2017 CX 9 Customer Reviews

Sorry to burst your bubble, but automakers do not read internet forums for customer feedback. By definition, we are a extremely small subset of actual owners - people who have already purchased cars are not their concern (this is true for any car company). They already have your money.

Sorry to burst YOUR bubble, but they absolutely do. In fact, on CadillacForums, they actually are identified as being from GM, and frequently reply to members to try and help resolve issues that they post.

In addition, many times you see posts from people that work at dealers--they clearly have a direct line to corporate if they read frequent complaints.

Right, I'd be surprised if the manufacturers (and dealers even) ignored the forums. I've heard of cases where voided warrantees resulted from content in forum posts. Should never post anything under one's real name on a car forum that could bite you in the ass like that. Would also not do anything that might trigger a libel/slander litigious type battle.

Right, I'd be surprised if the manufacturers (and dealers even) ignored the forums. I've heard of cases where voided warrantees resulted from content in forum posts. Should never post anything under one's real name on a car forum that could bite you in the ass like that. Would also not do anything that might trigger a libel/slander litigious type battle.

THAT I do not believe for a second. Warranties being voided because a mfg rep read something on an owner's forum--THAT's urban legend.

Sorry to burst YOUR bubble, but they absolutely do. In fact, on CadillacForums, they actually are identified as being from GM, and frequently reply to members to try and help resolve issues that they post.

In addition, many times you see posts from people that work at dealers--they clearly have a direct line to corporate if they read frequent complaints.

Maybe Cadillac is the exception, so I will say "most" instead. I have been on multiple auto forums for nearly 20 years and never had a manufacturer respond or contact me regarding design feedback or service support. It's all been fellow enthusiasts (and the rare deal technician).

As far as dealer, they have a directly line to corporate automakers design groups like I have a direct line to the Pope. It does not exist - in many cases, dealers are not as in touch as you would expect. They have zero influence on design feedback and are primarily sales channels or service fixers.

THAT I do not believe for a second. Warranties being voided because a mfg rep read something on an owner's forum--THAT's urban legend.

Agree...this is urban legend....because they are not on the forums (in any official capacity) :)

It is common for track day or drag strip photos/videos to be posted on forums including license plate numbers. Or photos showing modifications to be posted on forums. I know I've had my car, plates and all, posted up by others in photo, on track. Also its pretty standard to have the full legal names with car make model year posted on the track day registration page of the organizers web page. Which is usually linked to from the forums.. you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes. Not saying its likely for the car companies to do it, but I would cover my ass just in case. Its happened..

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/evo-owners-decry-warranty-rejections-car-news

Last edited:
Following customer reviews online, for a while. Mostly, the new CX 9 has got great reviews. Though, I am seeing few not so good reviews. Your take?

*** "Super bells and whistles but cut cost on driver and front passenger seats. Not car comfort for trips over 25 miles!!! 2010 CX-9 had great seats, not so in 2017!"

**** "Nice car but no power ! Very nice interior but the front exterior is not very appealing. The car is roomy but doesn't come with option of V6, therefore no power. The handling and noise are comparable to other SUV in the same class ( pilot, highlander)."

Quite honestly, I think Mazda hit a home run with the new CX-9. So much so, that I decided to buy the Signature over the Volvo XC-90 Inscription and pocket $30K-$40K in the process. Is it the best SUV in the world? No. It will never be that, nor is that the market segment in which it competes. However, I paid $2,000 under MSRP (below $43K total) and in that price range, I don't see anything that can compete with the CX-9 overall.

To the contrary, my Signature seats happen to be some of the most comfortable I've ever had in any vehicle. However, after the initial purchase, I always begin the process of using a good conditioner on all my leather seat vehicles and that makes them feel very comfortable as well. A lot of people completely underestimate the value of a good leather seat conditioner.

The second row seating was the most comfortable in every vehicle that I compared to the CX-9. That includes the Volvo XC-90 Inscription. In fact, I was in disbelief at the fact that I felt more ergonomic comfort in the second row of the CX-9 as opposed to the second row of the XC-90. In fact, I'm still in shock over that. That's not supposed to happen. The XC-90 is supposed to feel more comfortable, but to my rear-end, back and legs - the CX-9 second row feels slightly better.

