2017 CX-9 Signature, Vibration on Highway when 65 mph+

Hi,

I just purchased 2018 mazda CX 9 sport and I have been driving it for few days now. I can feel the vibration when I drive over 65 mph speed. I have only driven 200 miles.

I have just under 1k miles on mine and haven't done much interstate driving.

When I do take the interstate, at times, I have noticed slight vibration above 65 mph at the onset. It's very slight and seems to fade away in time.

When I feel the vibration, I make a mental note of the speed. Later on, I'll bring it up to that speed to see if it's still there. It fades.

I have Falken tires btw.

I think I may have the same issue on my 2018 Signature. I just took delivery on Friday and its only got about 300 kms on it. I started a new job today, and on my way home I took the car past 100km/hr for the first time and felt a very slight vibration. I don't know if this is due to the different road I'm taking or if it's a problem similar to the OP's, but it's something I will be monitoring. I'll report back in a week or two. It could very well just be in my head.

I have Bridgestone Ecopia tires on my CX-9.

I think I may have the same issue on my 2018 Signature. I just took delivery on Friday and its only got about 300 kms on it. I started a new job today, and on my way home I took the car past 100km/hr for the first time and felt a very slight vibration. I don't know if this is due to the different road I'm taking or if it's a problem similar to the OP's, but it's something I will be monitoring. I'll report back in a week or two. It could very well just be in my head.

I have Bridgestone Ecopia tires on my CX-9.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I've now got just over 1k miles on my 2018 Signature.

The vibration is very slight, almost like a road surface issue. It seems to occur between 55 - 70 mph.
(88-112 kph) It never happens over the entire 15 mph span... It'll pinpoint at one certain speed within the range.

I need to take the car on a longer interstate trip to really see if this is in my head or not. I drive in the city 80% of the time and only take short freeway rides.

As I stated in an earlier post, the issue seems to fade in a short time but it's hard to tell by then because the road surface has changed.

I know this is weird but when going at the same speeds on stretches of secondary roads, I don't seem to have the issue or don't notice it! (scratching head...) 🤔

Last edited:
I know exactly what you're talking about. I've now got just over 1k miles on my 2018 Signature.

The vibration is very slight, almost like a road surface issue. It seems to occur between 55 - 70 mph.
(88-112 kph) It never happens over the entire 15 mph span... It'll pinpoint at one certain speed within the range.

I need to take the car on a longer interstate trip to really see if this is in my head or not. I drive in the city 80% of the time and only take short freeway rides.

As I stated in an earlier post, the issue seems to fade in a short time but it's hard to tell by then because the road surface has changed.

I know this is weird but when going at the same speeds on stretches of secondary roads, I don't seem to have the issue or don't notice it! (scratching head...) 🤔

Odd indeed..

What tires do you have on your CX-9?

Odd indeed..

What tires do you have on your CX-9?

Falkens.

I took the CX-9 on the interstate today, no vibration. I'm thinking what this may be is a pavement issue. Nashville gets a massive amount of semi truck traffic. As you know, this is great for road surfaces, NOT.

Last edited:
Falkens.

I took the CX-9 on the interstate today, no vibration. I'm thinking what this may be is a pavement issue. Nashville gets a massive amount of semi truck traffic. As you know, this is great for road surfaces, NOT.

That's good to hear from your end. Hopefully it's the same for me.

Have people been experiencing the "vibration" more frequently in the cold weather, especially after sitting overnight? I think this was/is happening with my car too but really only when it's below ~40 degrees F and it seems to go away after a few minutes of driving at higher speeds (above 50 or 60 mph).

Could it be that the tires are "flat-spotting" after sitting overnight? It's the only thing I can think of where the vibration would go away after several minutes of driving, thus giving the tires a chance to warm up.

Have people been experiencing the "vibration" more frequently in the cold weather, especially after sitting overnight? I think this was/is happening with my car too but really only when it's below ~40 degrees F and it seems to go away after a few minutes of driving at higher speeds (above 50 or 60 mph).

