2017 CX 9 Customer Reviews

I too wanted Panoramic Roof before buying. Didn't get it and truly I don't miss it either. The conventional sunroof provides ample rays from our closest Star and nice cool airflow at night.

Maybe you are better off. One of the other December CR articles--the exponential increase of "exploding" sunroofs since pano sunroofs became more mainstream.

Maybe you are better off. One of the other December CR articles--the exponential increase of "exploding" sunroofs since pano sunroofs became more mainstream.

And if it doesn't explode, you'll likely deal with leaks at some point. Such fixes won't be cheap.

Already finding myself closing the shade on my regular sunroof in the CX-9.

What? Sorento weighs the same as CX9 and handles pretty well if not better but close.

Yes, I stand corrected. That was the Gross Weight I looked up. Empty Weight is roughly 4,100lbs with the diesel version stretching up to 4,300lbs. As far as handling is concerned, I've driven both and having a basis for deriving a real comparison between the two might only be a figment of my imagination at best. The Kia Sorento had levels of body roll and under steer that put it in a class of basic SUVs in the same price category. The handling did not inspire spirited driving - it merely tolerated it. Tolerating spirited driving compared to actually egging it on, seems like two different driving dynamics to me. The CX-9 begs you to push it and then asks you: "Is that all ya got?"

Can't wait to get some bars on the bottom of this thing and then figure out which tires get the most out of the bars.

Notice during John's intro that he omits Mazda as a company that Kia will thrash in the future:

LOL! Gotta love it. "Old Kia bad Kia." What the heck is that?

Last edited:
Oh, my gawd! This guy belongs on SNL. "Poverty packed Land Rover." Can't breathe... "That box of donkey dodo." Unreal.

And, here's the Coup d'etat:

"Mazda CX-9. Now, that's really interesting. A total contender in this category. Especially, if you don't want a diesel... That 2.5 liter direct injected and turbo charged engine is (wait for it) amazing. It's basically combined the best aspects of petrol, high rpm power output for overtaking, with the best aspects of diesel, mid rpm power plus outstanding fuel economy. The Mazda engine is (wait for it) astonishing - a thermodynamic masterpiece. And, the vehicle overall puts even more pressure in the already bursting at the seams seven seat'er SUV category. Which is kinda, bad for them but very good for you. And, the CX-9 is physically bigger, too. Great internal packing and excellent technology.... It was certainly worth the wait..."

Last edited:
Yes, I stand corrected. That was the Gross Weight I looked up. Empty Weight is roughly 4,100lbs with the diesel version stretching up to 4,300lbs. As far as handling is concerned, I've driven both and having a basis for deriving a real comparison between the two might only be a figment of my imagination at best. The Kia Sorento had levels of body roll and under steer that put it in a class of basic SUVs in the same price category. The handling did not inspire spirited driving - it merely tolerated it. Tolerating spirited driving compared to actually egging it on, seems like two different driving dynamics to me. The CX-9 begs you to push it and then asks you: "Is that all ya got?"

Can't wait to get some bars on the bottom of this thing and then figure out which tires get the most out of the bars.

Notice during John's intro that he omits Mazda as a company that Kia will thrash in the future:

LOL! Gotta love it. "Old Kia bad Kia." What the heck is that?

I very well understand handling (duh, I am an avid motorcyclist and sportsbike rider). I regularly do trackdays and ride twisties in the mountains only. Again priorities! If I wanted a sportscar, I would have bought a sportscar. Sorento handles better than most 3-row crossovers if not better than a CX9. Frankly I am not hustling my 7 seater through the corners at speed with my family loaded in and causing them to throw up. I can take the handling tradeoff over the luxury and convenience features. If CX9 offered all that alongwith the handling I would have bought it instead. I waited for the new CX-9 by delaying my 7 seater purchase for over a year only to be left disappointed. I buy loaded luxury models only so thats where value for $$ matters more to me.

Oh, my gawd! This guy belongs on SNL. "Poverty packed Land Rover." Can't breathe... "That box of donkey dodo." Unreal.

