2017~2024 Tire Pressure Sensor for 2017 CX-5 - $91.74 EACH!

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Since a member said he talked to his Mazda dealer and been told there's no tire pressure sensor with wheels for 2017 CX-5, I called my Mazda dealer from overseas trying to verify. Well, at least for US/NA market, there's tire pressure sensor with valve stem on each wheel for 2017 CX-5:

Part No.: BHA4-37-140 List $91.74 Each!
41ymaplVM3L._SX300_.jpg

Now I'm really puzzled why Mazda made this change at least in US/NA market for 2nd-gen CX-5 as apparently in some areas the pressure sensors don't exist for their TPMS like the 1st-gen CX-5. There's no added benefit to have tire pressure sensors at current TPMS setup in 2nd-gen CX-5 without direct-read tire pressure display like Nissan Rogue other than expensive maintenance cost. Imagine how much more it'd cost for extra set of winter wheels with snow tire? And how much more it'd cost when we're getting a new set of tires?

Here's an example of direct-read tire pressure display TPMS utilizing tire pressure sensors on Nissan Rogue:

2017-nissan-rogue-safety-tire-pressure-monitor-large.jpg

Correct. Australian version this time has no tyre pressure monitoring system

Yep, factory TPMS sensors are very expensive. I had to buy a set for my old Subaru and the dealer quoted me like $100 ea. I bought a set off ebay for $50 and they were fine, used them for years.

I always check tyre pressures once a month so me not having a TPMS is a non issue

I always check tyre pressures once a month so me not having a TPMS is a non issue

TPMS is supposed to alert you of a leak in a tire giving you a chance to slow down and pull over before a blow out occurs.

The indirect TPMS (using ABS sensors) has lead to so many dealer visits that I understand why Mazda choose to put the sensors in the wheels this time around, but that price/sensor is just ridiculous!

Last edited:
TPMS is supposed to alert you of a leak in a tire giving you a chance to slow down and pull over before a blow out occurs.

The indirect TPMS (using ABS sensors) has lead to so many dealer visits that I understand why Mazda choose to put the sensors in the wheels this time around, but that price/sensor is just ridiculous!

In all my years of driving, never encountered a blow out.

Because of my proactive checking, I have picked up slow leaks both visually and when getting pressures checked.

You could already be on the freeway before the indirect system finally alerts you about the pressure, where a direct system with a sensor inside the tire will tell you as soon as the key is turned on.

It also helps long term tire monitoring, when all tires lose pressure at same rate, there is no alert with the indirect system. Whereas the DIRECT system will alert you.

My only experience with a blowout was on my new 98' Integra, and I would not have been helped by a TPMS, as it was caused by a drum brake bar puncturing and entering the tire at freeway speeds.

It was one of these
mxbrry23a_brake_shoes_96_Yukon.jpg

Last edited:
If it is such a crucial piece of technology, it would have been mandatory part of all vehicles by now.

Tire Pressure Sensor for 2017 CX-5 - $91.74 EACH!!!

Why would it cost you more when getting a new set of tires???
You do replace valve stems each time you get a new set of tires. The pressure sensor and valve stem are one unit and you have to wonder if you want to replace pressure sensor valve stem unit for the next 60K~80K miles of tire service.

It's actually cheaper than the 2011 Hyundai Elantra I had. Dealer price for them were $156 per.

You do replace valve stems each time you get a new set of tires. The pressure sensor and valve stem are one unit and you have to wonder if you want to replace pressure sensor valve stem unit for the next 60K~80K miles of tire service.
Usually the only reason to pull them would be to replace the battery.

The direct TPMS sensors have a battery life of roughly 10-12 years or so and then they will need to be replaced. When you replace tires, good tire shops will have a rebuild kit that will replace the valve core, rubber washer and retaining nut on the valve stem of the sensors. You don't replace the entire assembly with each tire change. Cost is $10-15 dollars per wheel depending on the shop. Normal rubber valve stems will be around $2-5 dollars apiece installed, so you are correct in that it will cost a little more with each tire change. Maybe $30 more total.

There's no added benefit to have tire pressure sensors at current TPMS setup in 2nd-gen CX-5 without direct-read tire pressure display like Nissan Rogue other than expensive maintenance cost.

Yrwei, this section on TPMS from the 2016 manual is no longer in the 2017 manual. Maybe it will help explain why Mazda made this decision as none of these situations would apply to the 2017.

When Driving
Tire Pressure Monitoring System

NOTE
Because this system detects slight changes in tire conditions, the timing of the warning may be faster
or slower in the following cases:
The size, manufacturer, or the type of tires is different from the specification.
The size, manufacturer, or the type of a tire is different from the others, or the level of tire wear is
excessively different between them.
A run-flat tire, studless tire, snow tire, or tire chains are used.
An emergency tire is used (The tire pressure monitoring system warning light may flash and then
continue illuminating).
A tire is repaired using the emergency flat tire repair kit.
The tire pressure is excessively higher than the specified pressure, or the tire pressure is suddenly
lowered for some reason such as a tire burst during driving.
The vehicle speed is lower than about 15 km/h (9.3 mph) (including when the vehicle is stopped),
or the drive period is shorter than 5 minutes.

The vehicle is driven on an extremely rough road or a slippery, icy road.
Hard steering and rapid acceleration/deceleration are repeated such as during aggressive driving
on a winding road.

Load on the vehicle is applied to a tire such as by loading heavy luggage to one side of the
vehicle
System initialization has not been implemented with the specified tire pressure.

In the 2017 manual, it mentions you will hear a 3 second beep and the dash icon will light when tire pressure decreases and a 30 second beep when there is a significant loss of pressure. It also states that each sensor has a unique ID code, so identifying which tire is low should not be a problem.

Once again, it's consumer advocate yrwei on the scene in News Chopper 3! You fail to mention that an advantage of the new system is there's no need to press a bloody reset button every time one adds air to a tire! But that doesn't seem to fit with your worldview that all is wrong with the CX-5 and Mazda is out to screw with the American consumers.

Tire Pressure Sensor for 2017 CX-5 - $91.74 EACH!!!

Yrwei, this section on TPMS from the 2016 manual is no longer in the 2017 manual. Maybe it will help explain why Mazda made this decision as none of these situations would apply to the 2017.

In the 2017 manual, it mentions you will hear a 3 second beep and the dash icon will light when tire pressure decreases and a 30 second beep when there is a significant loss of pressure. It also states that each sensor has a unique ID code, so identifying which tire is low should not be a problem.
I understand the difference between direct-read (with tire pressure sensors) and indirect-read (with ABS speed sensors) TPMS and the benefit of each. But if you want to go more expensive route for the system, why make the system almost hidden acting like the old system? Mazda should offer tire pressure readout for each tire with a graph since it has the capability now to make the new TPMS more useful to warn drivers more abnormal tire pressure situations.

Unfortunately new direct-read TPMS on 2017 CX-5 should be able to but can't warn over-inflated or under-inflated tires if the tire pressures are similar among all tires like a 2017 CX-5 owner found out the hard way after driving 4 months / 2,000 miles with 45 psi in all of his tires. Although each pressure sensor has its unique ID, how does the new TPMS on 2017 CX-5 warn the driver which tire has abnormal pressure without an easy-to-understand graph?

As for old TPMS on our 1st-gen CX-5, the system is good enough and did catch a low-pressure situation early on my friend's CX-5 with a tire measured at 20 psi. And I have never had a need to reset my TPMS after I adjusted tire pressure due to seasonal change and after the tire rotation.

Back