Latest Infotainment System Update

stu788

:
Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring FWD
Hey Guys!

I drive a 2016 Mazda CX-9 GT. I love everything about the car, but there was one issue that was making me nuts, which was the constant infotainment reboots. I was averaging 2 to 3 reboots a week at very inopportune times. Definitely annoying! The version prior to the update was:

OS Version 59.00.441 NA N
Music Database Version 00.70.000
Fail-Safe Version is 59.00.441

When I last brought my car into Mazda for service I asked them to update the system to the latest version:

OS Version 59.00.502 NA N
Music Database Version 00.70.000
Fail-Safe Version is 59.00.502

I have been driving the car for at least 3 weeks and I haven't had a single reboot. I'm confident had I not updated, my system would've rebooted 6 times minimum by now.

So in conclusion, if your infotainment system is compatible with this version (502) I would highly recommend updating if you also have been dealing with constant reboots. This latest version definitely seems to be the most stable.

Good luck!

I also got the latest update - only because after my 5K service, my backup camera stopped working. I restarted multiple times to no avail. I drove back to the dealer and the tech suggested I upgrade the version. All is fine now, tech says it fixed bugs, enhanced stability and boots faster (not sure if I agree with the latter)...

Just a quick update! It's been a month and a half since installing to the latest version. In that time I've experienced zero reboots!

Quite pleased.

I just updated mine myself yesterday from 441 to 502 due to a few issues/quirks and reboot issues. It does seem a bit quicker to boot up and all of the prior issues seem to be gone but a new issue arose: blind spot monitoring is no longer working. I tried resetting individual settings, default all settings, and rebooted several times with no change. Anyone else having this issue and know if a fix? I've only had the car a week so I would hate to have to schedule service already.

I just updated mine myself yesterday from 441 to 502 due to a few issues/quirks and reboot issues. It does seem a bit quicker to boot up and all of the prior issues seem to be gone but a new issue arose: blind spot monitoring is no longer working. I tried resetting individual settings, default all settings, and rebooted several times with no change. Anyone else having this issue and know if a fix? I've only had the car a week so I would hate to have to schedule service already.
Update: blind spot monitoring is working, but it works differently now. It only alerts me (lights up) if someone is approaching from behind and moves into my blind spot. It no longer lights up if I pass a vehicle and then it moves into my blind spot.

Update: blind spot monitoring is working, but it works differently now. It only alerts me (lights up) if someone is approaching from behind and moves into my blind spot. It no longer lights up if I pass a vehicle and then it moves into my blind spot.
Isn't that always how it worked? When I was taking a test drive, the salesman told me it lit up only when someone was approaching from behind.

Isn't that always how it worked? When I was taking a test drive, the salesman told me it lit up only when someone was approaching from behind.

That's how the new Advanced BSM works. It detects vehicles coming from behind on both sides, and will only indicate vehicles you are passing if the speed difference is only a couple MPH between the 2 vehicles. Takes some getting used to... I prefer the old method myself.

Another glitch that was present in 441 that I thought was gone with 502 but it happened for the first time today after having upgraded last week: sometimes when disabling/turning off traction control (using TCS swtich) it actually turns off the Lane-Keep Assist (LAS). When I press the TCS button again the LAS is reactivated.

That's how the new Advanced BSM works. It detects vehicles coming from behind on both sides, and will only indicate vehicles you are passing if the speed difference is only a couple MPH between the 2 vehicles. Takes some getting used to... I prefer the old method myself.

I'm with you. I like to know when something is in the blind spot at all times.

Version ...502 does not have the tachometer shown in the HUD. At least I haven't seen that setting available.

Can some one confirm that in the newest version they brought back or not the tachometer setting for HUD?

I don't think they will bring back the tachometer as Mazda considers in a distraction and safety issue. Look at the release notes at the bottom of this post.

The HUD is tied in with the seat memory. So, if you saved a seat position prior to the CMU upgrade with the tachometer feature enabled, the tachometer should reappear on the HUD (but not within the menus) when you select that seat position. I know because this happened to me when I selected a seat position after the CMU upgrade. I couldn't get the tachometer to go away because both seat positions had it enabled and there was no options in the menu. The dealership was completely clueless, but someone in this forum told me it was tied to the seat memory. Unplugging my battery for a few minutes cleared the seat memory which removed the tachometer from the HUD. So try both of your key fobs and seat memory settings.

Firmware CHANGELOG for NA_59.00.441A

DTC U0100:00 [CONNECTIVITY MASTER UNIT] (communication error with PCM) is stored in memory.
Warning guidance's are displayed both for LDWS and HBC (CX-3 with LDWS and without HBC only).
Improper OFF selection in the Setting Interval menu under Oil Change (TC CX-9 only).
Resetting with Fixed data will not reset Flexible data. (TC CX-9 only).
Tachometer function has been removed from the Active Driving Display (TC CX-9).*
Navigation or other screens freeze or reboot.
Issues with Pandora Radio.
USB device fails to start playing, resume or display music information.
BT audio device fails when starting to play, resume or connect.
Paired BT device will not connect. Removing the paired BT device from the vehicle (but not the vehicle from the phone) results in an endless Deleting message.

*To improve safety and reduce driver distraction.

this is the October 2017 update correct?

Edit: I downloaded the latest file from Mazda, put it on a flash drive, but my car is saying that there was no update to be found. Weird?

Last edited:
this is the October 2017 update correct?

Edit: I downloaded the latest file from Mazda, put it on a flash drive, but my car is saying that there was no update to be found. Weird?
Same thing is happening on my car too. I installed the previous music database update with no issues but the car will not recognize the October 2017 update (version 8). Going to try again later today with a different thumb drive if I can find one in the house.

Same thing is happening on my car too. I installed the previous music database update with no issues but the car will not recognize the October 2017 update (version 8). Going to try again later today with a different thumb drive if I can find one in the house.

I have the exact same issue and tried different usb drives and on both of the front ports. I assumed in my case it was because my 2018 CX-9 had the update already but I guess the update might be faulty.

I have the exact same issue and tried different usb drives and on both of the front ports. I assumed in my case it was because my 2018 CX-9 had the update already but I guess the update might be faulty.
Confirmed my car is still at v7 for music database (to which I had updated when CMU was at v441). Updated CMU to v502 in the fall and last week it would not recognize music database v8 at all. I updated CMU to v504 the other day and tried again - still no luck.

I'm hoping it's just a fluke and it will work with a different drive, but if it doesn't then I will mention it to Mazda when I go in for my first oil change.

If you are having issues with your thumb drive try re-formatting the thumb drive (making sure its FAT 32), then transfer the update to the drive, then try installing in the car. My CX-9 (2018) was not reading my thumb drive which i'd previously used to install tweaks on my 2016 CX-5. After reformatting it, the drive began working fine again.

Back