The third row in the CX-9 hands down killed the competition, IMO. Most third row SUV seats in this price range are a joke. In fact, manufacturers would be better off just removing them and declassifying the vehicle as a "seven row" SUV, given the poor seating conditions in the third row. However, as an adult, I can actually tolerate the third row of the CX-9 Signature where all others were intolerable and even down right cruel at times.

My one complaint however, is the Air Conditioning System. Specifically, the driver's side air vent. There is simply not enough airflow coming through the side vents. People have posted comments about the CX-9 being a heat sink. I believe part of the reason for the warmer cabin has to do with the added sound dampening material. Given that, I think the aircon system itself needed to be a bit more ebullient in its delivery of cool air throughout the cabin. However, given a few minutes, the cabin temperature does level down nicely and I've never had a situation where I was not able to dial the temperature up and/or dial the blower down in order to not over cool the cabin. Still, the airflow coming out the driver's side air vent is not up to par, IMO.

Beyond that - no issues or complaints. Quiet comfortable spirited driving experience that I can do fire trails with on the weekend, when I feel the need. This is definitely not an "Off-Road" SUV, nor was it built for such adventures - so I don't expect it to fulfill that role.

Last edited:
^^ Nice write up, thanks for the comments.

And while it isn't an "off-roader", it actually has the most ground clearance in its crossover segment even though it looks deceivingly low.

It is common for track day or drag strip photos/videos to be posted on forums including license plate numbers. Or photos showing modifications to be posted on forums. I know I've had my car, plates and all, posted up by others in photo, on track. Also its pretty standard to have the full legal names with car make model year posted on the track day registration page of the organizers web page. Which is usually linked to from the forums.. you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes. Not saying its likely for the car companies to do it, but I would cover my ass just in case. Its happened..

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/evo-owners-decry-warranty-rejections-car-news

I'm sure this was based on customer admissions and on-board computer info - not Internet forum.

^^ Nice write up, thanks for the comments.

And while it isn't an "off-roader", it actually has the most ground clearance in its crossover segment even though it looks deceivingly low.

Agree as well. Every day I end up saying, "damn, this is a great vehicle". Love driving it.

Agree and also I will add that in the 29k to 32k range the base CX9 is the same, nothing that offers what it offers.

Not true at all. There are better values to be had at 43k or infact less

nice review from BMWblog - so more from the perspective of luxury car driving:
http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/09/26/first-drive-2017-mazda-cx-9-affordable-bmw-x5-alternative/

Honestly, I feel like I am in a near-mid-size "luxury" SUV vehicle when driving my 17' Sig. I don't feel like I'm in a traditional "Mazda" - yet, I am. Strange that way and proof that if they really want to, Mazda can up its Luxury Game. In fact, I'm convinced that they can do an even more luxurious version of the CX-9. Slightly larger overall, a more contemporary back-end design, no black plastic trim and a higher end interior design. However, I would stay with the Napa Leather Seating - just change the design and offer more color (exterior/interior) options.

At the very same time, I don't really know if I want the the CX-9 more "luxurious" after all. I like the level of "luxury" already and sportiness. So, I would opt for making it even more Sportier. Hell, why not make it compete on the Track with the likes of the BMW X5 M, Volvo XC-90 R-Design (Polestar) or even the Porsche Ceyanne GTS Turbo. I don't see why not. It is roughly the same size - even smaller than the XC-90, yet you can put the R-Design Polestar on the Track any day of the week and twice on Sundays and the Volvo XC-90 is even wider than the BMW X5 M, if you can believe your eyes.

A Track ready version of the CX-9 would send a shock wave down pit row. A V6 Turbo 309hp CX-9 GT1 under $59K. And, a V6 Twin-Turbo 409hp CX-9 GT2 under $69K. Top speed locked down on the GT1 at 139mph and 159mph on the GT2. Yeah, I'd buy the GT2 - in a heart beat. In fact, I'd probably be the first one in line with my Track day fees all paid up for the year in advance.

Notice all those 9s!

Do the people at Mazda pay any attention to this forum? If so, I can start a thread for a new Track Version of the CX-9 GT Series to show interest. Maybe even an entire website showing interest in such a vehicle.

Not true at all. There are better values to be had at 43k or infact less

Probably depends on how "value" is defined. Is there anything better handling than the CX-9 below that price level or that engages and inspires one to want to drive more?

