each.

As for swapping wheels in the winter, some people chose to just not get sensors and spend the winter with the TPMS light on the dash.

Remember for anyone with a '17 and you want to get winter wheels and sensors, wheels for the 13-16 will be no good to you, the sensors won't mount correctly in the wheels. the '17 steel wheel has a flat spot for the sensor nut to sit flush and seal correctly.

Tire Pressure Sensor for 2017 CX-5 - $91.74 EACH!!!

But if Mazda had decided to go more expensive route on TPMS system, why couldn't they give us direct-read tire pressure display TPMS like Nissan Rogue?

2017-nissan-rogue-safety-tire-pressure-monitor-large.jpg
Okay, I'm about to replace the factory 19" GT wheels on my 18 CX-5 with some used aftermarket wheels, so I've been looking into the TPMS. I don't have it on my winter tires.

Now it makes some sense what Mazda has done. The 17 and 18 models use TPMS sensors in the wheel instead of ABS. Aside from cost, from a customer's perspective, this implementation is the most simple. It just works. With the ABS system one needs to reset anytime something is done to the tires. With the TPMS system, the customer doesn't need to do anything, other than investigate which tire is low when the light comes on.

I think the reason we don't get a discrete display for each tire, is that the Mazda system doesn't know which sensor is where, it just looks for 4 sensors that are happy. In that state, no light, any other state, light. Its dead simple. If the tires have a compatible TPMS sensor, no programming is required. The car finds them on its own.
Each TPMS tire pressure sensor has assigned a unique ID, hence they can be located easily by TPMS system. Mazda just chose not to utilize this feature to display air pressure for each tire.

From the experience of my ABS sensor TPMS system, I have only done TPMS reset may be twice, which were only for trial purpose. My TPMS has never given me a warning after adding air to the tires, tire rotation, and a nail on front tire although I spotted it early. To me my ABS sensor TPMS is almost nonexistent and doesn't bother me at all.

Please explain the trivial process. If I rotate my tires in my garage, how do I define which is where?

As each has a unique id, raising and lowering the pressure on one tire would uniquely locate it the first time. Then each time you rotate, just keep track of what you rotated where and reassign.

Easy. If you can rotate tires, then adding or removing air should be trivial.

Other cars have the same process if no programming tool is used.

I swapped out the OEM Toyos on my 2017 a month ago since I hated them and I had it done at an indy shop. They didn't bat an eye about the TMPS and didn't even mention a rebuild or anything. I think everyone is making a big ado about nothing. I had TPMS like this on my BMW as well. I went through three full sets of tires on plus at least a handful of single tire replacements due to flats and none of the shops ever made a comment about them either. I was never charged for a rebuild and never had to replace them in over 85,000 miles I put on the car.

Last edited:
I swapped out the OEM Toyos on my 2017 a month ago since I hated them and I had it done at an indy shop. They didn't bat an eye about the TMPS and didn't even mention a rebuild or anything. I think everyone is making a big ado about nothing. I had TPMS like this on my BMW as well that I went through three full sets of tires on plus at least a handful of single tire replacements due to flats and none of the shops ever made a comment about them either. I was never charged for a rebuild and never had to replace them in over 85,000 miles I put on the car.

The direct TPMS sensors in the wheels do have a battery that lasts 7-10 years. They also have an o-ring/grommet seal that is part of the valve stem assembly. You don't replace valve stems at every tire change when TPMS sensors are installed, but at some point they do need a cheap rebuild kit to replace the seal.

I agree that the TPMS don't need a rebuild kit every time tires are changed, but I would definitely do it every 2nd tire set, and probably replace the sensor battery or the sensor if the battery is fixed.

I expect the mazda sensors will come down in price eventually.

I think Redi-Sensor/Continental makes the OEM sensors and they sell compatible ones for significantly less.

