2017 CX-9 Signature, Vibration on Highway when 65 mph+

JoeyWeiWei

:
2017 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Greeting.

We bought our 17 CX-9 Signature last Sat. Drove 4 times and found vibration everytime we drove on highway over 65 mph. We cross checked by using my 2013 CX-5 to drive the same route, smooth.

I have contacted the dealer and will send the car back next Thursday to check, hopefully they can figure out the reason. Not very big vibration, but you can feel if the whole car keep vibrating, even feel more when I release the gas but not break yet.

I have read some posts and comments, hopefully dealer can fix it. Kinda dissapointing since brand new, drove from dearler only 11 miles, no just reach 100 miles.

Any suggestion will be helpful, thank you so much:)

Joe

There are several possibilities. Wheel balance. Tire eccentricity (they only look round). Tire road force variation (the tire is stiff in one area and not so stiff in another). Bent wheel. It should be easy for your dealership to find and fix the problem. Can you tell which corner of the car the vibration comes from? That'll help.

Hi PT,

Thanks for replying, actually I cannot tell which corner, it feels like the whole thing does. I didn't test drive on high way, I guess that was because my CX-5 2013 is always good and I am too trust Mazda. When I drive on local, normally around 40 to 50 mph, it runs great.
Oh, I found another issue that my parking sensor never beep, even I test it, hopefully they can check that out as well.

Thanks again!

Joey

Wheel balance for sure. Seems this is magic MPH number where the issue shows itself.

They have high speed wheel balance machines with load now.

A mechanism comes down and puts pressure on the tires during high speed rotation (like a piece of road).

Thank you Jpjr50, I will send it back next Thursday, whenMazda field engineer will be there each week. Hopefully it can solve the problem.

Thank you so much:)

Update: Dealer's engineer tested my vehicle, but they said they wasn't able to identify the vibration. this happened last Saturday. I would drive more to feel it and update with you. Really hope the truth is as they said, but I will test for sure. Thank you!

Joey

I had the same issue, starting in the high 60's and most pronounced at 75, to the point the passenger side seat back when empty has a slight but visible and audible vibration.
Dealer rotated and balanced tires, problem went away (or was less noticeable)...for about a week. It's back now and severity at it's peak is at different speeds than the previous vibration.
That would seem to point to tire/wheel issue.

I'm going to have dealer check it again this month when I take it for oil change.

It could be anything that rotates, including the front axles with their CV joints.

Dealers do not have engineers. They have salesmen called service writers, and they have mechanics, now called technicians, who have mixed levels of training and understanding. The service writers get paid by the services they sell, and the techs get paid by the services they perform. Some of these service writers are pretty good, and some don't know a lot. If you are unsatisfied with the response of either the service writer or the technician, ask to speak with the manager of the service department, the actual service manager. As always, demand the service you need in a business-courteous manner. Be firm and business-like.

For something like this vibration, I'd make arrangements ahead of time to take a dealership service employee on a high speed drive so they get to feel the vibration. Please let us all know what they find when they fix it.

OP - I would never drop off the car and let them "replicate" the issue. For all you know, they might have just drove the car around the block and close out the ticket. Always request to have a tech to ride along for such issue so that you can point it out to them.

Hi everybody,

I can see that some owners have the same vibration problems on their CX9. I bought my Signature July 5, 2017 and vibrations started at 6000 Km. My car is with dealer presently and they are looking to solve the issue. Because this seems to be a somewhat already known issue, what were the corrections done on your car? Dealer is sending technical questions to Mazda Canada and is waiting for solutions. Meanwhile, they removed the drive shaft, but there are still vibrations. Of course tires were checked and balanced.
There were 20053 (2017 CX9) sold in USA and 3316 (2017 CX9) sold in Canada year to date according to Good Car Bad Car site. I wonder how many are experiencing the issue!
I also suffered two times a black screen issue even though the firmware was updated last week. Dealer told me this was a known problem with Mazda and they are waiting on another update to correct the situation permanently.

Can some of you reply or send me more info if your dealer solved these issues and how?

Best regards

I have the same issue with my 2018, I test drove a different vehicle than the one I purchased, so I didn't notice the vibration until I got it on the highway for the first time. I brought it back to the dealer and they stated that 3 out of 4 tires were out of balance, after re-balancing I figured the problem would be solved but it was not. It was improved, but anything over 60 mph produced a vibration. The car is currently back at the dealer for a road force balancing today, the dealer said that if that doesn't fix it they aren't sure what to do.

I have the same issue with my 2018, I test drove a different vehicle than the one I purchased, so I didn't notice the vibration until I got it on the highway for the first time. I brought it back to the dealer and they stated that 3 out of 4 tires were out of balance, after re-balancing I figured the problem would be solved but it was not. It was improved, but anything over 60 mph produced a vibration. The car is currently back at the dealer for a road force balancing today, the dealer said that if that doesn't fix it they aren't sure what to do.

Update: Road force balancing showed that two tires were unable to be properly balanced, Falken tires warranted all four tires, but on my drive home from the dealership the shake was unchanged. I can feel it through the steering wheel, the drivers seat, and the passenger's seat visibly shakes at speeds above 60 mph. Needless to say I'm not happy.

Hmmmm. I might need to observe my 2018. I only have logged 2200 on it. Since the vibrations on yours came out at 6000. he original poster joeyweiwei had the vibrations on his from the start.

If you have the vibrations, video it. Do not accept the excuse from the dealership that they could not replicate the problem. Show them the video of the problem. Give them all the details of when, where, what occurred when your problem happened.

Be ready to file a Lemon Law complaint according to the law in your state. That really gets the attention of the dealership and of Mazda USA.

Greeting.

We bought our 17 CX-9 Signature last Sat. Drove 4 times and found vibration everytime we drove on highway over 65 mph. We cross checked by using my 2013 CX-5 to drive the same route, smooth.

I have contacted the dealer and will send the car back next Thursday to check, hopefully they can figure out the reason. Not very big vibration, but you can feel if the whole car keep vibrating, even feel more when I release the gas but not break yet.

I have read some posts and comments, hopefully dealer can fix it. Kinda dissapointing since brand new, drove from dearler only 11 miles, no just reach 100 miles.

Joe

How did this turn out Joe?

So you have hwy vibration on a brand new CX-9. You were "kinda" dissapointed? So not completely dissapointed? Good thing. I'da been pissed.

Being that this was posted in early August and it's now December, is it resolved? If so, how was it resolved and who at which dealership figured out the fix?

Do you have video of the issue? Please show it.

I did a short search on Youtube for
'16 - '18 CX-9 vibration issues and couldn't find anything. Plenty of '08 - '11 stuff posted.

You mentioned in another post your parking sensor wouldn't work as well...
Any word on that?

Thanks for keeping me informed.

Last edited:
Greeting.

Joe

This and a couple other complaints about highway vibration with no follow up posts? BS stories perhaps?

Mazda dealer replaced my winter steel wheels with alloy wheels and now the vibrations have disappeared. I will test furthermore as I have only 7600 Km on my CX9 2017 and I noticed the problem at 6000 Km. I’ll keep you posted.

Still have the blank screen problem on the infotainment system though!

Never had these issues on my CX9 2007...

Hi,

I just purchased 2018 mazda CX 9 sport and I have been driving it for few days now. I can feel the vibration when I drive over 65 mph speed. I have only driven 200 miles.

Back