And, here's the Coup d'etat:

"Mazda CX-9. Now, that's really interesting. A total contender in this category. Especially, if you don't want a diesel... That 2.5 liter direct injected and turbo charged engine is (wait for it) amazing. It's basically combined the best aspects of petrol, high rpm power output for overtaking, with the best aspects of diesel, mid rpm power plus outstanding fuel economy. The Mazda engine is (wait for it) astonishing - a thermodynamic masterpiece. And, the vehicle overall puts even more pressure in the already bursting at the seams seven seat'er SUV category. Which is kinda, bad for them but very good for you. And, the CX-9 is physically bigger, too. Great internal packing and excellent technology.... It was certainly worth the wait..."

Yeah, that guy is funny. Have seen many of his reviews before and he gives a glowing review of Sorento. Almost every youtube reviewer raves about the Sorento in all aspects and about the CX9 mostly in driving dynamics.

Crazybiker, you said "I buy loaded luxury models only so thats where value for $$ matters more to me" That's perfectly fine.

However, the Kia Sorento is not a luxury vehicle (neither is the CX-9), although it gives them a run for the money. I almost chose a Sorento...until I drove the CX-9; to me it was night and day. Also, the control layouts in Kia are designed by a sadist. This is actually a deal-breaker for me, because I know my own tolerance for "getting used to" vs. "this is annoying as eff". Had the same issue with Audi Q7 (which is "luxury"); control layout takes too much attention to operate.

To each their own...almost all high trim level SUVs are nice - one just picks the level of nice that best works for them.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    123.7 KB · Views: 358
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-mazda-cx-9-long-term-update-review

Months in Fleet:*11 months*Current mileage:*24,496 miles
Average Fuel Economy:*22 mpg*Fuel Tank Size:*19.5 gal*Fuel Range:*420 miles
Service:*$286*Normal Wear:*$0*Repair:$0
Damage and Destruction:*$177

If we could marry a car company at this very moment, there’s little question it would be Mazda. Maybe it’s not the sexiest, certainly it’s not the richest, but there’s no other auto manufacturer with whose full lineup we’d rather settle down. This is not hyperbole: When the most recent Mazda long-termer finished its 40,000-mile stay in our fleet, it was immediately purchased by one of our editors, whose real-life spouse is now driving that Mazda 3 every day.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-mazda-cx-9-long-term-update-review

Months in Fleet:*11 months*Current mileage:*24,496 miles
Average Fuel Economy:*22 mpg*Fuel Tank Size:*19.5 gal*Fuel Range:*420 miles
Service:*$286*Normal Wear:*$0*Repair:$0
Damage and Destruction:*$177

If we could marry a car company at this very moment, there’s little question it would be Mazda. Maybe it’s not the sexiest, certainly it’s not the richest, but there’s no other auto manufacturer with whose full lineup we’d rather settle down. This is not hyperbole: When the most recent Mazda long-termer finished its 40,000-mile stay in our fleet, it was immediately purchased by one of our editors, whose real-life spouse is now driving that Mazda 3 every day.

It's a nice compliment, but take it in context. A used Mazda 3 with 40,000 miles--what did that cost? Not a ton. So the editor is looking for a reasonably priced used car that's also fun to drive. Go out to the marketplace and take a chance with a 40,000 mi car with an unknown history purchased from a stranger? Or buy the one that you know its history, and the prior owner. Meh.

It's a nice compliment, but take it in context. A used Mazda 3 with 40,000 miles--what did that cost? Not a ton. So the editor is looking for a reasonably priced used car that's also fun to drive. Go out to the marketplace and take a chance with a 40,000 mi car with an unknown history purchased from a stranger? Or buy the one that you know its history, and the prior owner. Meh.
So you are taking the last sentence out of the quoted paragraph out of the whole review pulling it down to a nice reliable cheap fun to drive used car (all good things IMHO) and making that a meh?

eedf628feb19afdc936c84f30f1a79d5.jpg

So you are taking the last sentence out of the quoted paragraph out of the whole review pulling it down to a nice reliable cheap fun to drive used car (all good things IMHO) and making that a meh?

I've read plenty of great things about the new CX-9. Unfortunately, you didn't block quote any of it.

I'm commenting **only** on the specific passage that you quoted, which provides no value to the article, or insight on the car, whatsoever. It's a "nice story, bro." That's about it. It has 0 to do with the CX-9--"My colleague bought a cheap, used 3, so go out and buy he CX-9." So the editor bought a used economy car that he got a great deal on--BFD.

My apologies if I offended you in any way that I am not as dazzled by C&D's journalistic style as you are.

Last edited:
Back