Torque spec?

:
Honda Prelude 2001
The manual says

Lug nut tightening torque

When installing a tire, tighten the lug nut to the following torque.
108―147 Nm (12―14 kgfm, 80―108 ftlbf)

Does this mean it can be a range from 80 to 108 ft/lbf? Seems like a wide spread?

This is confusing cause my previous Honda is 80.

We aren't building gas turbines here. The setting is somewhat important, but not critical. Anyway, much depends on the cleanliness of the threads and of the seating surface on the wheel that the nut cone rubs against. I'd get all the surfaces clean, dry (no lube) and use the 80. I think it is more important to get all the lugs on each wheel at the same torque setting than what the exact torque is.

Torque is a twisting force. What we really would like to know is how tightly the wheel is clamped to the hub, or how much the stud stretches. Knowing those are too much trouble, and the torque is easy to measure. The torque spec takes into account the type of metal, the surface finish on the threads, the surface finish on the face of the wheel the nut rubs against, and therefore how much of the torque spec is friction and how much is stretch of the stud. Lube changes the friction and makes it easy to over-stretch the stud, possibly to failure. When we tighten the nut to spec the stud stretches but does not reach its yield point, so when the stress is removed the stud returns to its original length.

Back