2017 CX 9 Customer Reviews

karthik1516

:
Mazda CX9 GT 2018, Mazda3 2010
Following customer reviews online, for a while. Mostly, the new CX 9 has got great reviews. Though, I am seeing few not so good reviews. Your take?

*** "Super bells and whistles but cut cost on driver and front passenger seats. Not car comfort for trips over 25 miles!!! 2010 CX-9 had great seats, not so in 2017!"

**** "Nice car but no power ! Very nice interior but the front exterior is not very appealing. The car is roomy but doesn't come with option of V6, therefore no power. The handling and noise are comparable to other SUV in the same class ( pilot, highlander)."

My main beef other than the lack of features is that the car is really small inside compared to outside. Outside proportions are like a Chevy traverse and are largest in its class and interior space is not much more than a cx-5. Check the volume. What is there between all the empty spaces beyond the interior panels???? Also the front hood is so long that it can fit two of those 2.5l engines.

Following customer reviews online, for a while. Mostly, the new CX 9 has got great reviews. Though, I am seeing few not so good reviews. Your take?

*** "Super bells and whistles but cut cost on driver and front passenger seats. Not car comfort for trips over 25 miles!!! 2010 CX-9 had great seats, not so in 2017!"

**** "Nice car but no power ! Very nice interior but the front exterior is not very appealing. The car is roomy but doesn't come with option of V6, therefore no power. The handling and noise are comparable to other SUV in the same class ( pilot, highlander)."

I always take everything with a grain of salt...most of these are based from opinions and granted while some are based from facts like the features of the vehicle, again these are from the reviewers' perspectives. I agree that the CX9 can improve but so do all vehicles out there regardless of brand...it just comes down to manufacturers' focus and priority that differs. To me as long as it ticks most of the boxes that you are looking for (like in my case) then I'm happy with it. There is no perfect vehicle in this world and unfortunately a lot of people complain and nit pick on almost everything even after they've purchased the vehicle which creates buyer's remorse. Of course different story if the car is a lemon or unreliable...

Needed to find a replacement for the wife's 2012 VW Touareg TDI (not so clean diesel). She loved her Treg but not $45k buyback love. Looked at a Land Rover Discovery (we had a series 1 disco) but wife did not like. Tried the Jag F-Pace, the base model starts a $45k but made the mistake of taking the R-Line out for a ride very nice but more like $68k after options. Ended up with the CX-9 signature most of the bells and whistles (no cooled seats) but a nice car, priced right.

***CX-9 has superb seats. Most people will find comfort. Tilt is missing which may bother a small portion of individuals. Will be added for 2018.

****These people haven't driven it, and only looked at HP rating. CX-9 is MORE responsive in most everyday driving situations. 310 lb ft of torque (much more than competition) is what's important unless you're looking for hard acceleration over 75 mph. That extra 30 ponies in the competition is only found at 5000-6000 rpm. That's balls to the wall.

My main beef other than the lack of features is that the car is really small inside compared to outside. Outside proportions are like a Chevy traverse and are largest in its class and interior space is not much more than a cx-5. Check the volume. What is there between all the empty spaces beyond the interior panels???? Also the front hood is so long that it can fit two of those 2.5l engines.

A Traverse is significantly larger even though it's only a few inches longer. The CX-9's length number is deceiving because more of it is spent on the hood including a portruding front grill. This isn't a mistake by Mazda, but rather the reason it's the best looking vehicle in class. It's lower profile also diminishes total volume but again that gives it lowest center of gravity. There's trade offs for every different desire. Not everyone wants an overweight, top heavy, bulbous looking, boring kid hauler.

Online comments aren't posted with any type of methodology to make them reliable on a macro basis. People are more likely to post something negative, too. There's nothing wrong with reading online comments--and they may point out something you wouldn't normally consider, so you can look at it more closely. The seats are a great example--they may seem fine on a 15 minute test drive, so you could ask the salesman for a longer drive.

But you always need to take online comments with a grain (or a shaker) of salt.

And I'd hardly call max of 250 hp "no power".

A Traverse is significantly larger even though it's only a few inches longer. The CX-9's length number is deceiving because more of it is spent on the hood including a portruding front grill. This isn't a mistake by Mazda, but rather the reason it's the best looking vehicle in class. It's lower profile also diminishes total volume but again that gives it lowest center of gravity. There's trade offs for every different desire. Not everyone wants an overweight, top heavy, bulbous looking, boring kid hauler.

And I'd honestly tell anyone that compares the CX-9 to a Traverse because of size to go ahead and get the Traverse--have a blast. The Traverse is at the end (probably beyond) its life cycle, and it not better than any other vehicle in its class in any way.

And I'd honestly tell anyone that compares the CX-9 to a Traverse because of size to go ahead and get the Traverse--have a blast. The Traverse is at the end (probably beyond) its life cycle, and it not better than any other vehicle in its class in any way.

In fairness, the new 2018 model has arrived and is light years ahead of the awful first gen. It's even bigger! Actually looks like a crossover version of a Tahoe. If you need a very large vehicle, it's now worth looking at. If you only have 2 kids though and only want an occasional 3rd row, the CX-9 is the more satisfying ride.

