Auto Door Lock Feature - question

Sorry, I was only trying to help ;-), Haha, yes, interference from the microwaves I guess but mine rarely works if the phone is close to the fob.

I always keep my key fob in a separate pocket away from my smartphone - helps prevent unnecessary screen damage :D

I disabled the auto-lock feature on mine because of the few times that it didn't lock. If I have to check it each time to see if it locked, then it really isn't auto-lock, I can just lock it myself as easily as checking to see if it did lock.

You don't have to check it. You just have to listen. It beeps if it locks. Always. 100% of the time. It never beeps twice and fails to lock.

You don't have to check it. You just have to listen. It beeps if it locks. Always. 100% of the time. It never beeps twice and fails to lock.

Exactly (not too difficult) and I don't think mine has ever beeped once (proximity initiation) and not the 2nd (locking) beep..lot o complaining about a pretty nice little convenience feature that none of my cars ever had..is it a big deal to push a button (on a fob or a door handle)- no but its even cooler not to have to- particularly on exit when my hands more often have more things in them...love it.

I feel like I've had strange behavior when I use the lift gate. Haven't paid too much attention but I have definitely noticed it was unlocked when I expected it to be locked after using the gate.

You assume that I can hear it. I have about 20% hearing in the left ear, and 90% in the right, so I get by, most of the time. I have a hearing aid, it failed right after warranty ran out.

Don't know if it does this already but maybe it should also flash its blinkers/indicators/signals to confirm auto lock (uhm)

They blink on the 2nd, locking, beep. At least 16 does.

Can someone kindly save me the time searching through the manual and post simple instructions on how to activate/set-up the auto lock feature? It is not on by default in my vehicle. Thanks!

You mean you haven't sat in your car and gone through every single screen of the Infotainment yet?
Go to Settings. It's under vehicle.

This is something I will examine closely when I get mine!
Now that is a question that begs for an answer. When will you get yours. Hehe! It's my 3rd month of waiting for my unit. Gives me more time to research on Mazda and the CX-5 features but it also increases my anxiety!

Now that is a question that begs for an answer. When will you get yours. Hehe! It's my 3rd month of waiting for my unit. Gives me more time to research on Mazda and the CX-5 features but it also increases my anxiety!

As soon as my current 6 is sold.

Over here medium sized cars with the exception on the Camry don't sell in that much quantities. Hence taking longer for me to sell it especially as will be classed as second hand.

Last edited:
I got heavily burned by this 'feature' this last weekend.

I have all the locks set on the auto-lock, proximity auto-lock, timer relock set to 30 secs, etc. I left this past weekend, and very quickly went into my car to close my garage door, and closed the door as I got into the Uber waiting for me. Apparently, my car didn't lock fully automatically (because I guess by the time the door closed I was too far from the car, which is the worst part about the system) and someone broke into my car over the weekend. Thankfully, nothing was stolen because I leave nothing of value in my car, but I HATE the idea of any stranger just rummaging through my belongings.

As I'm sure everyone is aware: if you have a passenger, and you exit the vehicle and walk away while they take their time getting ready your car will not lock automatically, even if your lock settings are set extremely securely. Just like if you swing the door closed as you walk away, it may not go off.

YOU HAVE TO BE STANDING IMMEDIATELY IN PROXIMITY OF THE CAR AS THE LAST DOOR CLOSES FOR THE CAR TO LOCK!

Don't be like me and have to clean up after someone has flipped around all your s***. It's a crappy feeling, and a crappy scenario, and I very much dislike it's something I have to be hyperaware of now because of this.

It doesn't bother me when people go through my car as long as they don't break anything. I'm strange I guess. I've had my cars rifled through several times. When someone tried to tear my wife's convertible top and couldn't so they then broke the window... to steal her ratty ass tennis shoes... we started leaving our doors UNLOCKED. Have at it thieves, just don't break anything.
I was actually insulted the last time it happened in my Saab. They didn't steal my CD'S!!!! Are you saying I have bad taste in music? :D

I got heavily burned by this 'feature' this last weekend.

I have all the locks set on the auto-lock, proximity auto-lock, timer relock set to 30 secs, etc. I left this past weekend, and very quickly went into my car to close my garage door, and closed the door as I got into the Uber waiting for me. Apparently, my car didn't lock fully automatically (because I guess by the time the door closed I was too far from the car, which is the worst part about the system) and someone broke into my car over the weekend. Thankfully, nothing was stolen because I leave nothing of value in my car, but I HATE the idea of any stranger just rummaging through my belongings.

As I'm sure everyone is aware: if you have a passenger, and you exit the vehicle and walk away while they take their time getting ready your car will not lock automatically, even if your lock settings are set extremely securely. Just like if you swing the door closed as you walk away, it may not go off.

YOU HAVE TO BE STANDING IMMEDIATELY IN PROXIMITY OF THE CAR AS THE LAST DOOR CLOSES FOR THE CAR TO LOCK!

Don't be like me and have to clean up after someone has flipped around all your s***. It's a crappy feeling, and a crappy scenario, and I very much dislike it's something I have to be hyperaware of now because of this.
Thanks for the info. I had I think more than 2x experience with that. I just don't know why or what are the parameters. Thanks for the input!

I have had the auto lock since my '08 CX9.
Love it.
Once you know how it works, it is there to make life simpler.
If you are not sure, press the lock button on the fob.

Several special occasions:
1) gas station: if I don't want the auto lock to kick in, I leave the door ajar if someone is still in the car.
2) garage: I close the door (last one) while walking away at the same time. Usually, no beep, no locking.

Back