SKYACTIV II with HCCI to debut within weeks

Only way they can get more cars is if they have the capital. Since they are a small independent company, its hard for them. Toyota's stake may change that.

Believe me no one will be copying this. They're only doing this because they don't have the financial resources to develop a decent hybrid or electric vehicle, not because it actually make sense.

Daimler, GM, Hyundai and other manufacturers have also been researching and trying to develop this tech to be the first to bring it to production. It doesn't make sense not to when it is called advancement in technology improving efficient, power, torque whilst reducing emissions and fuel consumption.

As for hybrid and electric vehicles, thats now not considered new innovative technology. In Australia at least which have one of the highest electricity prices, it is less feasible and it would be cheaper to run petrol cars with low mpg than electric vehicles especially when you consider less than 6% of Australia's energy comes from renewables, it is likely that the energy sourced in Australia is from burning carbon. That's not to say Mazda won't develop electric vehicles, they are; for regions that use a high ratio of clean energy for power generation or restrict certain vehicles to reduce air pollution, especially with the partnership with Toyota.

You don't need to put a downer on this development from Mazda as it exposes your bias against them. You can go on about your AA/CP and Turbos, it's hardly advancement in this current day and age.

As for hybrid and electric vehicles, thats now not considered new innovative technology. In Australia at least which have one of the highest electricity prices, it is less feasible and it would be cheaper to run petrol cars with low mpg than electric vehicles especially when you consider less than 6% of Australia's energy comes from renewables, it is likely that the energy sourced in Australia is from burning carbon. That's not to say Mazda won't develop electric vehicles, they are; for regions that use a high ratio of clean energy for power generation or restrict certain vehicles to reduce air pollution, especially with the partnership with Toyota.

You don't need to put a downer on this development from Mazda as it exposes your bias against them. You can go on about your AA/CP and Turbos, it's hardly advancement in this current day and age.

Doesn't matter if hybrid is not 'innovative', it does what it needs to do which is lower emissions. More importantly, it is a PROVEN technology that consumers are familiar with. I have a hard time seeing how a tiny auto company like Mazda is going to be able to convince consumers to buy one of these vehicles with this technology. I'd be hesitant to buy one even if it was coming from Toyota or Honda. Besides hybrid's are already hitting high 50 MPGs, in a few years will probably be 60s. Once electric vehicles starting taking over in a few years it's game over. They will go longer distances and require less electricity to charge them as years progress.

And no one is bringing up CarPlay or AA, so let's stick to the topic at hand.

The new Camry may be faster etc than the 6 but they still have prove it is no longer an appliance/a white good like all the previous generations. The current model 6 which is about 5 years old btw has been a better drivers car and when the new engine arrives around the time the all new model is released, it should put it ahead of the Camry.

Side note - Camry/6 size cars are no longer the sales force here in OZ. The SUV (CX-5 etc) are. So this new engine(s) should help it immensely.

The new Camry BLOWS the Mazda6 out of the water. 300HP, dual exhausts, 8 speed automatic, paddle shifters, 18 inch wheels, etc...the V6 alone in this 'appliance' has more power than anything in Mazda's lineup. It's basically everything the Mazda6 should be.

Doesn't matter if hybrid is not 'innovative', it does what it needs to do which is lower emissions. More importantly, it is a PROVEN technology that consumers are familiar with. I have a hard time seeing how a tiny auto company like Mazda is going to be able to convince consumers to buy one of these vehicles with this technology. I'd be hesitant to buy one even if it was coming from Toyota or Honda. Besides hybrid's are already hitting high 50 MPGs, in a few years will probably be 60s. Once electric vehicles starting taking over in a few years it's game over. They will go longer distances and require less electricity to charge them as years progress.

And no one is bringing up CarPlay or AA, so let's stick to the topic at hand.

You are missing the whole point and is dismissing this breakthrough by Mazda. You're the one bringing up hybrid and electric vehicles which this topic is not about.

Mazda doesn't need to waste or put development money into electric or hybrid technology. Others are doing it for them. No point in wasting money re-inventing the wheel.
They have the resources Mango. They just choose to put it into developing a technology that they think will make a significant difference in the automotive landscape.
They've succeeded where others have failed.
As for quoting those wonderful numbers on the new Camry, why don't we discuss the upcoming new Accord instead?
How much will the V6 produce? What will the coupe look like?
Oh, wait.......Honda has shelved the Accord V6 and Coupe for 2018. Sorry.
The new base engine will be the 1.5 litre turbo mated to that wonderful CVT they make. Sounds like a winner. People are lining up at the dealerships placing orders.....NOT.