I would agree that things like Apple Carplay, Android Auto, a Video Player, Cooled Seats, Electric Steering Wheel Tilt/Telescope and maybe a Panoramic Roof would improve overall "quality" in the CX-9. I agree that all those things are missing up to 2017. However, at the end of the day, I'd like to be able to have some fun and enjoyment behind the wheel and that requires Versatility in capabilities. Right now, in this price range, I have a hard time getting the same level of versatility in capabilities and in kinetic performance that I do from the CX-9. In this price range is the caveat.

What's more is the fact that there are not many "Next Level" SUVs until you get beyond $30K to $40k more than the Signature. Yes, there is the 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT at $66K. However, its starting price is between the CX-9 Signature and the "Next Level" Volvo XC-90 Inscription. But, again, there are other $66K SUVs out there that don't have the inspiring handling characteristics of the CX-9 and thus, not as fun to drive.

I missed having fun while driving and my new CX-9 Signature brings the fun back.

No matter where I look (and I've looked in a lot of places), I have a really hard time beating the CX-9 at any of its price ranges. Yes, there is the 2017/2018 Audi Q5 hovering in the $45K range (if you buy it right) and it is nice, no doubt. However, I've sat in the second row of the Q5 and felt cramped and less comfortable than the second row of the CX-9 Signature. As far as the third row of the Q5 is concerned, forget about it. It is just not as comfortable as the third row of the CX-9, not even close.

There are other SUVs out there in the same price range and many of them are nice - they really are. But, this just goes to show how well Mazda did its homework on the CX-9 market segment. In fact, this CX-9 development, while not being perfect, is close to a text book example of how an automobile manufacturing should dial-in their offering to match vehicle with driver and price with competition. They offer enough intangibles coupled with tangibles at a price that is simply (for now) unbeatable.

The Acura MDX Advanced? Sure, slightly nicer - but only slightly. However, once again I could not justify the extra $10K - $15K for "only slightly nicer" and the MDX's SH-AWD was on the intrusive side of all my test drives no matter which setting I used. Still, even with the intrusive SH-AWD I liked it - I liked it a lot. Just not at that price level. At that price level, I would be looking at a baseline Volvo XC-90. And, if the competition is between an Acura MDX and a Volvo XC-90, the the game is over before it even begins because the XC-90 will win my purchase about 100% of the time given that comparison.

We can head over to Volkswagen and take a look at the new Atlas. Frankly, I was highly disappointed in the Atlas' seating and overall interior quality. It just felt like what I call Cheap On Purpose. In fact, I test drove the Atlas the same day I test drove my first CX-9 Signature and again was blown away at the fact that Mazda did a better job of handling the interior design of the CX-9 than Volkswagen did with the new Atlas. I walked away from the Atlas shaking my head in confusion - not understanding how the CX-9 Signature could feel so much more connected both inside and out.

At this price level and in this price range, the CX-9 is simply king right now no matter how I reformulate my interpretation of value.

Mazda, clearly did their homework for people who do homework.

Last edited:
The sales charts would be completely different if everyone considered everything and test drove many of the contenders in the respective segments. Imagine the resulting sales if everyone test drove the CX-9. It's not just the best driving, every journalist says it's not even close. Even driving aside, no other interior is even close. The Atlas, Explorer, Santa Fe, and others are plastic jokes while it's said that the CX-9's interior could be attached to a luxury badge. Then there's the designer exterior, also no one else is close. Wonder why it's won just about contest. Sadly, Mazda is off the radar for a large portion of buyers who won't even take a look.

nice review from BMWblog - so more from the perspective of luxury car driving:
http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/09/26/first-drive-2017-mazda-cx-9-affordable-bmw-x5-alternative/

We went from this:
b459f266a872697094d0acfc9e8e83dc.jpg

4.8I Xdrive, M Sport appearance package

To this:
GT AWD
b49d6532418365b7f839967f517cad84.jpg

And absolutely happy with it!

Last edited:
I test drove an Acura MDX and RDX, Volvo XC-60, BMW X-5, Audi Q5, VW Touareg, Ford Edge Sport and Lexus RX-350.

With it's fun euro handling and great features found on more expensive cars the CX-9 slays them all.

Also, there's something comforting in knowing that Mazda is built all in house in Japan... no outsourcing BS. The buck stops with Mazda.

Back