Could it be that the tires are "flat-spotting" after sitting overnight? It's the only thing I can think of where the vibration would go away after several minutes of driving, thus giving the tires a chance to warm up.

That could be a possibility. In my case, I think the "vibration" I described earlier was all in my head, as I haven't felt it since. Weather has been -25C to -29C the past few days and I haven't noticed any vibrations.

.. Hmm, I should probably be plugging in my block heater, lol

Been dealing with minus 25- minus 30 deg C in our area as of late and no vibration issues experienced so far...

When I test drove a 2017 Grand Touring I noticed a slight vibration, mainly in the steering wheel, at highway speed. It felt a bit like a wheel balance issue. I ultimately bought a different 2017 GT, and I don't recall noticing any vibration . . . at least not at first. I thought I might have noticed some slight vibration after about 5 or 6 days, but then my winter wheels/tires arrived, and I had those swapped out by the dealer before I got a chance to really drill down on the issue.

Upon leaving the dealership, I took the GT out onto the freeway to get home, and there was some severe vibration/shuddering. Consequently, I had the winter wheels balanced at a tire-specific shop. But today I went back out onto the freeway, and I still got a noticeable - albeit far less - amount of vibration/shuddering on the freeway. I'd note that last night we got several inches of cold, powdery snow, and while driving today much of the slush/snow clumped up onto and into the wheels, so it very well may be that the accumulated slush/snow/ice is what's throwing off the balance.

Anyway, I just figured I'd share my experience with the vibration issue. Obviously I'll keep an eye on the issue and provide updates as warranted. And, of course, I'd appreciate anyone else's thoughts.

Just checking in. Seems my "vibration issue" was just me unfamiliar with the new road I was taking home. I've driven it every day since then and haven't noticed anything. I'll also note that I checked my tire pressure a couple of days ago and found that my tires were overinflated. Most were just over 40 PSI, and one was at least 45 PSI. I've lowered them all to about 37 PSI and they perform much better in the snow/slush.

Falkens.

I've noticed the exact same thing. This vehicle is apparently very sensitive to road surface waves created by (as you say) heavy semi vehicles. There is a quarter mile stretch extending from the freeway entrance headed south where I live that causes noticeable vibration as well. It all smooths out after that segment. The very first time it happened was the day after I brought it home, I thought about taking it straight back to the dealer - but had a hunch about semi traffic that turned out to be right. These posts also help to confirm.

I should post the service history for my 2014 CX9, 80,000 km and i think everything in the front end has been replaced. No mystery vibration though that hasnt been solved by bearings, ball joints, rotors (3 changes so far), strut mounts, struts, rim. In my experience with other vehicles, after balancing, or bad tires or alignment leading to outside feathering, its the quality of trueness of the wheel. Warped wheels you feel it right in the steering wheel, and it comes on at a certain speed and doesnt change, whereas a balance issue you can occasionally go faster and it settles down. Also, I’ve never had a vehicle that backs out lugs l8ke this one, torque, retorque, and torque again. On that note...over torque or uneven can warp cheap alloys.

99% certain it's a bent front rim. have you or anyone else driving the car drove over/hit a curb?

if it is more noticeable when you let go of the throttle, that pretty much confirms it's something in the front.

Just checking in. Seems my "vibration issue" was just me unfamiliar with the new road I was taking home. I've driven it every day since then and haven't noticed anything. I'll also note that I checked my tire pressure a couple of days ago and found that my tires were overinflated. Most were just over 40 PSI, and one was at least 45 PSI. I've lowered them all to about 37 PSI and they perform much better in the snow/slush.

