2017 CX 9 Customer Reviews

I think the seating comfort differs from people to people. Some prefer firm leather others prefer soft. What road they drive matters too. Local hilly roads are the most uncomfortable to drive. People just blame it on the car. But, actually Mazdas are the best on windy, hilly roads. I don't really understand what people are saying about bumpy ride. I test drove a CX 9 GT for 30 minutes on highway with ups and downs. It was amazingly good. Even my current Mazdas don't have that many seating positions and we are totally fine with it.

As Saab spent decades showing before they died an untimely death just as BMW stopped normally aspirated everything and turbocharged everything. LOW Pressure Turbo gives bags of low down torque to get those wheels turning faster from lower speeds.

Just because it's a V6 does not naturally make it more powerful. Usually that is more torque than an I4. LPT changes that.

Day to day you want torque not max power. Even to pull on the belt Parkway or the LIE or the Hutchinson you want torque not power.

I didn't test drive the vehicle, it's our 6th car and was purchased sight unseen as a baby hauler. The wheel is fine for short runs, but the uncomfortable aspect is pretty evident to me on longer drives. The remainder of the drivetrain, exterior, interior is very impressive for a car at this price point.

So you're talking about the stitching being too abrasive?

Seems weird coming from a Sorento owner. I've said it before, the CX-9 has more room in 2nd and 3rd row as well as behind the 3rd row than the Sorento. And approximately the same cargo space with seats folded. Do you use your 3rd row?

All this talk about CX-9's lesser interior dimensions yet the Sorento sells like hot cakes being smaller. It's not just you Crazybiker, but much talk online. People that complain about a CX-9 shortcoming, go and buy a car missing the same thing.

MOST 3 row crossovers sold don't have a panoramic roof.
MOST 3 row crossovers sold don't have ventilated seats.
MOST 3 row crossovers sold don't have a heated steering wheel.
MOST 3 row crossovers sold don't have heated rear seats.
MOST 3 row crossovers sold don't have power folding mirrors.
and so on....

Why, because most people don't buy the platinum (or equivalent) trim. Yet all the internet does is point out these missing things, then turn around a buy the middle trim without all these features.

I think you will find a lot of these features are available as standard now on the other SUVs, namely the VW Atlas, which has Android and Apple carplay standard. We've had 4 CX-9 since it came out in 2008. It seems they have decontented it every year. Fuel mileage with the 4 banger is no better than the 3.7 ltr V6. Best mileage was from the 3.5 ltr (We routinely got 25 mpg highway with kids and cartop carrier) which offered the same performance as the 3.7 ltr. I think there was only a 12 HP difference between the two and the same torque figures. Biggest bummer for me was the ommission of the tilt function of the seat bottom. No support for my thighs and I'm only 5' 8". Good thing its the wife's car. That seat is almost tilting forward. Also, Android/Apple Carplay has been around a few years now and should have been on the car already. It isn't that hard or expensive to include.

The vehicle does handle and ride more like the German cars. The CX-9s stiffest competition right now is the VW Atlas. Dealers cant keep the top of the line trim in stock and getting 2k to 5k over msrp. My personal vehicle is a 2017 Audi Q7 and although close the Mazda is still not as solid as the Q7. The Q7 is getting better mileage (21 mpg around town) with a v6 supercharged engine and that's a 4900 lb vehicle! All the stuff you listed above is standard on the German cars and more on the Q7. Of course you'll pay more but the Atlas with all the stuff above is only 2k more than the CX-9 plus a 72 month bumper to bumper warranty. (wow)

I think you will find a lot of these features are available as standard now on the other SUVs, namely the VW Atlas, which has Android and Apple carplay standard. We've had 4 CX-9 since it came out in 2008. It seems they have decontented it every year. Fuel mileage with the 4 banger is no better than the 3.7 ltr V6. Best mileage was from the 3.5 ltr (We routinely got 25 mpg highway with kids and cartop carrier) which offered the same performance as the 3.7 ltr. I think there was only a 12 HP difference between the two and the same torque figures. Biggest bummer for me was the ommission of the tilt function of the seat bottom. No support for my thighs and I'm only 5' 8". Good thing its the wife's car. That seat is almost tilting forward. Also, Android/Apple Carplay has been around a few years now and should have been on the car already. It isn't that hard or expensive to include.

The vehicle does handle and ride more like the German cars. The CX-9s stiffest competition right now is the VW Atlas. Dealers cant keep the top of the line trim in stock and getting 2k to 5k over msrp. My personal vehicle is a 2017 Audi Q7 and although close the Mazda is still not as solid as the Q7. The Q7 is getting better mileage (21 mpg around town) with a v6 supercharged engine and that's a 4900 lb vehicle! All the stuff you listed above is standard on the German cars and more on the Q7. Of course you'll pay more but the Atlas with all the stuff above is only 2k more than the CX-9 plus a 72 month bumper to bumper warranty. (wow)

The point of my post was that most models sold by the competition are the mid-trim models which do not have any of the features I laid out. Notice, for example, that most Sorento's you see are the base LX model. There's not even that many EX's on the road. Yet people will focus on what the SX-L ($47K) has that almost no one buys.

