Want To Know More? Ford/Mazda Partnership

GJ-Molestor

Banned
:
2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual
I will start off by saying that this is insider information... you are not going to find this information on the internet.

The partnership was a simple, yet very smart one. Ford has a very strong business/marketing reputation, while Mazda's marketing is lacking, but they are known to have some of the finest chassis and engine designs coming out of Japan.

So how the partnership worked was that Mazda designed engines and a chassis which Ford can also use. they own the NAME and manufacturing rights of engines like the Cyclone and Duratec.

so...

Mazda L engine = Ford duratec 4 cylinders
Mazda K engine (also note Yamaha engine in 1991 Taurus SHO) = Ford Duratec V6
Mazda MZI engine = Ford Cyclone (the Ecoboost 3.5 engine is based off the MZI)
Mazda MZR = Ford Ecoboost 2.3

the 2.3L engine in the mustang Ecoboost and Focus ST is tuned by ford (just like the rest of "Fords" engines) and has its own cylinder head, but the block is Mazda. The engine bay of a standard issue Focus looks identical to a Mazda 3's.

so... obviously ford has been hiding quite a lot in order to protect their reputation, but it all makes perfect sense.

lets not forget the chassis, shall we?

the "Ford" CD3 chassis is what you see in the Mazda 6. the CD4 chassis is essentially an evolution of this chassis. These underpin MANY ford/lincoln vehicles...

Who knows who designed the Mustang and F150 chassis + the Coyote v8 engine, but I am willing to bet it was not Ford.

I will start off by saying that this is insider information... you are not going to find this information on the internet.

The partnership was a simple, yet very smart one. Ford has a very strong business/marketing reputation, while Mazda's marketing is lacking, but they are known to have some of the finest chassis and engine designs coming out of Japan.

So how the partnership worked was that Mazda designed engines and a chassis which Ford can also use. they own the NAME and manufacturing rights of engines like the Cyclone and Duratec.

so...

Mazda L engine = Ford duratec 4 cylinders
Mazda K engine (also note Yamaha engine in 1991 Taurus SHO) = Ford Duratec V6
Mazda MZI engine = Ford Cyclone (the Ecoboost 3.5 engine is based off the MZI)
Mazda MZR = Ford Ecoboost 2.3

the 2.3L engine in the mustang Ecoboost and Focus ST is tuned by ford (just like the rest of "Fords" engines) and has its own cylinder head, but the block is Mazda. The engine bay of a standard issue Focus looks identical to a Mazda 3's.

so... obviously ford has been hiding quite a lot in order to protect their reputation, but it all makes perfect sense.

lets not forget the chassis, shall we?

the "Ford" CD3 chassis is what you see in the Mazda 6. the CD4 chassis is essentially an evolution of this chassis. These underpin MANY ford/lincoln vehicles...

Who knows who designed the Mustang and F150 chassis + the Coyote v8 engine, but I am willing to bet it was not Ford.

Thank you for posting information that circulated the internet 14 years ago. BTW, there is highly inaccurate info in your post. But, don't let that stop you from posting "insider" information.

Back