Latest Infotainment System Update

I finally figured it out. Mazda updates Gracenote by region. It's most likely the same content but if you don't have the correct file for your region, the Mazda OS won't load the update. In my case, I had downloaded an update by the name "Gracenote_ADR_October2017.up" which was NOT for the United States. I finally found an update by the name "Gracenote_NA_October2017" and it loaded just fine. You have to be a little patient as the update appears to hang toward the end of the process. Now I have Gracenote version 00.08.000.
Thanks! Such a simple thing, I wish I had noticed this too. Seems Mazda still has the wrong link on their own site for the North American Gracenote update. However, the NA update is hosted on the same server so we just need to manually fix the link.

ADR is for Australia/NZ/Thailand/Philippines/South Africa-America/Oceania
NA is for North America, USA, Canada, Mexico ONLY

ADR Link: https://s3.amazonaws.com/visteon/public-gracenote/Gracenote_ADR_October2017.up
NA Link: https://s3.amazonaws.com/visteon/public-gracenote/Gracenote_NA_October2017.up

Hello All...my apologies if it was stated previously in this thread but can someone give step-by-step instructions on how to update? I have a 2017 CX-9 GT and don't know if it has the latest firmware installed

One of the options is "Buy updates and extras"
https://mazda-row.naviextras.com/shop/portal/downloads
You're looking at Navigation "extras" for ROW (rest of world). Since US doesn't have WiFi enabled Navigation for real-time traffic I don't think there are actually any extras that you can buy for the US.

To update Navigation SD card, you'll need to download the Mazda toolbox program to your computer and follow instructions within the program to get updates. I did this a few months back for my car and there was nothing available yet (not surprising since 2017 is fairly new and I think these updates are only made once per year by Mazda).

Edit: I just popped my Nav SD card into my laptop to check for updates and there is a February 2018 maps update

Last edited:
You're looking at Navigation "extras" for ROW (rest of world). Since US doesn't have WiFi enabled Navigation for real-time traffic I don't think there are actually any extras that you can buy for the US.

To update Navigation SD card, you'll need to download the Mazda toolbox program to your computer and follow instructions within the program to get updates. I did this a few months back for my car and there was nothing available yet (not surprising since 2017 is fairly new and I think these updates are only made once per year by Mazda).

Edit: I just popped my Nav SD card into my laptop to check for updates and there is a February 2018 maps update

Yup...downloading now

FYI, there's a new firmware that was released, version 59.00.540.

And no, I don't have a changelog nor does it contain Android Auto/Apple CarPlay

Just updated my car to 59.00.540 yesterday afternoon (along with Feb 2018 maps update and Gracenote update to v8). I haven't had a chance to drive in it yet and see how everything works but when I do I'll report back if I notice any bugs/improvements.

Just updated my car to 59.00.540 yesterday afternoon (along with Feb 2018 maps update and Gracenote update to v8). I haven't had a chance to drive in it yet and see how everything works but when I do I'll report back if I notice any bugs/improvements.

I just formatted my flash drive and downloaded Gracenote v8 and also updated my SD card for Feb 2018 maps but I don't know how to update my OS from 59.00.441 to 59.0.540??

I just formatted my flash drive and downloaded Gracenote v8 and also updated my SD card for Feb 2018 maps but I don't know how to update my OS from 59.00.441 to 59.0.540??
It's sort of an involved process, but you can read about it here: http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...a-mzd-connect-firmware-downloads-updated.html. It's a relatively easy, but time consuming and high risk procedure (you risk bricking your CMU completely if you do not follow the instructions exactly). The time consuming part is that it probably takes a half hour or so to update the CMU firmware and you have to remain in the car and depress the brake pedal occasionally to keep the CMU from turning off.

Someone maintains/uploads all of the software and Gracenote upgrades here: https://my.hidrive.com/share/hsodpqja.l#$/Mazda_Firmware. The official Mazda instructions are there too, in PDF format. I recommend printing these out and following them step by step.

You can also ask your dealer to perform the update, though ymmv (some may not want to or be able to do it or may try and charge you for it). I've never asked my dealer; always upgraded on my own. Just be careful to follow the instructions.

Thanks for sharing news of the new firmware update.

My search for info on 59.00.540 led me to http://www.mazda.co.jp/carlife/owner/connect/ and then through to some Japanese docs that translate down to 4 changelog items:

USB audio
  • iPod nano Fifth Generation can be used.

Navigation
  • Not only the name of the highway but also the name of the route can be displayed on the status bar.
  • In route learning, we made specification to increase learning frequency.
  • When there is a destination in the narrow street, we made it possible to set up a natural route which is generally considered.

I installed 59.00.540 last night and so far the only difference I notice is a significant improvement in boot up time. I haven't noticed anything else.

On the last version, I would get the Mazda logo for a while and it would eventually load. Often times it could take a minute or 2. Now the infotainment system is usable and responsive almost immediately when turning the car on. I wonder if Mazda updated the kernel to improve boot times. If this performance maintains then I am really happy with the update.

Hopefully next up is CarPlay!!!

I installed 59.00.540 last night and so far the only difference I notice is a significant improvement in boot up time. I haven't noticed anything else.

On the last version, I would get the Mazda logo for a while and it would eventually load. Often times it could take a minute or 2. Now the infotainment system is usable and responsive almost immediately when turning the car on. I wonder if Mazda updated the kernel to improve boot times. If this performance maintains then I am really happy with the update.

