Mazda \ Toyota building a US plant

They could probably do a VR6 of sorts that would fit their large exhaust and transverse mount. I think that exhaust would be challenging for longitudinal packaging.

They would never build an all-new engine from scratch, so the 3.7 straight 6 would be the only option and man... I really wish they would build something like that.

I'm sure they can compromise and fit a normal sized exhaust manifold in there, but your idea with the transverse layout sounds optimal.

Or 3.1 I5 and go up to 14:1 premium required because performance model might also work. Should be easier to fit than a I6.

I would think they could get to roughly 250 hp and tq which would be about right competing with the GTI, ST, Si and etc.

So Mazda is building the Corolla. A rebadged 3?

If true...

Mazda gets access to Toyota electric tech.

Toyota eliminates a few CVTs from its lineup.

Seems a reasonable aggreement to me :)

Then I must be part of the top tier management.

Joke only sir!!!!

I found it in a public domain so it must be for public consumption.

Very surprising as that looks to be an official agreement. Might have to be releases as these are public companies but doubt it.

"Toyota and Mazda expect that the joint venture will produce cross-over models that Mazda will newly introduce to the North American market, as well as Toyota’s Corolla for the North American market."

Toyota will make the corolla there and Mazda will make new cross-overs there.

I believe the Skyactiv X HCCI engine will operate efficiently in a broader range. I think the CVT won’t be needed and they’re sticking with the 6 speed.

Back