2017 CX 9 Customer Reviews

Honestly, I feel like I am in a near-mid-size "luxury" SUV vehicle when driving my 17' Sig. I don't feel like I'm in a traditional "Mazda" - yet, I am. Strange that way and proof that if they really want to, Mazda can up its Luxury Game. In fact, I'm convinced that they can do an even more luxurious version of the CX-9. Slightly larger overall, a more contemporary back-end design, no black plastic trim and a higher end interior design. However, I would stay with the Napa Leather Seating - just change the design and offer more color (exterior/interior) options.

At the very same time, I don't really know if I want the the CX-9 more "luxurious" after all. I like the level of "luxury" already and sportiness. So, I would opt for making it even more Sportier. Hell, why not make it compete on the Track with the likes of the BMW X5 M, Volvo XC-90 R-Design (Polestar) or even the Porsche Ceyanne GTS Turbo. I don't see why not. It is roughly the same size - even smaller than the XC-90, yet you can put the R-Design Polestar on the Track any day of the week and twice on Sundays and the Volvo XC-90 is even wider than the BMW X5 M, if you can believe your eyes.

A Track ready version of the CX-9 would send a shock wave down pit row. A V6 Turbo 309hp CX-9 GT1 under $59K. And, a V6 Twin-Turbo 409hp CX-9 GT2 under $69K. Top speed locked down on the GT1 at 139mph and 159mph on the GT2. Yeah, I'd buy the GT2 - in a heart beat. In fact, I'd probably be the first one in line with my Track day fees all paid up for the year in advance.

Notice all those 9s!

Do the people at Mazda pay any attention to this forum? If so, I can start a thread for a new Track Version of the CX-9 GT Series to show interest. Maybe even an entire website showing interest in such a vehicle.

Day dreaming??? :D That will never ever happen with Mazda in a zillion years.

Honestly, I feel like I am in a near-mid-size "luxury" SUV vehicle when driving my 17' Sig. I don't feel like I'm in a traditional "Mazda" - yet, I am. Strange that way and proof that if they really want to, Mazda can up its Luxury Game. In fact, I'm convinced that they can do an even more luxurious version of the CX-9. Slightly larger overall, a more contemporary back-end design, no black plastic trim and a higher end interior design. However, I would stay with the Napa Leather Seating - just change the design and offer more color (exterior/interior) options.

At the very same time, I don't really know if I want the the CX-9 more "luxurious" after all. I like the level of "luxury" already and sportiness. So, I would opt for making it even more Sportier. Hell, why not make it compete on the Track with the likes of the BMW X5 M, Volvo XC-90 R-Design (Polestar) or even the Porsche Ceyanne GTS Turbo. I don't see why not. It is roughly the same size - even smaller than the XC-90, yet you can put the R-Design Polestar on the Track any day of the week and twice on Sundays and the Volvo XC-90 is even wider than the BMW X5 M, if you can believe your eyes.

A Track ready version of the CX-9 would send a shock wave down pit row. A V6 Turbo 309hp CX-9 GT1 under $59K. And, a V6 Twin-Turbo 409hp CX-9 GT2 under $69K. Top speed locked down on the GT1 at 139mph and 159mph on the GT2. Yeah, I'd buy the GT2 - in a heart beat. In fact, I'd probably be the first one in line with my Track day fees all paid up for the year in advance.

Notice all those 9s!

Do the people at Mazda pay any attention to this forum? If so, I can start a thread for a new Track Version of the CX-9 GT Series to show interest. Maybe even an entire website showing interest in such a vehicle.

I totally agree with you on the luxury to sport balance you made with the CX-9, but from that point on your post just goes sour. If Mazda is tapping into the luxury market slowly but surely, how and why are you expecting them to suddenly start chasing 5-600hp performance SUVs? With what money? Mazda does not have the money to produce something like that, and even if they had the money for it they would still be chasing after maximum sales tapping in the crossover and hatch market so they can continue strengthening brand image before even CONSIDERING to make something high performance like that. Then we have the fact that Mazdaspeed is dead as of currently... if they did revive the MS brand they would start off with making a Mazdaspeed 3, probably not even the 6 sedan and sure as hell not the CX-9! That things for mundane conservative drivers. Youre not making any sense.

