SKYACTIV II with HCCI to debut within weeks

This has me very excited! If the new SkyActiv-X engine can output more than 200 lb-ft of torque while keeping fuel economy in check or improving upon it, that will be amazing. Pair that with some weight reduction and I don't think you will need a Mazdaspeed model.

It is also mentioned that a supercharger will be used with the new engine. This means bigger potential gains from the aftermarket tuners.

Yes, most likely. But honestly, we are already in the 2018 car year so I think you could expect a Sky-Active X CX-5 for sale in 2019. I could wait 2 years with my current car and skip the diesel.

There press release had lots of good information - superchargers and electric cars!

From what I've read it will start with a limited release as an option on the 3, and roll out to other models from there. I would think model year 2020+

The Motoring article in the first post speculated 2022 for the CX-5, assuming it will be the last to be updated because it was most recently refreshed.

It also says we should expect a concept car to be revealed at the Tokyo show in October, which will preview the next 3. It has previously taken Mazda a couple years between showing a concept car and production. That leads me to believe that talk of the new engine becoming available in 2019 means we might see a new 3 with SkyActiv-X late in 2019 as a 2020 model... somewhere. They didn't say which markets, but it's possible it may not be available in all markets in the initial model year due to varying regulatory challenges. The North American market often lags a year.

To be fair, my 2017 diesel hasn't diluted the oil at all in the first 1500 miles. That would not have happened with the 2016.5. However, I'm up for either this new petrol engine or the mooted Toyota 2.5 hybrid version.

I'm sick of the dirty diesel rhetoric too.
Do you always do long drives?

Yes, most likely. But honestly, we are already in the 2018 car year so I think you could expect a Sky-Active X CX-5 for sale in 2019. I could wait 2 years with my current car and skip the diesel.

There press release had lots of good information - superchargers and electric cars!
CX5 has a 5 year old engine. It has some tweaks G vectoring and some minor changes, it gained mpgs as per EPA but lost all of the gains in 2017. Mazda cannot survive with this engine till 2022. Their buyer base is not so loyal or stupid to tolerate a 4 banger for 4 more years with same mpg. I dont think they are banking on Diesel to push sales or maintain sales. Most like HCCI will be a 3rd gen engine. Not sure what the 2nd gen will be. (No - 2017 is not 2nd gen) It could be the 2.5T which should give decent enough mpg with the current CX5 + power if anyone craves for it. Numbers of 220 hp / torque +/- 15 should satisfy.
Dont buy a car based on future introductions. I will recommend a 2nd year of a new engine / tranny if you are buying Touring. A 3rd year if buying GT. Thats as far as my trust for Mazda reliability goes, yours may vary.

Cars with both a supercharger and turbo are already on the road, along with engines that turn of cylinders.

Mazda need to get things done to maintain sales not just release promises. AA is a must when I change, but I would be happy with the option of the 2.5T seems odd to me that Mazda don't have a souped up version.

So we should forget about the 2.5T and look for a supercharged 2.5? I was going to buy the diesel when it arrived but if this is close, it could be a winner. Heck, it would make the MPG of the CX-9 look appealing.

Also, Mazda will have EV for 2019. I wonder if those will be Toyota engines?

My plans for 4 year lease on a diesel next year should fit nicely in this timeline, Couple years for them to introduce, the HCCI motors and a couple more to work out any bugs.

My next car after that might be a HCCI hybrid :D

So we should forget about the 2.5T and look for a supercharged 2.5? I was going to buy the diesel when it arrived but if this is close, it could be a winner. Heck, it would make the MPG of the CX-9 look appealing.

Also, Mazda will have EV for 2019. I wonder if those will be Toyota engines?

Dunno yet if the turbo is going. My guess is they would incorporate it somehow with HCCI technology

I'm taking this press release with a huge grain of salt. If Mazda says SkyActiv-X wth HCCI is coming in 2019, I'm assuming that's the earliest possible date and applies to limited markets, while the likelihood of it coming to the US in the next few years depends on 2 miracles happening and a planetary alignment.

Mazda 3 will be the first to get it and coincides with a refresh/update or whatever they will do to it

This has me very excited! If the new SkyActiv-X engine can output more than 200 lb-ft of torque while keeping fuel economy in check or improving upon it, that will be amazing. Pair that with some weight reduction and I don't think you will need a Mazdaspeed model.

It is also mentioned that a supercharger will be used with the new engine. This means bigger potential gains from the aftermarket tuners.

Indeed. The thing the current SkyActiv petrol/gasoline engines are missing is the bottom end torque aka grunt you need when you get off the line

Yep. If I decide in the future to get a Mazda with this engine technology, I will wait a few years to see how it performs. Learnt my lesson a while ago not to buy something that is completely brand new and not tested out yet.

People here really getting excited over a boost in fuel economy? I'd be more excited if they decided to use the 2.5T across the entire Mazda lineup. The lack of any kind of mention regarding power and torque in these articles should be concerning. Good luck to all the beta testers out there.

"Basically, Mazda will have the best of both worlds: an engine with the cruising efficiency of a diesel without sacrificing a peppy top end. The company did not specify which models would get the technology, but it did say that the Skyactiv-X engine will be supercharged to increase power and improve response. Torque output with the new tech also is claimed to be 10 to 30 percent better than that in the current Skyactiv-G models. The proprietary method is called Spark Controlled Compression Ignition, and Mazda claims it improves efficiency by 20 to 30 percent from its current Skyactiv-G engines. The efficiency and torque gains allow for “much more latitude in the selection of gear ratios.”

A 10 to 30 percent increase in torque over the SkyActiv-G 2.5 (currently 251 Nm) would be 276 to 326 Nm. That's nice, but short of the 420 Nm in the 2.5T and 2.2D. So when this new engine replaces the SkyActiv-G 2.5L in the lineup, there might still be a market for a 'performance' option e.g. the current 2.5T.

A 10 to 30 percent increase in torque over the SkyActiv-G 2.5 (currently 251 Nm) would be 276 to 326 Nm. That's nice, but short of the 420 Nm in the 2.5T and 2.2D. So when this new engine replaces the SkyActiv-G 2.5L in the lineup, there might still be a market for a 'performance' option e.g. the current 2.5T.

Yes it is short of 420NM but all depends on where the torque is being ultilised - bottom end where it is usually needed first (scratch)

I think I posted a link somewhere here that apparently the 2.5L Turbo maybe incorporated into SkyActiv II

Yeah its not 420 but it will still smoke the diesel (no pun intended educated guess there obviously) and potentially get you solidly mid 30s hwy on regular..maybe not a performance option per se and everything is quite preliminary but sure sounds like a win win to me if they can really deliver this to market! Note to Honda..this is what engineering balls look like (not gaudy styling, tiny turbo engines mated to cvts- that's what giving up looks like)

Last edited:
Back