You opened by saying these things are "standard" on other SUV's. Not sure what you mean since none of that equipment is standard on any non-luxury SUV. Almost no luxury SUV has all of these things standard. I think you mean available on top trims. So if you're a buyer in the minority ready to drop over $45K in this segment, then sure, you may have to look elsewhere if these few things are important to you. Just know that you miss out on all the things that the CX-9 is superior at.

BTW, CX-9 gets seat tilt in 2018.

Also, consider that only about half of cars being sold come with Android Auto/Apple Carplay. Mazda not having it isn't that crazy.

You may like VW, but most Americans don't. It's the last 3-row I would buy in the segment out of the dozen or so available. No offense. And look closely at that 72 month warranty. It's very limited. Covers repairs to correct a defect in manufacturer’s material or workmanship (i.e., mechanical defects). Typical 36 month warranties cover much more, even wear and tear items because they are expected to go at least 36 months. So VW will get out of fixing most things.

CX-9 beats Atlas and everyone else in this comparison...

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/three-row-suv-test-vw-atlas-vs-dodge-durango-gmc-acadia-honda-pilot-mazda-cx-9-comparison-test

Following customer reviews online, for a while. Mostly, the new CX 9 has got great reviews. Though, I am seeing few not so good reviews. Your take?

*** "Super bells and whistles but cut cost on driver and front passenger seats. Not car comfort for trips over 25 miles!!! 2010 CX-9 had great seats, not so in 2017!"

I know exactly what you mean. Mazda's seats are very firm from the factory but soften up after some mileage builds up. that's why your 2010 model was comortable and the new one wasnt (it will soften up soon)

**** "Nice car but no power ! Very nice interior but the front exterior is not very appealing. The car is roomy but doesn't come with option of V6, therefore no power. The handling and noise are comparable to other SUV in the same class ( pilot, highlander)."

I think the exterior is very nice all around. I don't like SUV's at all, but mazda's new ones look great without a doubt. I am impatiently waiting to see the design of their new 3/6, as the rest of the competition has left me dissapointed with disgusting new exterior designs. the cx-9's turbo engine was designed purely with the average driver in mind who does not rev the car hard. keeping it underneath 4500RPM while using 91 octane fuel i am sure is enough. it's got pretty solid figures. the mazda 6 we have might only have 185hp, but people forget that it also makes that same figure in torque at 3250rpm which is perfectly adequate for spirited city driving. the cx-9's turbo engine is a similar story with 250 ft/lb or so at 2000rpm, which is a great figure for daily driving.

turbo engines respond and feel totally different to the NA engines you are used to. after adapting to the feel of this new turbo engine and getting real world experience with it out on the street, i doubt you'll feel wanting for more. our 2015 mazda 6 has the older design interior, but mazda stepped their interior game up big-time with the facelifted 2017 which addressed pretty much the one gripe I had with this car.

I can tell the brand is working hard and developing their luxury image quickly after severing ties with Ford and their successful partnership. It is great to see Mazda finally achieving what they wanted with the Amati japanese-luxury fighting brand they proposed in 1990. unfortunately they just did not have the money to start a seperate luxury brand like acura, nissan and lexus back then.

Mazda has stepped up their automatic transmission game BIG-TIME with the skyactiv design transmissions. the previous generation 5 speed auto used in the 4 cylinder mazda's was an apalling transmission to say the least. the newest mazda 6 continues to ride on the original G chassis and revised skyactiv version of the L engine they had from before, but everything is very well designed together and still class-competitive without a doubt. mazda's drivetrain and chassis tuning is excellent. above all, my favourite two things about the car is the 2.5L engine which revs and produces torque wonderfully while being efficient and making a great sound, and the steering. I cannot think of any other 2015 model car that is this involving to drive period.

Last edited:
Mazda has stepped up their automatic transmission game BIG-TIME with the skyactiv design transmissions. the previous generation 5 speed auto used in the 4 cylinder mazda's was an apalling transmission to say the least. the newest mazda 6 continues to ride on the original G chassis and revised skyactiv version of the L engine they had from before, but everything is very well designed together and still class-competitive without a doubt.

I share your sentiments about the Mazda6, but the current Mazda6 does not ride on the old GG/GY chassis, or a modified version of it. The 2014+ Mazda6 rides on the SKYACTIV Chassis. Also, the SKYACTIV-G engine is not a derivative of the MZR/L engine either.

Pretty accurate review. CX-9 is opposite of practical

It's not at all accurate. He gets a lot wrong. While I like the Sorento and agree it's one of the best in segment (SX, SX-L), I find it interesting that he calls it the best while with the same reason he didn't like the CX-9 - apparent space deficiency. The Sorento and CX-9 are the closest for interior space but one is practical, one is not. Ironically, in many measurements, the CX-9 is more roomy. He also calls both vehicles the smallest of the group. Which is it? He's all over the place. No wonder why he gets bashed in the comments.

Again, check the specs comparison I posted above. Sorento has more space except the cargo. Mazda better fix the cx9 given their abysmal sales.

Much practical bike. It's a comfortable FZ1 that can commute as well as tour and be comfortable at race track. It's not s family hauler lol.

Pretty accurate review. CX-9 is opposite of practical
By definition, any SUV is practical.
Pretty practical if you ask me.
6f3a06c807eed98dbfa55f18994c0aca.jpg

Back