You clearly mustve forgot that the cayenne and x5m are RWD vehicles with AWD tacked on, meaning that they have far more potential then a FWD based Mazda. Oh and where are they going to source this Turbo v6 if they are devoting all their limited resources to the next generation of critical best sellers (hint, not 500HP SUVs) and have already released their new compression ignition engine? Some people clearly arent too good with marketing/business strategy, and youre clearly one of those people based on what Ive read from you.

Hell, even crazy biker went ahead to post one of his only useful comments on this forum and even he said that your idea makes no sense.

Last edited:
Hey thanks. My posts are much more descriptive. It's ok if you dont find then useful as they speak the facts. [emoji13]

Day dreaming??? :D That will never ever happen with Mazda in a zillion years.

I wonder if Customer demand could change that. Everybody else that matters has one: Volvo, BMW, Audi and Porsche. Mazda, with this new design, went and got themselves in a position where they attracted a buyer like me - someone who did not have Mazda on my finalist list prior to seeing the new CX-9. I'm a performance guy, but I also lean to the practical side as well. The Signature does that for me - yet, the performance guy wants a little more out of it. Seems like if Mazda has started to attract driver's like me with this new design, then they might get pushed to offer a little more performance.

Come on - you have to admit that a GT1 and GT2 version of this thing would be exactly what the doctor ordered.

Come on - let's take 'Zoom Zoom' and 'Driving Matters' and blend them together into "Something Wonderful." (shocked)

I wish Mazda went the performance way but they have decided to play the fuel economy, looks and handling game to be competitive

I totally agree with you on the luxury to sport balance you made with the CX-9, but from that point on your post just goes sour. If Mazda is tapping into the luxury market slowly but surely, how and why are you expecting them to suddenly start chasing 5-600hp performance SUV’s? With what money?

Because "I'm" in the CX-9 market now. And, I come from the C5/Viper SRT world. I can't be the only one from that kind of lineage who finds the CX-9 a fairly well done little SUV. Does the CX-9 replace the XC-90 now? Nope. Does it replace the X5 now? Nope. Does it replace the Cayenne now? Nope. And, it does not have to either. It fills a vacuum with guys and gals like me and it does it very well. But, each time I go into a corner with my Sig, I can't help but wonder how I could dial-up the fun meter on that same S-turn just a bit more. That's why they do it. Guys and gals like me would be first in line to buy one. We will always have a sports car to drive - that's not the point. I like the SUV feel, never owned one before. But, I feel like Mazda is dangling a carrot in front of me. It lets me go into the turn with more confidence than I would in a Honda Pilot. Yet, I only get 4-cylinders and well under 300hp. Still, at such low output, the CX-9 feels inspiring in those turn and I want to be able to take them with a bit more gusto.

Ok, just start with a special edition GT1, first. See how it goes then make some longer range plans. I don't want to start going down the path of trying to turn my Signature into something it is not, by dropping the suspension, playing with its geometry, throwing camber out the window and doing absurd engine mods on an already boosted platform. All Mazda needs to do is Engine and Suspension. I think that would take care of everything and bring about a GT1 that was every bit as fun, but at less than half the cost - just like they do with the current Luxury CX-9 flavor - again, at half the cost or better!

Come on. Live a little. :)

Mazda does not have the money to produce something like that, and even if they had the money for it they would still be chasing after maximum sales tapping in the crossover and hatch market so they can continue strengthening brand image before even CONSIDERING to make something high performance like that.

Traditionally speaking? Yes. But, sometimes the tail does wag the dog. Sure, their overall market share here in the United Sates is tiny when compared to most others. However, one has to ask themselves - why is that? Why is it that Mazda sales in general (especially in the size category of the CX-9) is so low in relative comparison to many of the others. Also, what did the RX-7 do for Mazda as a company here in the United States when it was first introduced. The RX-7 set a tone and it helped to guide sales at Mazda, not hurt them.

Then we have the fact that Mazdaspeed is dead as of currently... if they did revive the MS brand they would start off with making a Mazdaspeed 3, probably not even the 6 sedan and sure as hell not the CX-9! That things for mundane conservative drivers. You’re not making any sense.

