2017 CX 9 Customer Reviews

It's not hard to be a driver's suv and be practical. How hard it is to reduce some of the interior protruding plastic and add more room or more features? It is like the designers were given a free reign and like designers do, they don't think about practicality. All the bones are already there in the new CX-9. Fix it!

Silly. The % of people looking for an "enjoyable driving experience" in this class, or almost any class other than sports cars, is minimal. Mazda will die a slow death if that's all they cater to.

Precisely , brands that will have to make a huge investment jump in production and capital for being able to match huge sales and after sales service etc.. are quite smart in trying to make a new niche where they will be the leaders . then, when their image and philosophy are well know then you will be able to invest huge with low risk. seems mazda guys are much cleverer than many assume. so I guess SILLY isn't the word I would use. perhaps I would replace it with CLEVER. NICHE, that's the magic word.

I personally would buy a Kodo styled 6spd Mazda speed5, if it offered 6 seats and sliding doors. But I recognize that would be too weird to bring to market. I had a thought, maybe the sport 3row suv segment is also a little weirder than we think. By regular folk's standards.. those people buying pilots and highlanders.

But then I think, look at those Infinity's FX's and QX's. I wonder what their sales numbers are like. Some of the QX series cars are basically the same shape as the CX9.. Long hoods, handling intentions. So do any of those have 3 row seating? Porsche too I guess is another example of market support for 'sporty' SUV's. I believe Cayenne sells best of any of their models.

Mazda never will be a volume seller, so why would you want them to be like one? They are niche in many ways, kinda like Mitsubishi...

What I find attractive is their unique style and design - and that I don't have something that everyone on the block has....

In terms of features, no car has every feature you want.. compared to the my first gen CX9 which was a good CUV, the 2nd gen is much improved in every aspect except for the size.

Be respectful. Cx9 lost driver seat height adjustment and reverse mirror auto tilt as well as space.

A lot of people want nice driving dynamics, but it's just a matter of where it fits into priorities. It's too bad more companies can't do what they're doing while also making their vehicles more fun to drive. I guess it's not easy.

Isn't BMW's main selling point driving dynamics? It certainly isn't reliability, interior quality, or resale value. Yet they run close to Mercedes and Lexus sales in the US as the top luxury brands.

^^^ This.

A lot of people want nice driving dynamics, but it's just a matter of where it fits into priorities. It's too bad more companies can't do what they're doing while also making their vehicles more fun to drive. I guess it's not easy.

Isn't BMW's main selling point driving dynamics? It certainly isn't reliability, interior quality, or resale value. Yet they run close to Mercedes and Lexus sales in the US as the top luxury brands.

I am a fan of BMW for not only their driving dynamics, but impressive ability to build a car with both straight line stability and cornering prowess which is what Mazda is good at as well. I love the design of their vehicles, RWD, brilliant transmission tuning and wonderful inline 6 engines which provide unparalled levels of smoothness, low RPM torque/response and sound. Lastly, the clean, unassuming sedan styling with sports car-like performance laying underneath.

essentially any bmw before 2011 is actually a reliable and long lasting car, as long as you opt for the the naturally aspirated motors which have reliability that no one expected from the brand. The n52 motor built in 2006+ has been recorded to reach 350k miles more then once on forums. The ones before 2006 are just as impressive, I have driven high mileage BMWs with very strong motors, they are actually quite reliable.

The newer fancy electronics will eventually break, but the motor itself will just keep running as long as you maintain the engine.

My NA BMW has 75k Miles on the odo and I havent encountered a single issue with the car. It drives very well.

"A lot"? If you think so... Most people don't even know whether their car is FWD or RWD, or what the difference means.

I have a BMW, and I look around at other BMWs and their drivers. There's no way that most BMW buyers are purchasing because of driving dynamics. Same with the Cadillac ATS, which handles way better than the BMW--mostly your prototypical Caddy drivers behind the wheel.

"A lot"? If you think so... Most people don't even know whether their car is FWD or RWD, or what the difference means.

I have a BMW, and I look around at other BMWs and their drivers. There's no way that most BMW buyers are purchasing because of driving dynamics. Same with the Cadillac ATS, which handles way better than the BMW--mostly your prototypical Caddy drivers behind the wheel.

Instead of "driving dynamics", you could say "fun to drive" and will find a lot of people want a fun to drive car even if other qualities take priority. If you asked most people, do you want a fun to drive car or a boring car to drive, what do you think they'd choose? Many (most) people just end up with the boring car because it checks most other boxes. Pickup truck, minivan, typical SUV, etc...

BMW's for the most part are "fun to drive" because they are rwd. The difference between RWD and FWD is phenomenal when it comes to driving dynamics. There is a reason the majority of high end luxury cars are RWD. I'd counter your point by saying that the majority of the higher trim and especially "M" owners know exactly why the cars offer superior driving dynamics.

BMW's for the most part are "fun to drive" because they are rwd. The difference between RWD and FWD is phenomenal when it comes to driving dynamics. There is a reason the majority of high end luxury cars are RWD. I'd counter your point by saying that the majority of the higher trim and especially "M" owners know exactly why the cars offer superior driving dynamics.