The new Camry BLOWS the Mazda6 out of the water. 300HP, dual exhausts, 8 speed automatic, paddle shifters, 18 inch wheels, etc...the V6 alone in this 'appliance' has more power than anything in Mazda's lineup. It's basically everything the Mazda6 should be.

Agreed, the Camry shocked me with that.

Mazda doesn't need to waste or put development money into electric or hybrid technology. Others are doing it for them. No point in wasting money re-inventing the wheel.
They have the resources Mango. They just choose to put it into developing a technology that they think will make a significant difference in the automotive landscape.
They've succeeded where others have failed.
As for quoting those wonderful numbers on the new Camry, why don't we discuss the upcoming new Accord instead?
How much will the V6 produce? What will the coupe look like?
Oh, wait.......Honda has shelved the Accord V6 and Coupe for 2018. Sorry.
The new base engine will be the 1.5 litre turbo mated to that wonderful CVT they make. Sounds like a winner. People are lining up at the dealerships placing orders.....NOT.

Mazda can't even manage mobile start, live traffic nav, or satellite radio, hybrid technology is something I hope they never try their hand at.

Think they're use Toyota's hybrid technology

That would be smart. Maybe they can use Toyota's NAV system and other items. I am seriously amused/let down/wtf over the 2017 CX5 not having a legit remote start, traffic on the NAV, or any of the things my now 7 year old Jeep came with, since like 2005. Then to hear them joking about "going upscale" ORLY? No. They have firmly landed in no-man's-land. Noone who likes luxury would seriously consider one, and people who want economy/cheap are looking pretty hard at the Nissan Rogue. I will admit, if I had not lucked into my CX5 used for $22k, no way in hell I'd buy one new. They lack many features I consider "standard", and cost just as much as the vehicles that are properly equipped. They are not proving any more reliable than proven performers, and their owner retention is bad for a reason.

I drive my CX5 because it makes financial sense, and it made GREAT SENSE to buy it (killer trade value as the dealer offered me $3k more than any other dealer had, and the cx5 was cheap, too, at PP retail pricing. Financially solid call on my part to do the deal, like the car or not).

I've simply become less and less a fan of it as the years go by, and I note how many ways it "let me down" vs. the advertisements for it (mpg, etc.)

If Mazda wants to play:

-Get a real infotainment/NAV/Satellite radio available in ALL TRIM LEVELS except "SPORT".
-Remote start on the fob like everyone else did 15 years ago.
-225hp/32mpg highway minimum

The AWD system is fine, the handling is good, and from what I hear, noise isolation is finally on par, but the above 3 would boost it to "competitive" status instead of "Buy this, because see how it handles? You can give your 2 kids and dog a concussion in the corners, Dad! Isn't that what you want a CUV for? Racing? Because that's the only thing this one does worth a damn (please ignore the slowness though, it has sport-mode so you can delude yourself, like "TOW" mode on your truck, but we don't call it that...), but hey, it's for drivers, zoom zoom!"

Last edited:
That would be smart. Maybe they can use Toyota's NAV system and other items.

I'm not sure their's is better. They have some kind of connected system. On the lower trims it's powered by your phone, for $25/year after a 3-year trial. On the 6-cylinder's it's some sort of cloud-based app that you'll also pay for after 3-years but they don't have a set fee yet. I'd say use AA/CarPlay but they don't have it.

I'm not sure their's is better. They have some kind of connected system. On the lower trims it's powered by your phone, for $25/year after a 3-year trial. On the 6-cylinder's it's some sort of cloud-based app that you'll also pay for after 3-years but they don't have a set fee yet. I'd say use AA/CarPlay but they don't have it.

What is up with that?! My Nissan had live traffic, live color weather radar, satellite radio, all of that jazz, and that was back in 2012, but it was offered on the 2009's as well when they first came out in 2008. This phone-tether crap. My Jeep was the same way, except didn't have the color live radar.

I hate the mazda phone tether. You dick with it for 10 minutes of a 15 minute trip sometimes. Absolute CRAP.
a) is glitchy AF
b) uses your data
c) is lesser. Much preferred satellite radio

Last edited:
That would be smart. Maybe they can use Toyota's NAV system and other items. I am seriously amused/let down/wtf over the 2017 CX5 not having a legit remote start, traffic on the NAV, or any of the things my now 7 year old Jeep came with, since like 2005. Then to hear them joking about "going upscale" ORLY? No. They have firmly landed in no-man's-land. Noone who likes luxury would seriously consider one, and people who want economy/cheap are looking pretty hard at the Nissan Rogue. I will admit, if I had not lucked into my CX5 used for $22k, no way in hell I'd buy one new. They lack many features I consider "standard", and cost just as much as the vehicles that are properly equipped. They are not proving any more reliable than proven performers, and their owner retention is bad for a reason.

