Memory Seat Problem

anubhavsethi

:
CX-9 2017 Signature
Okay.. so i have had my CX-9 for a few months now, and completely love the car. However, im having a very weird issue - which even my service center is stumped by.

I save my seat settings (and i always keep the seat at the lowest height) on Memory 1, Memory 2 as well as the Key FOB that i use.
The process works completely fine - but - every time I lock the car - and then Unlock it, the seat settings change. Specifically the height settings. It goes up by a few mm every lock/unlock process and in a few days, its almost 4-5 cm higher than the lowest setting.

Any body else facing something similar?

Any one has any solutions to this?

Okay.. so i have had my CX-9 for a few months now, and completely love the car. However, im having a very weird issue - which even my service center is stumped by.

I save my seat settings (and i always keep the seat at the lowest height) on Memory 1, Memory 2 as well as the Key FOB that i use.
The process works completely fine - but - every time I lock the car - and then Unlock it, the seat settings change. Specifically the height settings. It goes up by a few mm every lock/unlock process and in a few days, its almost 4-5 cm higher than the lowest setting.

Any body else facing something similar?

Any one has any solutions to this?

You need to save memory 1 to Fob 1 and memory 2 to Fob 2. You can't save both memory seats settings (1 & 2) to one fob.

This maybe the reason the CX-9's computer(s) are getting confused and are not remembering the proper seat settings.

Last edited:
You need to save memory 1 to Fob 1 and memory 2 to Fob 2. You can't save both memory seats settings (1 & 2) to one fob.

This maybe the reason the CX-9's computer(s) are getting confused and are not remembering the proper seat settings.

Okay! - Will try doing this today. And update. Thanks for the tip - hope it works, because it is really getting very irritating saving the seat settings every few days.

Okay! - Will try doing this today. And update. Thanks for the tip - hope it works, because it is really getting very irritating saving the seat settings every few days.
You are welcome [emoji3]

It should. I've done this to my Mazda6 and remembers it with no issues.

You need to sahve memory 1 to Fob 1 and memory 2 to Fob 2. You can't save both memory seats settinghs (1 & 2) to one fob.

This'd make sense as one key can only get assigned to one of the two memorized seat positions. My BMW 528i has 3 memory positions and each key fob can be assigned to any of the 3, even on the same memorized position although that doesn't make sense to do it. But I remember people mentioned the key fobs on CX-5 (same on CX-9) can have their own memorized position independently from the memory buttons with the driver seat, hence you essentially have 4 memorized seat positions?

Unfortunately we couldn't get memory seat at the time and I can't play with one on Mazda's. :(

This'd make sense as one key can only get assigned to one of the two memorized seat positions. My BMW 528i has 3 memory positions and each key fob can be assigned to any of the 3, even on the same memorized position although that doesn't make sense to do it. But I remember people mentioned the key fobs on CX-5 (same on CX-9) can have their own memorized position independently from the memory buttons with the driver seat, hence you essentially have 4 memorized seat positions?

Unfortunately we couldn't get memory seat at the time and I can't play with one on Mazda's. :(

Well.. i had a VW before, and in that i never had this problem. All 3 memory positions on the seat + FOB would be programmed on the same settings - and the seat did not move.

Anyhow - I've tried the fix mentioned by Xeler - but it will take a day or two to know if it works. If it does.. hallelujah!

Well.. i had a VW before, and in that i never had this problem. All 3 memory positions on the seat + FOB would be programmed on the same settings - and the seat did not move.

Anyhow - I've tried the fix mentioned by Xeler - but it will take a day or two to know if it works. If it does.. hallelujah!

That's because the Mazda fob may not be as advanced as the VW fob.

Anyways, you should know pretty much straight away if it worked!

Well - so i experimented a bit - and have figured out that the FOB memory setting is different from the memory setting on the seat - so technically, i can set memory1 on seat to a particular setting, memory 2 to another one - and a completely different setting on the FOB. Memory one and memory two are changed from the buttons - but the FOB controls the position of the seat on opening the door.

So - i can't pretty much know straight away if any fix works, because it takes 15-20 lock and unlocks for the seat to be considerably higher (and doing this outside in dubai heat is a pain).
However, what i have done now, is saved the seat at different settings on all three memories.
Out of these, the FOB and memory one is at the lowest height (the one i use) - however, memory 1 is quite forward. Memory 2 is just a weird setting (underivable position) - and FOB is the one i drive in.
So i will observe now - on what happens .. whether the height of all 3 settings changes over time - or is it just the FOB or seat memory.

