Auto Door Lock Feature - question

It beeps to confirm when it locks as you're walking away... if you don't hear the beep, it's not locked. For me it's pretty fool proof.

Unless you set it to be loud. It's customizable in the 2017 at least... and it can get decently loud.

The blinkers/turn signals flash as well if I am not mistaken so this should help as well

If the fob is in the same pocket as your phone it may not work
AHA! I often wear cargo pants with my phone in the pocket under the pocket where my key fob is. That explains it, I also notice it does not always work in gas stations, not sure if all the electronics in the surrounding pumps may be a factor. Of course you can always resort to the button on the fob. What a drag. ;-)

I feel like Mazda over-engineered this feature in their attempt to make it 'smart.' On my 2017 Malibu it's a strict timer (about 10 seconds) that runs from the last door/trunk release to be closed then locks the car - proximity is not taken into account. The Mazda auto lock doesn't work as well when you have passengers, or babies or car seats, or getting stuff out of your trunk unless I keep all doors opened and then close them all at once.

I feel like Mazda over-engineered this feature in their attempt to make it 'smart.' On my 2017 Malibu it's a strict timer (about 10 seconds) that runs from the last door/trunk release to be closed then locks the car - proximity is not taken into account. The Mazda auto lock doesn't work as well when you have passengers, or babies or car seats, or getting stuff out of your trunk unless I keep all doors opened and then close them all at once.

You can close/open all of the doors as many times as you want. I think the auto lock is only disabled/doesn't work when the key fob isn't in the effective range when the door/liftgate is closed. For example, I can turn off the car, step out and close the driver's side door (car beeps to signal the auto lock). I walk around the back to the rear passenger door to take my daughter out of the car and set her car seat on the ground, then close the door (car beeps again to signal the auto lock). Now I can go to the liftgate and open the trunk to unload the groceries, and when I close the trunk, the car beeps again. As soon as I step out of range with all doors closed securely, the doors lock.

I'd take this over a strict timer any day.

The holder of the fob just has to stay in proximity until the last door is shut.

yup this is what i do, absolutely no problem at all, it's not over engineered,
for those with issues, i think it could be user inexperience.
The only time the door doesn't lock automatically is if walk away from my car while my passengers are still closing their doors, my key is not within proximity so it will not lock..just the way it's engineered to do so.
If i wait for all the passengers to close their doors and then i walk away, it will LOCK.

You can close/open all of the doors as many times as you want. I think the auto lock is only disabled/doesn't work when the key fob isn't in the effective range when the door/liftgate is closed. For example, I can turn off the car, step out and close the driver's side door (car beeps to signal the auto lock). I walk around the back to the rear passenger door to take my daughter out of the car and set her car seat on the ground, then close the door (car beeps again to signal the auto lock). Now I can go to the liftgate and open the trunk to unload the groceries, and when I close the trunk, the car beeps again. As soon as I step out of range with all doors closed securely, the doors lock.

I'd take this over a strict timer any day.

I'm not sure its 100 proximity either. Well I know it's not on mine. If you stand next to it after closing the door it will eventually lock.

Yep, just timed with a stopwatch. 30 seconds standing next to the door.

I don't have such a setting?!? It's none of these. IMG_20181213_170854.jpeg

Back