Auto Door Lock Feature - question

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hello!

I currently have the auto lock enabled where I get out of the vehicle, walk away, and it locks all of the doors itself. With this enabled, do I have to worry about the doors locking if the FOB is inside the vehicle? The reason I ask is for car washes, valet, etc. if it will lock, then I will disable that feature.

Do you all use that feature? I have yet to really drive my car at night and yet the adaptive lightjng, etc. I may go out later tonight after Live PD :)

It detects you walking away by tracking when the key fob goes out of range. So it shouldn't do anything if it's inside.

On our '15 it will never lock itself with fob inside. If you do it manually through buttons on your fob, the fob that's in the vehicle might get invalidated. If only the driver has the fob, exits the car and closes the door before the passengers do, it will never lock either. Few of the weird and convoluted features to otherwise useful function that Mazda implemented.

I love it because if I walk away and it doesn't beep, I know I've forgotten my keys in the car or I didn't shut the door completely.

Awesome! I'm loving this feature! Now, I just need to remember to lock our other car and. If just walk away! LOL!

I love it because if I walk away and it doesn't beep, I know I've forgotten my keys in the car or I didn't shut the door completely.

After how long after you leave the vehicle does it beep (uhm) I am curious as want to know this so am aware when I get my CX-5 :)

It's very quick. Too quick sometimes. If my son doesn't get out quick enough, he gets locked in. LOL

It usually beeps after a second or so after you close the door. However if you walk away too fast before the one second it will not beep. I like this feature a lot, it's very handy. It doesn't sense passengers tho, it'll lock them in the car if I get out and close the door and walk away lol This is the same as in my mazda3.

It usually beeps after a second or so after you close the door. However if you walk away too fast before the one second it will not beep. I like this feature a lot, it's very handy. It doesn't sense passengers tho, it'll lock them in the car if I get out and close the door and walk away lol This is the same as in my mazda3.

Thanks for the explanation

After how long after you leave the vehicle does it beep (uhm) I am curious as want to know this so am aware when I get my CX-5 :)

It's all in the manual, but it's both proximity and time based.

The timer doesn't start until you walk out of exterior key sensing zones outside the car. These are at each doors and the tail gate. It will beep once when you leave the proximity sensor area, indicating locking timer has started. Then it beeps again 3-5 seconds later to confirm the car is locked. If you do not hear the second beep, it did not lock.

If you get out of the car and walk out of the driver's proximity sensing zone (hear first beep) but walk back into another zone before the car locks itself (rear door / trunk) the locking timer is cancelled and the countdown won't start again until you once again leave the zone. This is the purpose of the delay, so you can open other doors without having to unlock before walking away.

It's all in the manual, but it's both proximity and time based.

The timer doesn't start until you walk out of exterior key sensing zones outside the car. These are at each doors and the tail gate. It will beep once when you leave the proximity sensor area, indicating locking timer has started. Then it beeps again 3-5 seconds later to confirm the car is locked. If you do not hear the second beep, it did not lock.

If you get out of the car and walk out of the driver's proximity sensing zone (hear first beep) but walk back into another zone before the car locks itself (rear door / trunk) the locking timer is cancelled and the countdown won't start again until you once again leave the zone. This is the purpose of the delay, so you can open other doors without having to unlock before walking away.

Excellent. Thanks for the information :)

The worst problem on our Auto Door Lock feature is it won't lock the doors automatically from time to time. It's this unreliable nature making us to do some extra steps to make sure the Auto Door Lock is actually worked like walking away slowly to hear the door lock beep or see the turn signal flash. It's annoying if this Auto Door Lock can't guarantee you it'll lock the doors properly every time. And each time during the fill-up at the gas station it's inconvenient the doors will be locked immediately while I'm in and out doing some trash cleaning which forces me to leave a door open slightly.

Among all CX-5 owners I know, about half of them turn the Auto Door Lock off on purpose as they feel it's too annoying.

The worst problem on our Auto Door Lock feature is it won't lock the doors automatically from time to time. It's this unreliable nature making us to do some extra steps to make sure the Auto Door Lock is actually worked like walking away slowly to hear the door lock beep or see the turn signal flash. It's annoying if this Auto Door Lock can't guarantee you it'll lock the doors properly every time. And each time during the fill-up at the gas station it's inconvenient the doors will be locked immediately while I'm in and out doing some trash cleaning which forces me to leave a door open slightly.

Among all CX-5 owners I know, about half of them turn the Auto Door Lock off on purpose as they feel it's too annoying.

Except the CX5 still has auto lock where if the key is out of it for for than a set time, it will automatically lock.

Except the CX5 still has auto lock where if the key is out of it for for than a set time, it will automatically lock.

But yes it can be annoying such as the circumstances you mentioned.

I disagree with yrwei52. It's not annoying at all once your are aware of its nuances. This dude is annoyed by a lot of little things. [emoji39]
There have been a few times, 3 or 4 times, at best, it didn't lock and I couldn't figure out why. This is why I turned the volume up on the beep (it's still not very loud). I'd bet the percent of GT owners that turn this feature off intentionally is less then 10%.

I turned it off as I keep the car in the garage and got tired of having to go get the keys if I needed something out of the car.If I didn't have a garage I would probably have this turned on.

I've never had that problem. In the information systems field, the most common cause of problems is user error.

Back