I am fairly sure the sensors are Continental. Tire Rack sells them with their kits at a much lower cost vs Mazda dealer. They look identical to what is on the OE wheels down to the identical valve caps.

I understand the difference between direct-read (with tire pressure sensors) and indirect-read (with ABS speed sensors) TPMS and the benefit of each. But if you want to go more expensive route for the system, why make the system almost hidden acting like the old system? Mazda should offer tire pressure readout for each tire with a graph since it has the capability now to make the new TPMS more useful to warn drivers more abnormal tire pressure situations.

Unfortunately new direct-read TPMS on 2017 CX-5 should be able to but can't warn over-inflated or under-inflated tires if the tire pressures are similar among all tires like a 2017 CX-5 owner found out the hard way after driving 4 months / 2,000 miles with 45 psi in all of his tires. Although each pressure sensor has its unique ID, how does the new TPMS on 2017 CX-5 warn the driver which tire has abnormal pressure without an easy-to-understand graph?

As for old TPMS on our 1st-gen CX-5, the system is good enough and did catch a low-pressure situation early on my friend's CX-5 with a tire measured at 20 psi. And I have never had a need to reset my TPMS after I adjusted tire pressure due to seasonal change and after the tire rotation.

I agree with YRW here. Due to following reasons:

1. From 2017 onwards, Mazda could have easily done a better job as they introduced dedicated sensors per tire but I guess lazy to implement it.
  2. I am pretty sure if a good OBD scanner is introduced into the system it'll show these sensors are capable enough to report per tire
  3. The added cost really doesn't justify. Today, in my 2016 I can happily swap wheels summer/winter without almost $60 to $80 added cost.
  4. I don't need to add almost $200 added cost if I want dedicated winter wheels
  5. In my 2016 I regularly put / check tire pressure and never really pressed reset during tire rotation/etc. BUT NEVER HAD A PROBLEM
  6. This winter, twice my TPMS sensor lit up and both times it was legitimate. Both times, I had NOT reset the sensor before this happened. Last reset was in hot summer.
  7. In 3 occasions - Costco, Walmart and my trusted mechanic: all commented how benefical it is I have a wheel based sensor. I have OEM tires so in Costco have to pay each time for balance/rotation. However, each time they have given me $2 off just because I don't have TPMS sensors in every tire.

I agree with YRW here. Due to following reasons:

1. From 2017 onwards, Mazda could have easily done a better job as they introduced dedicated sensors per tire but I guess lazy to implement it.
  2. I am pretty sure if a good OBD scanner is introduced into the system it'll show these sensors are capable enough to report per tire
  3. The added cost really doesn't justify. Today, in my 2016 I can happily swap wheels summer/winter without almost $60 to $80 added cost.
  4. I don't need to add almost $200 added cost if I want dedicated winter wheels
  5. In my 2016 I regularly put / check tire pressure and never really pressed reset during tire rotation/etc. BUT NEVER HAD A PROBLEM
  6. This winter, twice my TPMS sensor lit up and both times it was legitimate. Both times, I had NOT reset the sensor before this happened. Last reset was in hot summer.
  7. In 3 occasions - Costco, Walmart and my trusted mechanic: all commented how benefical it is I have a wheel based sensor. I have OEM tires so in Costco have to pay each time for balance/rotation. However, each time they have given me $2 off just because I don't have TPMS sensors in every tire.

1. Many cars have direct TPMS as the 17 mazda does and do not show pressure per tire
2. Yes the sensors do report per tire - this has been discussed. Direct TPMS works this way. Mazda just doesn't display it
3. As others have mentioned, there are cheaper sensors
4. Reset is not needed if light goes on for TPMS - not with direct TPMS.
5. I had Direct TPMS in 2 vehicles - multiple tire balance/rotations at Costco - always free.

Tire Pressure Sensor for 2017 CX-5 - $91.74 EACH!!!

