Mazda \ Toyota building a US plant

"Toyota will pay about $450 million for a 5% stake in Mazda as part of the deal, while Mazda will buy a stake of the same value in Toyota." Where are you getting .25%?

I didn't say ONLY electric vehicles. As well as building US Crossovers: "the new factory in the U.S., the automakers said they would collaborate on safety and technology for electric vehicles."

Eh...American built Mazda?

I guess since it's actually Mazda, and not Ford, that it could be ok? I don't know.

"Toyota will pay about $450 million for a 5% stake in Mazda as part of the deal, while Mazda will buy a stake of the same value in Toyota." Where are you getting .25%?

I think while $450 million is a 5% stake in Mazda, $450 million does not equal or translate to 5% of Toyota who is much bigger. But I didn't actually do the math.

Last edited:

I guess since it's actually Mazda, and not Ford, that it could be ok? I don't know.

I think while $450 million is a 5% stake in Mazda, $450 million does not equal or translate to 5% of Toyota who is much bigger. But I didn't actually do the math.

I'm pretty sure my 2005 Mazda 6 was built in America. The only trouble free Mazda I've ever owned. Go figure.

Last edited:

Mazda is a roughly $8 billion dollar company and Toyota is a roughly $172 billion dollar company. So yeah, roughly a .25% stake in Toyota.

Mazda would need to invest over $8 billion to get a 5% stake in Toyota.

Last edited:
"Will buy a stake of the same value" means to me :the stake is 5%? Not will spend the same amount of money for.... No? Well, whatever it means... it's kind of cool. :F

This is how Mazda will get their hybrid and electric technology.

I think Toyota has already made use of their partnership. The new 2.5 Toyota engine is coming out with a 13:1 compression ratio, which sounds like an updated 2.5 SkyActiv engine to me.

It is cool. Hope the plant is built in Texas! Maybe near their new US headquarters in Plano.

It is cool. Hope the plant is built in Texas! Maybe near their new US headquarters in Plano.
That would be cool. I have yet to visit the new Toyota HQ. Will probably drop by after cars and coffee tomorrow.

I think Toyota has already made use of their partnership. The new 2.5 Toyota engine is coming out with a 13:1 compression ratio, which sounds like an updated 2.5 SkyActiv engine to me.
So has Mazda... They have been selling HYBRID MAZDAS with Toyota technology for a few years (since 2013).... Just only in Japan market...

Last edited:

Just comes to show how much confidence Yota has in Mazda Engines/transmissions.

I didn't say ONLY electric vehicles. As well as building US Crossovers: "the new factory in the U.S., the automakers said they would collaborate on safety and technology for electric vehicles."

From USA Today
As part of the deal announced Friday, Toyota is acquiring 5% of Mazda, while Mazda is acquiring 0.25% of Toyota.

There was already some collaboration - Scion iA, now Toyota Yaris iA was and is still made by Mazda in Mexico.
Good going MZD. Now as you promised let us see how much Murica' wants Diesels.

It's a good thing I think. Toyota knows their cars aren't exciting so they need some help from Mazda. And this makes Mazda a lot more financially secure going forward.

Considering that Toyota's profit is roughly the same as Mazda's total revenue I can understand the confusion.

Probably not a good sign for AA/CarPlay though. You should read on the s*** that Toyota is doing with the new Camry. The closer they get the worser that will get.

Here is another source. http://www.businessinsider.com/toyota-mazda-joint-us-plant-2017-8
Some quotes
Toyota will also acquire 31,928,500 shares of common stock newly issued by Mazda through a third-party allotment, which will amount to a 5.05 percent stake in Mazda, valued at 50 billion yen ($455 million).

Mazda, which makes the Miata roadster, will acquire 50 billion yen worth of Toyota shares, the equivalent of a 0.25 percent stake. The investment deal is expected to be final by October, the companies said.

"The new presidential administration has made it clear investments in the U.S. are a top priority, and this plant may be another nod to that mindset," Anand said.

I'm pretty sure my 2005 Mazda 6 was built in America. The only trouble free Mazda I've ever owned. Go figure.

It was probably built in a Ford plant. Back then the 6 shared a lot with the Ford Fusion, I think.

I wonder where it will go - Texas seems like a good contender. Toyota already has a truck plant here and Mazda has a plant in Mexico. Mazda also sells quite a lot of vehicles in Texas...

My exact thoughts when i read about the toyota 2.5 They were saying 40 mpg and 205 hp. Sounds like skyactive 2 to me.

Back