Lets see...

Don't believe the Mazda systems are designed for that much complication. Stick to what I described earlier. It's about as much as it can handle.

I don't get it--how can one fob be tied to multiple seat memory settings? How would the seat know which position to automatically move to if the key had multiple memory positions saved to it?

I don't get it--how can one fob be tied to multiple seat memory settings? How would the seat know which position to automatically move to if the key had multiple memory positions saved to it?
More sophisticated ones in VWs etc can

More sophisticated ones in VWs etc can

How--through mind meld? How can the car possibly know which of the 3 positions I want the seat to be in as I am walking up to the car? I understand the Mazda system is more basic--I have a BMW with programmable profiles tied to each key fob--different set of radio presets, display modes, etc. But still nothing like that for the seats.

This is all I found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgcOfCBUS6U

Last edited:
How--through mind meld? How can the car possibly know which of the 3 positions I want the seat to be in as I am walking up to the car? I understand the Mazda system is more basic--I have a BMW with programmable profiles tied to each key fob--different set of radio presets, display modes, etc. But still nothing like that for the seats.

This is all I found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgcOfCBUS6U

Ask the OP, they have a Beamer and apparently it does!

Just to be clear - on the VW i had 3 memory settings, and i could assign any one to the FOB. Not all 3! - But i would save the same seat position on all three memories - and then assign memory 1 to the FOB. And then forget about it.

It is very clear that the CX-9 doesn't follow the same method - as the FOB setting is not linked to any of the two memory buttons on the seat - but is a completely different data set being saved (as mentioned in my previous post) - so Memory 1 can be one seat position, memory 2 a second one and the FOB can be a completely different seat position (which is used when opening the door)

Now - for the experiment i tried -
The seat still moves in height. Simple. Inspite of having saved three different positions on all three (mem1/mem2/FOB). Now on opening the car the seat moves up even though the position saved on mem1 and FOB was at the lowest height. Both the MEM1 and FOB settings move up - so it can't be that any one particular setting save is going kaput. - The entire system is screwing up.
Is this something to do with the motor calibration? Because i do not think the data values that are saved could change - and that too just for one axis.

Im quite stumped - and the Mazda service guys here can't figure out anything (I'm in Dubai)... what can i do?

Looks like it's an issue with your vehicle. When I open the door to my Mazda 6, it moves back and down to my setting. The other fob is set closer to the steering wheel and higher up to accommodate the other driver. Speak to your dealer. One more thing, with all the times you have set multiple settings to the fob, my guess is the processor is overloaded or confused. Hence your issues

Well - this has been an issue since day 1 - and the first setting i ever made. So don't think the processor is overloaded or confused.

Looks like it's an issue with your vehicle. When I open the door to my Mazda 6, it moves back and down to my setting. The other fob is set closer to the steering wheel and higher up to accommodate the other driver. Speak to your dealer. One more thing, with all the times you have set multiple settings to the fob, my guess is the processor is overloaded or confused. Hence your issues

This is not a thing. You can't "set multiple settings to the fob". If you program the fob to memory 1, seat moves to memory 1 position on unlock and door open. If you then program that same fob to memory 2, that replaces the prior programming.

Well - so i experimented a bit - and have figured out that the FOB memory setting is different from the memory setting on the seat - so technically, i can set memory1 on seat to a particular setting, memory 2 to another one - and a completely different setting on the FOB. Memory one and memory two are changed from the buttons - but the FOB controls the position of the seat on opening the door.

So - i can't pretty much know straight away if any fix works, because it takes 15-20 lock and unlocks for the seat to be considerably higher (and doing this outside in dubai heat is a pain).
However, what i have done now, is saved the seat at different settings on all three memories.
Out of these, the FOB and memory one is at the lowest height (the one i use) - however, memory 1 is quite forward. Memory 2 is just a weird setting (underivable position) - and FOB is the one i drive in.
So i will observe now - on what happens .. whether the height of all 3 settings changes over time - or is it just the FOB or seat memory.

Lets see...

This is correct. You can basically have 4 different memory positions. 2 using the 2 buttons by the driver seat and a different 2, one for each of the 2 key fobs. See page 2-8 of the owner manual. Here is the note: NOTE
 Individual seat positions can be
programmed to the two available
programming buttons on the side of the
driver's seat, plus one seat position for
each registered key.

Can't find in the manual how many "registered key" the CX9 can support but it is at least 2 and if more registered keys are supported, may be more seat memory positions that can be programmed.

Back