1. Many cars have direct TPMS as the 17 mazda does and do not show pressure per tire
2. Yes the sensors do report per tire - this has been discussed. Direct TPMS works this way. Mazda just doesn't display it
3. As others have mentioned, there are cheaper sensors
4. Reset is not needed if light goes on for TPMS - not with direct TPMS.
5. I had Direct TPMS in 2 vehicles - multiple tire balance/rotations at Costco - always free.
1. Many? As I mentioned above Nissan Rogue has direct tire pressure readout in instrument cluster. Honda CR-V has direct tire pressure readout in its phone app HondaLink. Not sure if Toyota RAV4 had direct-read TPMS. This means at least 2 out of 3 top selling compact CUVs can read tire pressure individually with direct read TPMS.

2. Why not let CX-5 owners access this safety related information? CX-5's direct read TPMS can't warn the driver in the situation for sensonal pressure changes or very high tire pressure from factory, if all 4 tires are having similar psi's! Even if you get a TPMS warning light, you still have to figure out which tire is having the problem! This supposedly more sophisticated and expensive TPMS works exactly like the old system. Why bother?

3. Cheaper and truely compatible TPMS pressure sensor still would cost at least $50 each, that's additional $200 if you want an extra set of winter tires! Again, this system performs exactly like the previous cheaper TPMS, why bother?

4. I only hit my 2016 TPMS reset button twice out of my curiosity, never have a need to do it after tire pressure adjustment、tire rotation、even a nail on the tire (caught it early).

5. bmninada had to pay for tire balance/rotation at Costco is because his OE tires are not bought from Costco as he mentioned. Although my Discount Tire fixed the puncture、put a new valve stem、and balanced the tire for free on one of my OE Toyo tires. ;)

I thought Mazda did implement readings in the dash. Why even change the system then if you didn't add anything?

1. Many? As I mentioned above Nissan Rogue has direct tire pressure readout in instrument cluster. Honda CR-V has direct tire pressure readout in its phone app HondaLink. Not sure if Toyota RAV4 had direct-read TPMS. This means at least 2 out of 3 top selling compact CUVs can read tire pressure individually with direct read TPMS.

2. Why not let CX-5 owners access this safety related information? CX-5's direct read TPMS can't warn the driver in the situation for sensonal pressure changes or very high tire pressure from factory, if all 4 tires are having similar psi's! Even if you get a TPMS warning light, you still have to figure out which tire is having the problem! This supposedly more sophisticated and expensive TPMS works exactly like the old system. Why bother?

3. Cheaper and truely compatible TPMS pressure sensor still would cost at least $50 each, that's additional $200 if you want an extra set of winter tires! Again, this system performs exactly like the previous cheaper TPMS, why bother?

4. I only hit my 2016 TPMS reset button twice out of my curiosity, never have a need to do it after tire pressure adjustment、tire rotation、even a nail on the tire (caught it early).

5. bmninada had to pay for tire balance/rotation at Costco is because his OE tires are not bought from Costco as he mentioned. Although my Discount Tire fixed the puncture、put a new valve stem、and balanced the tire for free on one of my OE Toyo tires. ;)

OK, that is 2 of 3 cars that have it.. i have Chevy and Lexus with TPMS that had no individual tire display. My other Mazdas with indirect readings only have a dummy light too.

Indirect measures rotational speed/diameter to determine pressure. It has its own short comings and can get out of whack. I would not say it is better then direct. It is different and has problems too. But from a consumer stand point it has no added cost.

Costco now does rotate and balance on non-costco tires. At least mine does.

I thought Mazda did implement readings in the dash. Why even change the system then if you didn't add anything?

Indirect TPMS has some shortcomings. One is if all tires deflate at same rate, you could be running low pressure on all and never alert. Also, if you replace one tire and it is newer, you have to retrain the system. Other things can throw it out of whack and require retraining which takes a few miles of driving.

Direct TPMS requires sensors and batteries, but it offers actual PSI monitoring.

Back