I drive my CX5 because it makes financial sense, and it made GREAT SENSE to buy it (killer trade value as the dealer offered me $3k more than any other dealer had, and the cx5 was cheap, too, at PP retail pricing. Financially solid call on my part to do the deal, like the car or not).

I've simply become less and less a fan of it as the years go by, and I note how many ways it "let me down" vs. the advertisements for it (mpg, etc.)

If Mazda wants to play:

-Get a real infotainment/NAV/Satellite radio available in ALL TRIM LEVELS except "SPORT".
-Remote start on the fob like everyone else did 15 years ago.
-225hp/32mpg highway minimum

The AWD system is fine, the handling is good, and from what I hear, noise isolation is finally on par, but the above 3 would boost it to "competitive" status instead of "Buy this, because see how it handles? You can give your 2 kids and dog a concussion in the corners, Dad! Isn't that what you want a CUV for? Racing? Because that's the only thing this one does worth a damn (please ignore the slowness though, it has sport-mode so you can delude yourself, like "TOW" mode on your truck, but we don't call it that...), but hey, it's for drivers, zoom zoom!"

AA/ACP would pretty much solve the infotainment issue but maybe tweak the current one. We get NAV/DAB+ on all trim levels except bottom Maxx
Remote start would be nice but would actually prefer the ability to open/close all windows and sunroof with remote
Torque figures of 276-326NM for a 4 cylinder engine is good to have. Haven't seen anywhere actual power output increase projections (scratch)

For fuel efficiency of around 20-30% on current 2.5L G, the new figures here in OZ would be:

Urban: 6.65-7.6 L/100km (currently 9.5 L/100km)
Extra Urban: 4.48-5.12 L/100km (currently 6.4 L/100km)
Combined 5.25-6.0 L/100km (currently 7.5 L/100km)

Wonder if they would be able to shed a few kg from the weight considering this generation the weight went up (uhm)

Noise suppression is better and maybe they can improve it even more when by the time this engine comes around (could be around the all new CX-5)

Last edited:
Well since I saw it quoted...

Mango, I don't get it. First you complain loudly in many threads that the CX-5 uses a 4 year old engine. Mazda has figured out and developed a new engine and all you do is poopoo it. Many other car manufacturers have tried and failed on HCCI.

If that's not innovation, I don't know what is?

As for hybrids, why else would they partner with Toyota? And let's not forget, I believe they already have hybrid Mazdas in Japan.

No reason you can't have both.

Well since I saw it quoted...

Mango, I don't get it. First you complain loudly in many threads that the CX-5 uses a 4 year old engine. Mazda has figured out and developed a new engine and all you do is poopoo it. Many other car manufacturers have tried and failed on HCCI.

If that's not innovation, I don't know what is?

As for hybrids, why else would they partner with Toyota? And let's not forget, I believe they already have hybrid Mazdas in Japan.

No reason you can't have both.

Let's not go putting the cart before the horse. When Mazda's HCCI has been out, in production cars, for over a year, THEN I will say they've succeeded with HCCI. Until then, it's all just hearsay and hope-so.

Let's not go putting the cart before the horse. When Mazda's HCCI has been out, in production cars, for over a year, THEN I will say they've succeeded with HCCI. Until then, it's all just hearsay and hope-so.

Fair enough. But the intent still stands. Clearly they are focusing on both that and hybrid/electric with their partnership with Toyota.

Hybrids are great if you do all city driving. If most of your driving is on the highway, they suck. The RAV4 hybrid is rated at 30 MPG highway. The CX-5 is rated at 31 (FWD) or 29 (AWD). If SkyActiv-X lives up to the hype, that would mean close to 40 MPG highway. I suppose 35+ is more realistic, but that would still be a big jump.

Regarding the Camry, it looks good on the spec sheet. But I don't like the styling, especially the L/LE/XLE models. Recent Hondas and Toyotas look like they fell from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. When Toyota introduced a new design language in the Lexus models a few years ago, they looked OK. I even kind of liked the IS. But their adaptation of it to the Toyota brand has been all wrong. Look at the front end of the Prius v. Somebody should be fired for that. The big question is will it be fun to drive? Previous Camrys have been dull as hell.

Latest posts

Back