This is so frustrating with Mazda dealerships.
Checking tire pressures on delivery is part of the prep process.
We on this forum seem to be aware of the fact that Mazda ships their vehicles with the tires over-inflated (sometimes as high as 60psi or more), but yet I keep hearing that customers are taking delivery of their new vehicles where the techs have not bothered to lower the tire pressures to the required levels.
Either they're poorly trained, or crazy lazy.
Mazda needs to up their game in this department.
As for you specifically, I'd file a complaint with your dealer about the over-inflated tires, and get some kind of commitment from the Service Management group that all of their techs are properly trained on this matter.
It is inexcusable.

Buzz, I'm afraid that would be a waste of time. Expect the worse. Always be sure your problem is listed on the work order, not just the service writer's orders to the tech. If they don't fix what you insisted be listed on the work order, don't pay. Examine everything.* You get what you inspect, not what you expect.

*The dealer we bought our CX9 from offers one free oil change after the purchase. OK. My wife made the appointment, took it in, checked in with the service writer, sat and waited for an hour, got called, given the key fob, and drove home. They gave her no paperwork and didn't wash it, both unusual. Me, I'm curious. I checked the dip stick. The oil was a half-quart low and dirty. I called the service department and happened to talk with the same service writer. He was sure they did everything just right. I asked him to check the computer records...were oil and filter charged to this job? Uh, no. He got really quiet. Then he immediately promised a free oil change any time I wanted to bring it in. Forget about it! I did the oil change myself. I'll only go back to that outfit to buy oil filters.

18 CX9 vibration

I have the vibration at 65+ on the freeway also. Took it back to the dealer where I bought it and they claim its flat spots on the wheels, drive it a little longer they advised to see if it goes away. They also claimed to have balanced the tires and I think they lied to me. I had alot of break dust on the tires and I saw no visible marks where anyone handled the tires.

Going to try a different dealer this week and ask again to check them. This much for a car and I should not have this sort of issue. I can't feel it in the steering wheel, but if the sun visor is down on the driver side that bugger is shaking constantly. It also causes the driver side view mirror to vibrate. Hoping its just a wheel thing and this doesn't turn into alot of back and forth, regretting this purchase already.

Vibration can have several causes other than wheel balance. If the wheels are bent or out of round, they'll vibrate. If the tires are out of round or have road force variations,* they'll vibrate. Demand that the vibration be corrected. Do not demand re-balancing--it might be from other causes.

*Road force variation is when a tire is stiffer on one side than the other. There are Road Force balancers made by Hunter and others. See: https://youtu.be/4OvcOX74wh0

Thanks PT. Should be an interesting day. When I bought my car, I emailed 5 dealers, the local one never responded. Now I just dropped it off at the local dealer, who seemed to have an issue when they found out I did not buy it with them, which is an interesting reaction since I would use them for all my service needs. (This could be changing) . Service guy went on to tell me that they may need to charge me 130$ for this visit as he can't just have a tech trying to find something to fix. Interesting take after dropping almost 40 grand on a car. I have the mazda survey sitting in my inbox and will take that after I get the car back from the dealer. He explained if the vibration is from a bent rim or some other defect then he would need to charge me. Hoping they find something so its as smooth over 65 as it is at 50. Should have kept my toyota :-(

Thanks PT. Should be an interesting day. When I bought my car, I emailed 5 dealers, the local one never responded. Now I just dropped it off at the local dealer, who seemed to have an issue when they found out I did not buy it with them, which is an interesting reaction since I would use them for all my service needs. (This could be changing) . Service guy went on to tell me that they may need to charge me 130$ for this visit as he can't just have a tech trying to find something to fix. Interesting take after dropping almost 40 grand on a car. I have the mazda survey sitting in my inbox and will take that after I get the car back from the dealer. He explained if the vibration is from a bent rim or some other defect then he would need to charge me. Hoping they find something so its as smooth over 65 as it is at 50. Should have kept my toyota :-(

One dealer experience is not indicative of all Mazda dealers. Many are privately owned, and any concerns that you feel are not being met, can be escalated to Mazda Corporate. Your local dealer is just being petty because you didn't buy from them (I would probably have the same issue with one of the local dealers here).

Back