Hopefully next up is CarPlay!!!

I was waiting to see what the reviews would be. Maybe I will install now. I'm currently using 59.00.504 NA with AIO tweaks so my navigation comes up a bit quicker anyway without warning message and Mazda logo. I usually never have to wait much more than 30 to 45 seconds.

Bry, Have you had a chance to update to 59.00.540 yet? If not I would STOP for a moment for a couple of reasons. Stop! As Greggm points out above, not an incredibly difficult process, however, a couple of things must clearly be followed or you will brick your system and there is no point of return except to spend $1000 for a new CMU. There are Mazda tech instructions online which detail the steps and easy to follow. The gist is stay in your car, tap your brake every 5 minutes, and restart the system at the correct point. You will need 45 minutes +/- and if you follow the instructions and read thoroughly beforehand you won't be too nervous if you see a black screen for a minute or two. One thing you may need to do is reinstall gracenotes v.8 again. I recently updated to gracenote 8 from v.5 prior to updating my firmware from 59.00.331 to 59.00.504 and my gracenotes reverted back to v.5, so I reinstalled v.8 without any issues.

The 2nd reason you may want to delay your update is so that you can install ID7 "recovery" from AIO tweaks. From there you can install other tweaks. You are one of the lucky folks who still has a system version under 59.00.502. Go onto Mazda3Revolution and read all about it. There is an overload of info on what you need to know. Most importantly, before installing 59.00.540, you should install the ID7. You can decide later if you want to install any of the other tweaks. It's a very failsafe process with an APP/installer with practically zero risks of damaging your system. Once you install 502 or greater there is no way to access the CMU via USB and install AIO tweaks without dismantling your dash....long story, read about it. In short, Mazda locks you out of installing cool tweaks on your infotainment system from 502 on. You will still be able to do firmware updates via USB, but you will be locked out of installing some cool tweaks.

Give yourself some time to read about AIO tweaks to decide.

Bry, Have you had a chance to update to 59.00.540 yet? If not I would STOP for a moment for a couple of reasons. Stop! As Greggm points out above, not an incredibly difficult process, however, a couple of things must clearly be followed or you will brick your system and there is no point of return except to spend $1000 for a new CMU. There are Mazda tech instructions online which detail the steps and easy to follow. The gist is stay in your car, tap your brake every 5 minutes, and restart the system at the correct point. You will need 45 minutes +/- and if you follow the instructions and read thoroughly beforehand you won't be too nervous if you see a black screen for a minute or two. One thing you may need to do is reinstall gracenotes v.8 again. I recently updated to gracenote 8 from v.5 prior to updating my firmware from 59.00.331 to 59.00.504 and my gracenotes reverted back to v.5, so I reinstalled v.8 without any issues.

The 2nd reason you may want to delay your update is so that you can install ID7 "recovery" from AIO tweaks. From there you can install other tweaks. You are one of the lucky folks who still has a system version under 59.00.502. Go onto Mazda3Revolution and read all about it. There is an overload of info on what you need to know. Most importantly, before installing 59.00.540, you should install the ID7. You can decide later if you want to install any of the other tweaks. It's a very failsafe process with an APP/installer with practically zero risks of damaging your system. Once you install 502 or greater there is no way to access the CMU via USB and install AIO tweaks without dismantling your dash....long story, read about it. In short, Mazda locks you out of installing cool tweaks on your infotainment system from 502 on. You will still be able to do firmware updates via USB, but you will be locked out of installing some cool tweaks.

Give yourself some time to read about AIO tweaks to decide.

I have not yet even tried to attempt the update yet. Although it seems simple I don't want to take a chance on messing anything up. I may try and take it to the dealership to see if they will/can update?

For those attempting any updates with a USB and having installation issues, there have been several documented issues in multiple Mazda forums. Cheap/off brand USB's being one common cause. Use a USB with at least 16GB of memory. A 2GB USB stick is a very likely cause for failure. Application and install files generally need much more memory than just a USB you may use to copy a bunch of word files. Reformat your USB and remove all files before copying even if the process says it will delete all existing files. Also, not using the proper ejection procedure of the USB from the computer using the taskbar has been a know problem as it will/can remove/change a file needed to install.

Bry, Google "Mazda AIO tweaks" and see if there is anything that may interest you there before updating your firmware as I mentioned above. You seem comfortable enough updating Gracenotes. When you understand the tweaks, then you will understand why I'm suggesting you not run into the dealership just yet for a firmware update. Once you update 502 and beyond then you won't be able to install those tweaks unless you install the ID7 recovery, then you can update firmware. As an example, do you hate that Mazda safety warning on start up? You can delete. Or the safety warning on the reverse cam, You can delete. HOWEVER, Mazda will not delete.

It goes without saying, every dealer is different. Many dealers hate updating the firmware since it can take 45 minutes to an hour+ and they don't want to brick the system anymore than you do. I don't believe it's a billable coverage issue the dealer can bill back to Mazda. Some will not update unless you state an issue....be prepared if you are adamant about the firmware update and have an excuse. Many won't even do it during a regular maintenance if you don't request or need it. Also, not all the techs are allowed to do it, so that leaves the dealer with a workforce issue of updating.

Back