But no one cares about that. All the bmw owners here opt for xdrive which ruins the fun anyways and drive softly.

BMW is popular because they mix everything together really well. The chassis reminds me of Mazda where it can seamlessly switch between straight line stability and cornering potential based on how the driver is feeling.

About the Cadillac ATS, I see nothing impressive there. Theyve simple made a 2015 model that handles like a 2009 bmw with the overall quality and luxury of a 2003 bmw. Not impressed at all and the sales coincide with my ideas.

Aside from "driving dynamics" itself, you have the driver-car connection that is really hard to achieve. BMW has it. Mazda has it. Most cars don't. Most cars are vague and disconnected from the driver where you are merely steering an appliance.

BMW X5 and Dodge Durango are rear wheel drive based suv s. Putting aside the bmw ( other segment) the dodge Durango ( v6 only) some say is the best handling suv ( after the cx9) in the segment. lets remember that rwd cars have this special sensation when u drive where the driver has two parts of the car, the front and the rear , while front based cars have only one, the front! .. the rear just follows and this is what makes it not so fun to drive. Yes what I'm saying is that ppl that like to drive, like the challenge of the rear wheel drive feeling. said this, on the other hand all wheel drive cars are far more secure to drive in all conditions so engineers are focusing ( audi for example) in making that feeling and challenge be felt in their QUATTRO cars, Ive got an S3 as my other car ( hatchback) and this car has made the impossible, that the rear end is alive and that u can fully put the car side ways and with a press of the accelerator the car will pull from the curve in ways itll blow ur mind.
I have also said in another reply I made, that the cx9 feels like a grown up S3 , where the rear feels alive ( obvious 500kgs difference ) and it feels so nimble and easy to drive at an 80% in the curves that u rapidly aknowledge the real DNA of the CX9 . . so to add this up to all said in this thread:

1) the CX9 isn't for ppl that are looking for the maximum cargo space
2) the CX9 is focus into a Niche that looks for the ppl that enjoy driving
3) dynamics are the new marketing objective of mazdas philosophy, you don't fit , go buy a Honda Pilot ..
4) RWD cars are fun but the new awd cars are really getting so close by now.

bravo! mazda in being a car company that makes things different. I do fit in that philosophy , I'm glad I purchased the CX9 .. I am now taking the suv twice a week to work and my wife stays with the s3 ..... she enjoys the car although she tells me lately there are a lot of guys flirting with her from car to car ( red s3) ...... damn she knows how to get her CX9 back!!

While it may sound weird, the 7 passenger CX-9 is best suited for a family of 4 maybe 5 if it's a young family. This isn't a bad thing or a mistake by Mazda. In fact this is the case for others like the Highlander, Sorento, Sante Fe, etc.

You could get along with a CX-9 with a family of 6 for daily driving but just as with anything that isn't a Suburban/Expedition, you can't bring along 6-7 people's worth of stuff for an extended trip.

It's ideal for that occasional car pool situation. Also, like in my case, I would never want a compact CUV for my family of 4 even if it would get the job done. I just don't like their stubby proportions and designs.

The CX-9 therefore has plenty of space for any road trip for the 4 of us. And if you decide to pack really heavy, just get a carrier.

Agree with that. Cmon Mazda fix the cx9. It's a simple fix really. I waited for this SUV for more than a year and was so disappointed.

JPL do you own a Toyota? I noticed that on your under your username, If so what model and how is it.

Agree with that. Cmon Mazda fix the cx9. It's a simple fix really. I waited for this SUV for more than a year and was so disappointed.

They're not going to fix many of the things you don't like. Interior design will more than likely not fundamentally change through this model cycle. Room will not increase. Check back around 2022 for generation 3.

Instead of "driving dynamics", you could say "fun to drive" and will find a lot of people want a fun to drive car even if other qualities take priority. If you asked most people, do you want a fun to drive car or a boring car to drive, what do you think they'd choose? Many (most) people just end up with the boring car because it checks most other boxes. Pickup truck, minivan, typical SUV, etc...

But...again, you miss the point. I bet most Honda Accord or Nissan Altima drivers would say their car is "fun to drive."

So...people who buy BMW M cars--the true enthusiasts--know? That's your support? C'mon.

I had a conversation with my neighbor when he was in the market to replace his Hyundai Santa Fe. I told him the new Mazda CX-9 was nice (it just came out), but I said he should definitely drive the Mazda, to make sure the 4-cylinder engine would be satisfactory to him. He thought that's what his Santa Fe had--he had no idea he had a V-6. THAT is the typical car owner. Not a BMW M-car owner.

So...people who buy BMW M cars--the true enthusiasts--know? That's your support? C'mon.

I had a conversation with my neighbor when he was in the market to replace his Hyundai Santa Fe. I told him the new Mazda CX-9 was nice (it just came out), but I said he should definitely drive the Mazda, to make sure the 4-cylinder engine would be satisfactory to him. He thought that's what his Santa Fe had--he had no idea he had a V-6. THAT is the typical car owner. Not a BMW M-car owner.

Woooosh....

Naw, they buy $70k+ niche cars because they like the way the cars look. You're right, my apologies- your analogy about your neighbor with the $25k car is much better than mine.

Last edited:
Back