Electric Cars Are Not the Answer To Air Pollution, Says Top UK Adviser

personally, i am more concerned about the electric batteries filling landwastes once they become toast.

they are not really a good option compared to gasoline, hydrogen is. so I agree with the UK, just for different reasons.

yes brake and tire dust (?) might cause pollution, but if they want to make tires and brakes that do not pollute the enviroment and never wear out, I will be the first one to put them on my car.

There is a taxi / fleet company called Thrive in UK - they utilize a fleet from Chinese Manufacturer BYD - imagine something big like a Minivan (maybe minus third row).
The BYD cars, can charge at night when the rate is low, they can be then used to power appliances etc. during the day :)
Another thing is the concept of afterlife. Most batteries, once they end their use will be going for electricity storage, they wont end up in a land fill.
Cheap electricity storage is a big thing. Many inaccessible places need such batteries.

I once say used sweatshirts being sold in the sub continent which were used from US. So am pretty sure something which has far more value - would also find a second life.
Another aspect is - there are battery recycling centers, they will get the max out of a battery. Rest assured - rarely a battery will end up in a land full.

Hydrogen concept is a failure so far. It will continue to fail and fall further behind. in US - Mirai failed, Honda FCF failed, Hyundai Tucson Hydrogen cell -- Failed as well. You can still not buy a mirai (only lease it) and the Mirai forums is actually a bigger ghost town than Rav4 Electric (Toyota made 2400 Rav4 EVs - real world range is 120 miles with 7 secs 0-60)

Once a topic becomes political, it is almost impossible to learn a fact, let alone a undisputed fact.
Here we have "Are electrics better for the environment then oil burners" on top of "Is the use of oil destroying the planet?" on top of is the planet being destroyed by global warming / climate change?"

I think there is zero chance of getting a straight answer.

BTW Don't forget to consider the terrible / wonderful conditions of the small children / grown men, mining the material for batteries, vs the terrible / wonderful conditions of the small children / grown men bringing us gas and oil.

Brake... and tire dust? Seriously? I'm going to bet that if every car on earth became electric overnight... we would see smoke over the Hollywood sign... from brake particles....

I've seen it in person, but here's a pic:

url

url

Brake... and tire dust? Seriously? I'm going to bet that if every car on earth became electric overnight... we would see smoke over the Hollywood sign... from brake particles....

I've seen it in person, but here's a pic:

The electric cars use the motor(s) as generators to do most of there braking. The actual brakes get very little use.

Back