2017~2024 Tire Pressure Sensor for 2017 CX-5 - $91.74 EACH!

Its certainly the same. My MKV Rabbit had a similar system that I'm pretty sure was also Continental. I don't think there is any reason to reinvent the wheel.

Tire Pressure Sensor for 2017 CX-5 - $91.74 EACH!!!

I do also prefer direct sensors vs the abs inferred method.
But if Mazda had decided to go more expensive route on TPMS system, why couldn't they give us direct-read tire pressure display TPMS like Nissan Rogue?

2017-nissan-rogue-safety-tire-pressure-monitor-large.jpg

I'm sure they could with software as the hardware is there. Small company with engineers focused elsewhere. You have to stick to your scope or feature creep will delay you. They probably just didn't think it was that important.

Yeah, without direct read, I'd rather have the passive system without dedicated sensors.

But if Mazda had decided to go more expensive route on TPMS system, why couldn't they give us direct-read tire pressure display TPMS like Nissan Rogue?

2017-nissan-rogue-safety-tire-pressure-monitor-large.jpg

Okay, I'm about to replace the factory 19" GT wheels on my 18 CX-5 with some used aftermarket wheels, so I've been looking into the TPMS. I don't have it on my winter tires.

Now it makes some sense what Mazda has done. The 17 and 18 models use TPMS sensors in the wheel instead of ABS. Aside from cost, from a customer's perspective, this implementation is the most simple. It just works. With the ABS system one needs to reset anytime something is done to the tires. With the TPMS system, the customer doesn't need to do anything, other than investigate which tire is low when the light comes on.

I think the reason we don't get a discrete display for each tire, is that the Mazda system doesn't know which sensor is where, it just looks for 4 sensors that are happy. In that state, no light, any other state, light. Its dead simple. If the tires have a compatible TPMS sensor, no programming is required. The car finds them on its own.

You do replace valve stems each time you get a new set of tires. The pressure sensor and valve stem are one unit and you have to wonder if you want to replace pressure sensor valve stem unit for the next 60K~80K miles of tire service.

The last time I bought tires, Discount Tire rebuilt the pressure sensors ($7.00 each).

Resynching sensors has become a tremendous profit center for some tire dealers. A wheel swap that should cost $24 or so now costs $50.

And yeah, I know, do it yourself, sucker, and screw the TPMS light. That's what I used to do, till my back went south. (sick)

The last time I bought tires, Discount Tire rebuilt the pressure sensors ($7.00 each).

The parts they are "rebuilding" are for making a seal between the valve assembly and the wheel, and preventing leak. The pressure reading and transmitting portion (the expensive part) have sealed battery, limited lifespan, and are disposable and if they are replacing that part, it is probably in the $40-$100 range per wheel.

Discounttire direct quoted $180 for 4 TPMS sensors in new wheel assemblies if configured online.

With my CX-5 I swapped the wheels myself and didn’t have to do anything other than drive the car to reset the sensors.

The parts they are "rebuilding" are for making a seal between the valve assembly and the wheel, and preventing leak. The pressure reading and transmitting portion (the expensive part) have sealed battery, limited lifespan, and are disposable and if they are replacing that part, it is probably in the $40-$100 range per wheel.

They also replaced the spring loaded 'valve' that screws into the assembly (Schrader?).

With my CX-5 I swapped the wheels myself and didnt have to do anything other than drive the car to reset the sensors.

Wish my wife's Subaru worked that way.

Have others with 17s had the same results as jthj?? I'm not swapping wheels on mine [yet], so can't say.

Okay, I'm about to replace the factory 19" GT wheels on my 18 CX-5 with some used aftermarket wheels, so I've been looking into the TPMS. I don't have it on my winter tires.

Now it makes some sense what Mazda has done. The 17 and 18 models use TPMS sensors in the wheel instead of ABS. Aside from cost, from a customer's perspective, this implementation is the most simple. It just works. With the ABS system one needs to reset anytime something is done to the tires. With the TPMS system, the customer doesn't need to do anything, other than investigate which tire is low when the light comes on.

I think the reason we don't get a discrete display for each tire, is that the Mazda system doesn't know which sensor is where, it just looks for 4 sensors that are happy. In that state, no light, any other state, light. Its dead simple. If the tires have a compatible TPMS sensor, no programming is required. The car finds them on its own.

I think your assumption in the last paragraph is not true. It is trivial to define which tire is where. Furthermore, there is a thread in the accessories forum, where user "Isky" is getting an aftermarket receiver that does use our existing transmitters to show actual pressure and which tire.

You have simply been very lucky.

My son with the Mazda3 recently arrived at our house on the back of a transporter, TPMS gave him a early warning saving a blow out at 70mph plus with his family on board, unfortunately the sealant supplied failed to hold the leak under any pressure over 20psi. So he had to be recovered a 2 hour trip took over 4 hours.

He now has a spare space saver.

In all my years of driving, never encountered a blow out.

Because of my proactive checking, I have picked up slow leaks both visually and when getting pressures checked.

Any new tyre fitted in the UK requires a new valve, otherwise they will not fit the tyre.
You do replace valve stems each time you get a new set of tires. The pressure sensor and valve stem are one unit and you have to wonder if you want to replace pressure sensor valve stem unit for the next 60K~80K miles of tire service.

You have simply been very lucky.

My son with the Mazda3 recently arrived at our house on the back of a transporter, TPMS gave him a early warning saving a blow out at 70mph plus with his family on board, unfortunately the sealant supplied failed to hold the leak under any pressure over 20psi. So he had to be recovered a 2 hour trip took over 4 hours.

He now has a spare space saver.
Maybe I am lucky but I also notice visually when a tyre doesn't seem right. Always catches my eye. Picked up almost half a dozen slow leaks on different vehicles over the years.

I am no guru or special but from an early age I've always noticed things and have always paid particular attention to vehicles appearance and sounds.

Last edited:
Back