Mundane conservative drivers? I also drive a CJ4. Is that considered mundane, too! :) What attracted me to the CX-9 at first was its visual appeal. I kept putting it off precisely because it was a Mazda. But, after I test drove it, I knew that was probably going to be the one and the vast majority of the SUVs I had on tap began to fall like flies. What caused that to happen - was it the mundane driving experience I had on my first test drive? Nope. It was the fact that as an SUV, I was taken by its desire to be driven. That's what sold me along with its IIHS crash safety rating - oh - for the mundane and conservative driver in me.

I think what you might be missing here is the very salient point that the CX-9 is starting to attract a less mundane driver/buyer than you can shake a stick at. I'm one of them - jet type rating and all.

You clearly must’ve forgot that the cayenne and x5m are RWD vehicles with AWD tacked on, meaning that they have far more potential then a FWD based Mazda. Oh and where are they going to source this Turbo v6 if they are devoting all their limited resources to the next generation of critical best sellers (hint, not 500HP SUV’s) and have already released their new compression ignition engine? Some people clearly aren’t too good with marketing/business strategy, and you’re clearly one of those people based on what I’ve read from you.

If you keep my initial targets relatively in place at a "V6 Turbo 309hp CX-9 GT1 under $59K. And, a V6 Twin-Turbo 409hp CX-9 GT2 under $69K" - then you end up in a place where the GT1 and GT2 suddenly become owners of their owners destiny because there won't be anything like them and they will fill the gap left in the wake of much higher costing Performance SUVs that I also mentioned. They chart their own course that way.

Hell, even crazy biker went ahead to post one of his only useful comments on this forum and even he said that your idea makes no sense.

Once upon a time, the light bulb made no sense to those who preferred living in the dark and Nikola Tesla was considered alien to planet earth with no input.

Mazda is now built around the SkyActiv philosophy that doesn't include gas sucking performance. They even said they're done with MazdaSpeed. So it's fun and engaging to drive vehicles but not speed demons. That's fine by me. Really fast cars just get you in trouble.

A normal 2.0T almost makes 250-300 hp. 2.5T skyactiv makes 227. So much untapped power. Should easily make 300+ without turbo lag. Slap on a supercharger like Volvo did.

A normal 2.0T almost makes 250-300 hp. 2.5T skyactiv makes 227. So much untapped power. Should easily make 300+ without turbo lag. Slap on a supercharger like Volvo did.

Mazda made a very deliberate move tuning it the way they did. The mission: make it feel great in the zone that the target market drives in 97% of the time while delivering good fuel mileage. For those few times someone needs to accelerate hard after 80mph, then this setup falls a bit short. This is when you risk a very expensive ticket anyway.

There's already plenty of commentary all over the internet from people thinking this 2.5 will be overtaxed. I think Mazda's approach was also to insure long term durability. Other examples like the 2.0 in the Volvo may actually be of some real concern. Smaller engine, a lot more HP especially with the turbo AND supercharger setup.

Hey thanks. My posts are much more descriptive. It's ok if you dont find then useful as they speak the facts. [emoji13]

no, last time i checked your post were non stop complaining and regret due to the Mazda you bought + ideas that just dont make any sense.

I wish Mazda went the performance way but they have decided to play the fuel economy, looks and handling game to be competitive

like this right here. Mazda doesnt have the brand image or money to fight a performance war right now! it's simple marketing sense and no one here understands. Mazda cant just go from making fun economy cars to sheer performance without gaining reputation as a luxury badge which is what they are exactly in the process of doing right now.

Because "I'm" in the CX-9 market now. And, I come from the C5/Viper SRT world. I can't be the only one from that kind of lineage who finds the CX-9 a fairly well done little SUV. Does the CX-9 replace the XC-90 now? Nope. Does it replace the X5 now? Nope. Does it replace the Cayenne now? Nope. And, it does not have to either. It fills a vacuum with guys and gals like me and it does it very well. But, each time I go into a corner with my Sig, I can't help but wonder how I could dial-up the fun meter on that same S-turn just a bit more. That's why they do it. Guys and gals like me would be first in line to buy one. We will always have a sports car to drive - that's not the point. I like the SUV feel, never owned one before. But, I feel like Mazda is dangling a carrot in front of me. It lets me go into the turn with more confidence than I would in a Honda Pilot. Yet, I only get 4-cylinders and well under 300hp. Still, at such low output, the CX-9 feels inspiring in those turn and I want to be able to take them with a bit more gusto.

