SKYACTIV II with HCCI to debut within weeks

Yeah its not 420 but it will still smoke the diesel (no pun intended educated guess there obviously) and potentially get you solidly mid 30s hwy on regular..maybe not a performance option per se and everything is quite preliminary but sure sounds like a win win to me.

The engine(s) may not make it a hot hatch (3) or hot SUV (CX-5) but would at least make it warm - performance wise that is :)

And with an sc the potential for owners to turn up the heat should readily be there..but getting a little ahead myself

For the CX-5, this is actually huge. It instantly puts it in the best MPG for a crossover, at least until everyone copies it, namely Toyota in the RAV4. One of my gripes about the CX-5 is too many visits to the gas station and this or the diesel helps that. I don't really have major issues with speed, a little more 30-60 punch would be nice but it's not necessary. Of course, this being Mazda, it'll appear in the CX-5 around 2028, just after AA/Car Play in 2027 and 2 years after the diesel finally appeared. Instead they'll drop it in the 3 and sell 13 more of them.

For the rest of the line I don't know. This would take the 6, assuming 30% gains, to the bottom of the sedan hybrid market. Currently, there are 5 in the same class who tie or beat, in some cases handily, 40 MPG combined. So you still have a bumpy, noisy set of cars that get good mileage and can corner but not best in class if MPG is your criteria. The Accord Hybrid, the new Camry Hybrids are faster and the Malibu is I think just barely faster than the 6. If you drop a battery in the 6, and give it the CX-5 treatment, it's not a 6 any more, it's something heavier but it probably would get north of 50 MPG.

A 6 with the hybrid battery that is in the base 2018 Camry might be very interesting with this engine. You might be looking at 55MPG, even higher.

Now, if they can somehow sell the tech...

Last edited:
at least until everyone copies it, namely Toyota in the RAV4.

Believe me no one will be copying this. They're only doing this because they don't have the financial resources to develop a decent hybrid or electric vehicle, not because it actually make sense.

Funny thing is - there are strong hints that the Mazda / Toyota partnership means Mazda will be sharing a bit of skyactiv to them. Imagine next gen Camry et all with some flavor of Skyactiv.
Even now if you drive in a spirited fashion a CX5 will beat the crap out of a turbo CRV in mpg. And that is a 4 year old drivetrain. Lol. Honda can be smug about cabin space - passenger space and little ergonomics. Not much beyond that.

Believe me no one will be copying this. They're only doing this because they don't have the financial resources to develop a decent hybrid or electric vehicle, not because it actually make sense.

Why copy when you can put your logo on a Skyactiv engine?

scion-ia-engine.jpg

Why not. Aren't other car manufacturers are also developing this technology?

By the time this is out, you'll start seeing more and more electric cars on the road. It will just seem dated an antiquated. And even if other companies were interested in it, no doubt they would play a waiting game to whether it's durable/reliable/etc...that would be what, another 5-6 more years out? The only reason Mazda come up with this technology is because it's something to help them pass emission standards, that's it. Other companies already have hybrid or are developing electric vehicles so this isn't needed for them.

Even now if you drive in a spirited fashion a CX5 will beat the crap out of a turbo CRV in mpg. And that is a 4 year old drivetrain. Lol. Honda can be smug about cabin space - passenger space and little ergonomics. Not much beyond that.

Nope, not even close. Besides who the hell drives these cars like sports cars...Driving a CX-5/CRV in 'spirited fashion' is no different then driving a Prius the same way.

By the time this is out, you'll start seeing more and more electric cars on the road. It will just seem dated an antiquated. And even if other companies were interested in it, no doubt they would play a waiting game to whether it's durable/reliable/etc...that would be what, another 5-6 more years out? Other companies already have hybrid or are developing electric vehicles so this isn't needed for them.

Until they have developed inexpensive batteries to store electricity for electric cars, there will always be fossil fuel.

The only reason Mazda come up with this technology is because it's something to help them pass emission standards, that's it.

But isn't it logical for all car manufacturers to develop technologies to pass increasing emission standards? And isn't 30% gain in efficiency good enough?

Let me show you how logical it is:

The only reason HONDA come up with this technology is because it's something to help them pass emission standards, that's it.

Until they have developed inexpensive batteries to store electricity for electric cars, there will always be fossil fuel.

But isn't it logical for all car manufacturers to develop technologies to pass increasing emission standards? And isn't 30% gain in efficiency good enough?

