Engine Transplant

I'm toying with the idea of transplanting a turbo gas 2.5 CX-9 engine on a CX-5. AFAIK they are the same except for the turbo charger.

Any thoughts?

I think it would just make more sense to turbocharge your current engine.

dont forget you will need:

coilovers
sway bars
upgraded brakes
a good ECU tune
revised exhaust system

at the minimum for the build to work well overall.

I think the front axle is a different length too. If you have a DENSO ecu in your cx5 it makes way more sense just to turbo what you have.

Wow. So many things to consider. I agree with you guys that "turbo-ing" the current engine is a better option. But aren't turbo engines different in built although the same dimensions? An example is the pistons. My friends changed their pistons whenever they add turbo to their car.

Wow. So many things to consider. I agree with you guys that "turbo-ing" the current engine is a better option. But aren't turbo engines different in built although the same dimensions? An example is the pistons. My friends changed their pistons whenever they add turbo to their car.

Yes. You need lower compression pistons. Turbos run on low compression. is this turbo build something you are actually considering doing? You should be able to get it all done for roughly $5000 USD or so. Another option is a supercharger, which will result in a more linear power delivery and better power in the high end. The turbocharger will not affect fuel economy though.

Yes. You need lower compression pistons. Turbos run on low compression. is this turbo build something you are actually considering doing? You should be able to get it all done for roughly $5000 USD or so. Another option is a supercharger, which will result in a more linear power delivery and better power in the high end. The turbocharger will not affect fuel economy though.
Just toying with the idea and at the same time trying to stir up the minds of Mazda owners. Hehe!

Yeah lower compression. Plus I think the connecting rods would probably needs replacement as well.

I think it's impossible to turbocharge the CX-5 given the limited engine bay area.

You don't need low comp pistons. You just run a lower boost pressure. There are a few 2.0L skyactives on stock internals already. 8psi has shown to be safe and bumps about 100hp. And that's with less than perfect tuning because the mitsubishi ECUs on all first gen skyactives, and some up until the 2016 my's are missing tables for boost tuning.

That one time I built a rear turbo mount (burnout)

Last edited:
Just toying with the idea and at the same time trying to stir up the minds of Mazda owners. Hehe!

Yeah lower compression. Plus I think the connecting rods would probably needs replacement as well.

I think it's impossible to turbocharge the CX-5 given the limited engine bay area.

Mazda has already said that the Turbo engine from the CX-9 will fit in the CX-5.

You don't need low comp pistons. You just run a lower boost pressure. There are a few 2.0L skyactives on stock internals already. 8psi has shown to be safe and bumps about 100hp. And that's with less than perfect tuning because the mitsubishi ECUs on all first gen skyactives, and some up until the 2016 my's are missing tables for boost tuning.

Really? So my 2015 2.5L 6 has a Mitsubishi ECU in it?

For just stock everyday operation, is it a good ECU? Let's say I were to replace my muffler with something high flow, would the ECU adjust well on its own?

Mazda has already said that the Turbo engine from the CX-9 will fit in the CX-5.
This is correct. Dave Coleman has said that the only car it doesn't fit in is the CX-3 (which probably also means it doesn't fit in a Mazda2).

Is your CX-5 a dedicated project car? I can see this getting very expensive whatever option you go for. I also think turbocharging your current engine will be cheaper, but that engine runs a high compression at 13:1. In comparison the 2.5T in the CX-9 only runs at 11.5:1 compression ratio. So you might be able to run a turbo on your CX-5 engine, but you might not be able to run enough boost to make it worth your while.

The 2.5T compression is very impressive for a turbo engine.

OP is not going to turbo his car either way, so it doesn't matter.

Is it possible to lower the boost pressure without affecting the stock "Atkinson cycle" timing of the valves?

I'm not familiar with engine tuning, but I have been following the proven results.

Sell the CX5 and buy what you really wanted.
I've heard that line before.

[emoji16]

And even after you get what you want, you'd still go on with toying with it again.

That is what my friend told my colleagues so he bought a Subaru STi. After a year he ended up spending $18k on upgrades. [emoji28]

I've heard that line before.

[emoji16]

And even after you get what you want, you'd still go on with toying with it again.

That is what my friend told my colleagues so he bought a Subaru STi. After a year he ended up spending $18k on upgrades. [emoji28]

I never did. I bought a 5.0gt when I was 18 and did a TON of s***. Motor swap, transmission swap, suspension, subframes, all the things.

Later on in my mid 20s I just bought a new z06 and didn't touch a damn thing. So much happier.

Lol, I'm sure everyone on the AWD army page purchased the car they wanted. Then spent 10s of G's building the motors so they can safely do 500+ hp and other chassis supporting mods haha. People import rxx GTRs and drop 20k in mods and they had to wait 25 years to legally have the one they wanted!

Back