Considering that it's still an SUV, I think the way the current suspension is tuned is optimal for daily driving with some spirited stints in the mix and that using an SUV as the basis of performance mods is not the best place to start. regardless, here is a guide I made that helps cover the important and useful things you need in terms of suspension mods.

for engine/power, take a look at the orange virus ECU tune. you can make the engine push more post and extend the operating range of the turbo for a more usable high-end.

Mundane conservative drivers? I also drive a CJ4. Is that considered mundane, too! :) What attracted me to the CX-9 at first was its visual appeal. I kept putting it off precisely because it was a Mazda. But, after I test drove it, I knew that was probably going to be the one and the vast majority of the SUVs I had on tap began to fall like flies. What caused that to happen - was it the mundane driving experience I had on my first test drive? Nope. It was the fact that as an SUV, I was taken by its desire to be driven. That's what sold me along with its IIHS crash safety rating - oh - for the mundane and conservative driver in me.

If you keep my initial targets relatively in place at a "V6 Turbo 309hp CX-9 GT1 under $59K. And, a V6 Twin-Turbo 409hp CX-9 GT2 under $69K" - then you end up in a place where the GT1 and GT2 suddenly become owners of their owners destiny because there won't be anything like them and they will fill the gap left in the wake of much higher costing Performance SUVs that I also mentioned. They chart their own course that way.

I understand what you're saying, but Mazda is far off from doing something like this.

they need money. money is found in their best selling cars (mazda 3 and cx-5) which means these are the vehicles they must improve on. they need to take everything step by step, and once the brand image is there through selling luxury cars then they will begin to focus on performance vehicles, but this won't be anytime soon since mazda must grow as a company from sales of mainstream economy vehicles. once they do get to this point they will be focusing on a mazdaspeed version of the 3/6 hatch and sedan first. you are a long way off from getting your performance SUV if ever.

Mazda made a very deliberate move tuning it the way they did. The mission: make it feel great in the zone that the target market drives in 97% of the time while delivering good fuel mileage. For those few times someone needs to accelerate hard after 80mph, then this setup falls a bit short. This is when you risk a very expensive ticket anyway.

There's already plenty of commentary all over the internet from people thinking this 2.5 will be overtaxed. I think Mazda's approach was also to insure long term durability. Other examples like the 2.0 in the Volvo may actually be of some real concern. Smaller engine, a lot more HP especially with the turbo AND supercharger setup.

Mazda needs money to build their image as a luxury contender before chasing after performance sales, they work on everything incrementally. with skyactiv they focus on a mainstream buyers car like the mazda 3 or CX-5 (where most sales are found) to maximize profits. in the mean-time they do not have the resources to chase into the performance wars.

I don't get why he's the only one (or a just a few) ppl who who don't own a CX-9 but continues to whine about it... You got your Sorrento - so are you on the Sorrento forums and being active, or just here?? Confused as to what you are trying to add here...

How about you list your top 10 luxury/performance SUVs here. certainly the CX-0 must be at, say #29?

I don't get why he's the only one (or a just a few) ppl who who don't own a CX-9 but continues to whine about it... You got your Sorrento - so are you on the Sorrento forums and being active, or just here?? Confused as to what you are trying to add here...

How about you list your top 10 luxury/performance SUVs here. certainly the CX-0 must be at, say #29?

Haha. You are just one of those with a thin skin. This is a review thread. So your expectation is that everyone should write only positive reviews? Keep an open mind.

Haha. You are just one of those with a thin skin. This is a review thread. So your expectation is that everyone should write only positive reviews? Keep an open mind.

Just keep in mind you're putting down what is widely regarded as the best in class model by numerous publications. It's not at all perfect but perhaps everything else is even less perfect.

Last edited:
Thin skinned, boy you seem to know it all eh?

I'm simply asking what your top 10 SUVs are so we can discuss. Obviously CX-9 is not in there, so I'm wondering which ones are. All I hear is you bashing the CX-9... so enlighten us... or are you just a troll?

Back