Let me show you how logical it is:

Who said there won't be a need for fossil fuels in 10 years? I said the reason they developed this is to pass stricter emission testing in the next 5-10 years, why do you think they keep mentioning efficiency over and over again in these articles? I said nothing about fossil fuels going extinct in 10 years. Regarding your batteries comment, the Tesla Model 3 is a 35k(the same price as a fully loaded Mazda6) fully electric vehicle with a range of 220 miles(300+ if you buy an optional battery pack). You don't think in 5-6 years those numbers(not just mileage, but vehicle pricing) won't improve? I don't know about you, but I would think the prospect of never having to go to the gas station and spends thousands of dollars on gas ever again sure sounds nice to me.

This engine was created to pass stricter emission testing around the world in the near future, not because it is actually better than a typical engine. If it was, you would have seen this implemented long ago. This whole notion of Mazda 'sharing' their Skyactiv tech is ridiculous as well. Last time I checked, Toyota was a pretty competent engine maker, with lots of hybrids, even a Hydrogen powered vehicle. They've also invested heavily in fully electric vehicles.

Buried amidst all the hype were several references to batteries in 2019. Mazda will have to produce some sort of hybrid to meet emission standards in certain states with California likely one of those. This is probably part of the newfound love with Toyota. Toyota already has two hybrids that can get North of 50: the Prius and the 2018 base Camry. I'd be shocked if we don't see a hybrid 3 or 6 in the near future.

I'm not convinced the mileage gain is enough but paired with a battery, things could get interesting.

One other note. The new Camry s**** all over the 6. It's faster, gets better MPG, rides better and is apparently in the handling ballpark. The biggest problem with the Camry is the infotainment system. I think after 3-years they charge you to look at it. It's kind of nuts.

We haven't seen the new Honda's on the road so we don't know. From what I can see they have a fat butt and lots of plastic but on the positive they do include a real blind spot monitor, a couple of knobs for the radio and AA / Car Play. It may still need more chrome so that it's buyer's don't think they're buying an Altima.

The 6 needs some love and it needs it fast.

Last edited:
One other note. The new Camry s**** all over the 6. It's faster, gets better MPG, rides better and is apparently in the handling ballpark. The biggest problem with the Camry is the infotainment system. I think after 3-years they charge you to look at it. It's kind of nuts.

We haven't seen the new Honda's on the road so we don't know. From what I can see they have a fat butt and lots of plastic but on the positive they do include a real blind spot monitor, a couple of knobs for the radio and AA / Car Play. It may still need more chrome so that it's buyer's don't think they're buying an Altima.

The 6 needs some love and it needs it fast.

The new Camry may be faster etc than the 6 but they still have prove it is no longer an appliance/a white good like all the previous generations. The current model 6 which is about 5 years old btw has been a better drivers car and when the new engine arrives around the time the all new model is released, it should put it ahead of the Camry.

Side note - Camry/6 size cars are no longer the sales force here in OZ. The SUV (CX-5 etc) are. So this new engine(s) should help it immensely.

Midsized sedans are the fastest declining market segment here, followed by compact sedans. So even though cars like the Accord and Camry still sell well in absolute numbers, all the car manufacturers are having to deal with excess production capacity. If you want to buy a sedan, there are some great incentives out there.

Also, I agree that the 6 is dying for a refresh with more power (at least as an option) and NVH improvements along the lines of the CX-5.

Midsized sedans are the fastest declining market segment here, followed by compact sedans. So even though cars like the Accord and Camry still sell well in absolute numbers, all the car manufacturers are having to deal with excess production capacity. If you want to buy a sedan, there are some great incentives out there.

Also, I agree that the 6 is dying for a refresh with more power (at least as an option) and NVH improvements along the lines of the CX-5.

Since it doesn't sell well in most places, think the 6 update is down their list of priorities

Yeah, they could double the 6's sales and it would barely make a dent. The new Camry is a very interesting vehicle. They did a lot right with it but whether it will matter in the face of declining sedan sales I don't know. They really want to charge you for using the infotainment system though.

I was using the 6, mainly because I don't know where else they put this tech and have it make a big difference. The 6 seems right for a hybrid, it's time for a redesign and they're talking 2019, which is probably when we'd see a redesign.

It would be awesome in a CX-5. I'd drop my 2015 in a heartbeat if it showed up in one but that's getting a diesel which may lead to the same outcome for me. The 3 can't be a high-margin vehicle but I don't know much about it. So, what, you put it in a Miata? They need more cars.

Last edited:
Back