Tire Pressure overfilled at dealer (I assume)

PVQ

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD w Premium, Soul Red Crystal
I took delivery of my brand new 2017 Mazda CX-5 GT Premium on 4/12/2017. I don't drive it all that much (the odometer just turned 2000 miles) and since I am planning a road trip next weekend, i thought it would be a good idea to check the tire pressure. I was astounded to see the pressure at all four wheels was 45 PSI cold (car hasn't been driven in 4 days and is in an attached garage with an ambient temperature of around 80 degrees this time of year.) I am assuming it was over filled at the dealer since I can't imagine a 10 PSI increase in tire pressure could have occured between May and August even with the ambient temperature change considering these were verifiably "cold" tires.

It was a complete rookie mistake on my part to wait this long to check the tire pressure...so I blame myself, but I thought I would throw this out there for all new owners who may not have done so yet.

Up until this point, I've been very satisfied with the ride on my CX-5, though there were times when I would hit what I percieved to be a small bump in the road, and the feedback seemed to be unexpectedly harsh...obviously THIS is why. I am also wondering if the overpressure tires could be the culprit in the mild steering wheel vibration I have been feeling intermittantly when the MRCC brings the car to a complete stop, which I had posted and is being discussed here:

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...hen-MRCC-Brings-Car-to-a-Full-Stop-in-Traffic

I'm assuming that having the tires set to the correct pressure after having been around 30% too high is going to result in a very different and hopefully even better road feel.

Don't make the mistake I did and assume your vehicle has been properly prepped....Check your tire pressure! For the record I did check the oil within 24 hours of taking possession of the car.

+2 psi on the door seems beneficial. Infact I would look at psi first thing my mpg hits the dump. But summer is keeping this nice and tidy. I wonder if i put in 40 what mpg I would get from my style. Maybe I will break the 35 barrier.

I run +2 as well for air. Dealer had mine at -2 of the door. Better than 45 and 10+ over,but still a wtf moment...

This is an ongoing complaint with Mazda dealers who, when they PDI the vehicle, fail to drop the tires to the recommended pressure from the 50 psi set at the factory to prevent flat-spotting on the boat ride from Japan.

My '17 also had 45 psi in all 4 tires, which I believe is what they ship with.

Yep, and most people pay big time for PDI, which is not a whole lot more then removing plastic and washing the car with a dirty rug... If you get a run to a nearby quick wash instead, you get pampered. Tire pressure? Fluid levels? Lights check? Ya right...

I also suggest you check wheel lug nut torque. My 2014 came with locking lug nuts which were only a tad more tighter than finger tight.

Yep, and most people pay big time for PDI, which is not a whole lot more then removing plastic and washing the car with a dirty rug... If you get a run to a nearby quick wash instead, you get pampered. Tire pressure? Fluid levels? Lights check? Ya right...
You're kidding; they charge for PDI in Canada? I haven't seen a dealer try that here in 30 years!

Better check all the other 101 things that were supposed to have been in the PDI... (sick)

That's why the direct-read tire pressure display, such as the one here in Nissan Rogue, comes in handy to warn drivers under this over-inflated situation or any tire pressure changes due to seasonal temperature change:

2017-nissan-rogue-safety-tire-pressure-monitor-large.jpg

Since 2017 CX-5 added tire pressure sensor in each tire, Mazda should also add this feature otherwise I really don't see the purpose of changing the tire pressure system design other than adding more maintenance cost to CX-5 owners!

OP is lucky to have a GT where 19" OE tires are rated at 51 psi maximum inflation pressure. I can't imagine how dangerous it would be for a Touring or Sport CX-5 owner driving the CX-5 with 45 psi tire pressure for 2,000 miles on 17" OE tires rated at 44 psi maximum inflation pressure! That's why I always urge people getting tires with higher maximum inflation pressure!

>> Since 2017 CX-5 added tire pressure sensor in each tire.

Really? Didn't know that! So a future software update could possibly display the tire pressure on the screen as shown above on the Nissan Rogue?

Generally speaking dealers or their service centres always over inflate tyre pressures sometimes by up to 10 PSI. Nothing new there I'm afraid.

>> Since 2017 CX-5 added tire pressure sensor in each tire.

Really? Didn't know that! So a future software update could possibly display the tire pressure on the screen as shown above on the Nissan Rogue?
This's not going to happen with a simple software update, otherwise Mazda would do it with direct-read TPMS at the first place once they decided to add pressure sensor for each tire. It'll require redesign of the LCD information display to include the graph, and also need to change monochrome LCD display to color display like Nissan Rogue.

This's not going to happen with a simple software update, otherwise Mazda would do it with direct-read TPMS at the first place once they decided to add pressure sensor for each tire. It'll require redesign of the LCD information display to include the graph, and also need to change monochrome LCD display to color display like Nissan Rogue.

If you look at the latest pictures of the instrument cluster on the 2017, you will see that it is no longer monochrome, and can display whatever chart or graph needed.

attachment.php

Last edited:
If you look at the latest pictures of the instrument cluster on the 2017, you will see that it is no longer monochrome, and can display whatever chart or graph needed.
Yep, looks like the info panel in right instrument cluster is now color capable. But still it would be a major software update for Mazda to design a tire pressure graph and fit in the current LCD panel setup. I simply don't see Mazda is willing to do that in the near future.

I just don't understand the change on new TPMS for no reason at this time which only increases the manufacturing and maintenance cost with no other benefit. (uhm)

....I just don't understand the change on new TPMS for no reason at this time which only increases the manufacturing and maintenance cost with no other benefit. (uhm)
So they can upgrade the TPMS and display the PSI for each tire on the dash...? 2018 Added feature?

The CX-9 has the new TPMS system as well, I have yet to verify if the other 2017 Mazda's have the new or the old system.

Last edited:
If the 2017 CX-5 has TPMS sensors, how will the driver know the pressure in each tire?

This is the first time I will own a CX-5 so kindly bear with me regarding explanation.

Back