CX-5 weird issue(s)

Skrimps

:
Mazda CX-5
Hello everyone,

I know this is my first post here but I am hoping to solve a couple issues with my newly purchased 2014 CX-5. One of the issues I am having is a very loud squeak/noise that is coming from the hatch area. I thought perhaps the latch needed adjustment, but wanted to check here for a solid fix first.

The other issue is more annoying. Occasionally under a light load (usually when the torque convert is locked up and RPM's are low) there is a loud constant "chirping" noise coming from the engine compartment. Sounds like the passenger side. If I press the accelerator more or let off on the accelerator, the noise stops. Very annoying and I am hoping to find a fix.

The driver side door mirror rattles/vibrates, but from what I can tell the fix for this sometimes does not work. Has anyone else found a permanent fix?

And lastly the brakes are shot at 46k miles. Is that normal? I found a TSB about brake issues and Mazda would fix them but I am past the miles. I can easily do the rotors/pads myself but did not expect to do them so soon.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I've had a '14 and 16(all brand new). Both were driven on the autobahn. To be fair the 14, was only here about a week before a HMMWV crossed my path and totaled it. The 16 had to get new front rotors and brakes at >20k. I didn't the other have issue you are experiencing.

Hello everyone,

I know this is my first post here but I am hoping to solve a couple issues with my newly purchased 2014 CX-5. One of the issues I am having is a very loud squeak/noise that is coming from the hatch area. I thought perhaps the latch needed adjustment, but wanted to check here for a solid fix first.

I have a 2016.5 and had this same issue. I found it to be the rear spoiler/wing thing was loose. To tighten this, there are four posts going through the rear door. Two are accessed through rubber grommet covers that pop off. Open the hatch and you'll see them laterally on the inside upper part. These have longer than usual bolt length and might require a deep socket. The nuts on mine were 10mm and I was able to tighten them by not fully seating my socket wrench into the socket.

As for the other two, they are under the trim panel right in the middle. These bolts are incredibly long and will probably not fit any normal socket you'd have. I used a pair of pliers to grab and twist the nut. I was at work and didn't have a 10mm wrench, but I'm sure you'd be able to get enough purchase on the nut to twist a wrench.

Hope that helps!

My rear brake pads were 3mm at 53k miles. I went ahead and had the rear brake pads/rotors done.

My fronts still have life in them.

I also have a 2014 GT and can't say I have any of those things. There is a recall on the back strut for the hatch, maybe replacing that will help. Also, check your license plate, as mine rattled at certain engine speeds and I only fixed it with some blue-tack (actually the dealer did).

Brakes depend upon how you drive. I think my pads and rotors lasted ~70K miles. If you have a good dealer or good auto service shop, might not hurt having them look everything over. I assume you purchased this used? Any service history?

Thanks to everyone for the replies. As for the rear hatch noise I will definitely check the spoiler and see if I can tighten it any.

There is definitely a brake rotor that is warped. I will most likely just replace all the pads and all 4 rotors before winter regardless with good quality components. That should take care of that issue.

As for the chirping noise from the engine bay it ended up being the drive belt tensioner. Mazda uses a hydraulic/oil filled tensioner as opposed to a spring tensioner. For some reason the unit fails prematurely and the belt loses proper tension. That was the noise I was hearing. You can tell if your tensioner is bad by a visual inspection; there will be oil that has leaked all over the tensioner and around it. Easy to see. That part will need to be replaced.

So one issue is solved for sure. Will have to look into the rear spoiler.

Latest posts

Back