All reviews are subjective. No vehicle is perfect in every aspect. But for my money, the CX-9 is the best in it's class. Sure, I could nit-pick, but I could that on any care.
I've driven over 8,000 in over 3 months, including multiple long haul trips. The seat are just fine; they are more "cockpit" feel than others.
There is plenty of power - you don't need a V-6. Drive it an it's obvious.
And the power is in the low band and useable - makes driving more fun, and safer.
The low center of gravity, but high clearance, really makes for good blend of driving dynamics and functional AWD use.

The only review that matters is when you test drive one for a while and listen to you gut.

All reviews are subjective. No vehicle is perfect in every aspect. But for my money, the CX-9 is the best in it's class. Sure, I could nit-pick, but I could that on any care.
I've driven over 8,000 in over 3 months, including multiple long haul trips. The seat are just fine; they are more "cockpit" feel than others.
There is plenty of power - you don't need a V-6. Drive it an it's obvious.
And the power is in the low band and useable - makes driving more fun, and safer.
The low center of gravity, but high clearance, really makes for good blend of driving dynamics and functional AWD use.

The only review that matters is when you test drive one for a while and listen to you gut.

Amen to that bro!

Seats are confortable for most drivers. I myself have the cx9 GT since june 2016 and after several long trips, I don't have any complains at all. Please notice I had the cx9 2011 as well.

"Nice car but no power" ? I can confirm is just the opossite. This SUV have power like crazy. Not only 250HP is enough, but the 310 lb-ft since low rpm put lot of power sensation when you accelerate. Again, I had the cx9 2011 with v6 and the new 4 line turbo is a lot better!

The handling is not compared with any other SUV on the class. Due to design, skyactiv and low grav center, this SUV is 1st option on driver dinamycs. No one can discuss this.

Noise?. The new cx9 is ranking 1st again on this section. Lot of isolation like never seen before.

I am on my third CX-9, and every series has shown improvement. I am VERY happy with my 2017 GT. Lots of Techy features which I have been waiting for. I never take review like that seriously. Like the others have already said - take it and drive it.
I have no problem with seat comfort. We take multi-hour trips with no discomfort.
And Power - this has NO problem with power. I have used the "Sport" mode a couple times just to try it, but I drive on interstates daily, and have no problem with performance in normal mode.

Its a great vehicle!

New owner (since early June 2017). Coming from a BMX X3 and find it to be a great vehicle. By far the best car for its money. Most of the cars that compare to it are a good 15 to 20 grand more to get the same level of driveaibility and fit/finish. I have a 2 kids and a big dog and we've taken trips every weekend (generally 2 hours to 3.5 hours in the car). Plenty of room for all 4 of us plus the dog and gear for a weekend, and no complaints about the comfort. I find it fine and in my BMW I definitely did not feel as comfortable. Great power. Front exterior is very appealing. Great gauges, great screen (great placement as compared to the ones that are lower and in the dash). Great stereo.

It does lack a few VERY MINOR THINGS like Apple Carplay (supposedly coming), vented front seats and a heated steering wheel. For that look at the Volvo XC90 and expect to drop an additional 20 grand for a truck that really does drive like a truck. The NAV does not have real time traffic but in cars that do have it (like the VOLVO xc90) I've heard universally that it just doesn't work well (Not the fault of VOLVO)....In terms of Nav nothing beats WAZE but until they figure out how to integrate into the native systems you have to use your phone along with the system.

BUT the nav system in terms of layout and usage is great...and the rest of the infotainment is very intuitive and the dial is easy to use. I wish there was a way to jump ahead in the XM stations more quickly but that's a very very minor quibble.

In terms of power: They guy who wrote that it lacks power no earthly idea what he is talking about. This thing has torque for days. Just drive one. It does not drive like a 4 cylinder, but it sure gets great gas mileage (I am averaging over 21 mpg after about 2500 miles).

Last edited:
No 3rd row ac vents is a big bummer for people and dogs.

New CX-9 Owner as of 8/4/17 - we did a lot of research on this car, test drove the Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander as alternatives and went with the CX-9 because of the features and the value. We bought a CPO with 10k for a great price. In reading the reviews, we do agree that the 3rd row is tight. We are transitioning from a mini-van because we don't need all the space. We may use the 3rd row for short trips but don't need it for long hauls. Great car.

Lol. Is that a justification? All 3 row SUVs have them except the CX-9

Lol. Is that a justification? All 3 row SUVs have them except the CX-9

Yes, Mazda should've included it. Just like every car is now expected to have everything. And people wonder what's up with the average vehicle now costing $36K in the US.

Yes we are all aware of the CX-9's missing features. We keep going around in circles talking about it. The CX-9 is a different animal for a different customer. Which is why it is so many things that every competitor isn't.

If you think about it, the CX-9 is more 3-row Porsche, BMW, or Jaguar (of which neither exist) than Kia Sorento. Driving dynamics, materials, ambiance, design inside and out, etc is all the things those higher brands focus on, rather than just pure utilitarianism.

So instead of Mazda using the same formula as every other mainstream brand, they used the formula of the aforementioned brands but in a mainstream price point. While lesser people may want to buy that formula, let's be happy it exists as yet another choice among many.

Back