2017 CX 9 Customer Reviews

Yes now it has reduced to a 5 seater with an emergency 3rd row from what it was before. They dropped reverse tilting power folding mirrors too.

Yes now it has reduced to a 5 seater with an emergency 3rd row from what it was before. They dropped reverse tilting power folding mirrors too.

Seems weird coming from a Sorento owner. I've said it before, the CX-9 has more room in 2nd and 3rd row as well as behind the 3rd row than the Sorento. And approximately the same cargo space with seats folded. Do you use your 3rd row?

All this talk about CX-9's lesser interior dimensions yet the Sorento sells like hot cakes being smaller. It's not just you Crazybiker, but much talk online. People that complain about a CX-9 shortcoming, go and buy a car missing the same thing.

MOST 3 row crossovers sold don't have a panoramic roof.
MOST 3 row crossovers sold don't have ventilated seats.
MOST 3 row crossovers sold don't have a heated steering wheel.
MOST 3 row crossovers sold don't have heated rear seats.
MOST 3 row crossovers sold don't have power folding mirrors.
and so on....

Why, because most people don't buy the platinum (or equivalent) trim. Yet all the internet does is point out these missing things, then turn around a buy the middle trim without all these features.

I have a brand new 2017 AWD touring.

Fantastic car. You really have to take it for a drive to feel the Torgue rather than just go by horsepower. It is 6 speed so doesn't alway shift back and forth. I test drove Highlander, serrento, pilot. This car is by far a drivers car, you can tell at first drive the difference. Beats all the others, this feels like a sedan while others feels like a truck.

The only major con is no 3rd row vents. HOWEVER I found that if you put the air flow to both face and floor you will get good circulation all the way to the back for the kiddies and we live in hot northern Cal.

The interior is so well done, fit and finish. Just drove to LA and it was a great ride both ways. You definitely can cruise at 85 and it's smooth. Exterior design well in my humble opinion it's modern, great form language and surface treatment.

Looking forward to Car play I HOPE!

We did alot of research and have been very happy with the Cx9.

Seems weird coming from a Sorento owner. I've said it before, the CX-9 has more room in 2nd and 3rd row as well as behind the 3rd row than the Sorento. And approximately the same cargo space with seats folded. Do you use your 3rd row?

All this talk about CX-9's lesser interior dimensions yet the Sorento sells like hot cakes being smaller. It's not just you Crazybiker, but much talk online. People that complain about a CX-9 shortcoming, go and buy a car missing the same thing.

MOST 3 row crossovers sold don't have a panoramic roof.
MOST 3 row crossovers sold don't have ventilated seats.
MOST 3 row crossovers sold don't have a heated steering wheel.
MOST 3 row crossovers sold don't have heated rear seats.
MOST 3 row crossovers sold don't have power folding mirrors.
and so on....

Why, because most people don't buy the platinum (or equivalent) trim. Yet all the internet does is point out these missing things, then turn around a buy the middle trim without all these features.
NO, it's not. Compare the specs. CX-9 has 5" lesser combined legroom and I can attest as I have spent extensive time in the CX-9 as well comparing.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/car...17-vs-mazda_cx-9_2016?trims=40056318,40056026

Agree with the later part that most don't buy loaded models.

Thank you so much sharing your thoughts. It gives me more confidence to go with a 3rd Mazda. We are a family of 4 and CX 9 should be perfect suv for us. I am having loads of fun with my existing Mazdas as well. I will soon buy a GT:)

Go and drive all the other brands to compare. Don't take reviewers view as the the final verdict.

Seats are very comfy. Took a weeklong trip to DC a week after I bought it, and I didn't feel worn out after driving there...

Power is sneaky strong... around town, plenty was grunt (although I experience more torque steer than I expected), and I always feel I have enough power on the highway. It's also very quiet, so at times, I don't realize I'm at 80-90, and have to back off the pedal.

Drive it. Romp on the gas pedal from a stop light, toss it around some turns. If you're still thinking about air vents after that, then its not a match! No harm no foul.

To me the high rpm power actually feels flat with this 2.5t, but the mileage is great and the low end is AMAZE. Can't have it all I guess.

I'm with JPL, I'm super happy it even has 2nd row vents! IMO cars have too much crap that doesn't matter and not enough of what does matter. IE gizmos vs. driving well.

I'm with JPL, I'm super happy it even has 2nd row vents! IMO cars have too much crap that doesn't matter and not enough of what does matter. IE gizmos vs. driving well.

I've never even had a vehicle with vents in the 2nd row.

I watch a variety of vehicle reviews on YouTube. Just watched one of the $60K+ GMC Sierra Denali and it doesn't have 2nd row vents and it's a BIG cab. Also doesn't have push button start/smart key access. Never mind lots of other stuff the CX-9 has.

My '16 CX9 isn't perfect.
But, I like it a lot. I'd probably get another.
I drove a new Pilot. Dull. New Highlander. Bumpy ride.
The CX9 needs some things,* but I'll keep it.

*Front proximity sensors, more driver leg room, less of a buried-down-in-a-cockpit feel, fix the hole in the power sometimes when I pass a car, effective fog lights, auto-parking would be nice, power folding mirrors, fill the gap between folded 2nd & 3rd rows, stay-clean rear window.

Character is backwards to what you would expect of a 2500cc gasoline turbo engine. Response from idle feels better than response at 3500 rpm..

I'm curious to see a dyno sheet.

Last edited:
The steering wheel feels bad(So smooth and too hard)

This!! I totally agree with this, the steering wheel sucks. It's actually halfway painful to hold on my signature- it makes no sense. My 1965 mustang has a wooden steering wheel that is more comfy.

The steering wheel feels bad(So smooth and too hard)

This!! I totally agree with this, the steering wheel sucks. It's actually halfway painful to hold on my signature- it makes no sense. My 1965 mustang has a wooden steering wheel that is more comfy.

This is a first. Everyone talks about how the wheel is superb. How everyone should take notice on how it is stitched (auto press). It's also the best looking steering wheel on anything under $60K.

Sorry, but this is the most uncomfortable driver seat I have ever been in. Hard cushion, lumbar support is too low not where it's supposed to be in the swell of your back, makes me slouch forward, the middle/upper back is not supported, and I actually have some back pain.

Love everything else..... such a shame

This is a first. Everyone talks about how the wheel is superb. How everyone should take notice on how it is stitched (auto press). It's also the best looking steering wheel on anything under $60K.

It's funny to see all the diversity. I for one think it is a great steering wheel. I used to drive an Audi tt coupe before I had to give it up (KIDS!!) and that is what it reminds me of. A very tight and sporty steering wheel. Even the wife who was always uncomfortable with driving bigger cars ie suv, siblings have pilot, she actually likes driving it to do the weekend costco runs.

If two people in a forum with a very small user base have the same issue, I'd say that it probably exists.

Note that I do think it's a very handsome steering wheel and love the stitching on it.

No issues with the steering wheel or the seat comfort - has it changed since you test drove the vehicle?

I didn't test drive the vehicle, it's our 6th car and was purchased sight unseen as a baby hauler. The wheel is fine for short runs, but the uncomfortable aspect is pretty evident to me on longer drives. The remainder of the drivetrain, exterior, interior is very impressive for a car at this price point.

Back