Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2017 CX-9 Signature, Vibration on Highway when 65 mph+

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzman12 View Post
    Sounds like Mazda has an issue with their OEM tires, and maybe rims.
    Almost all car manufacturers install cheap tires on their new cars. It's more economical that way.
    When you sell hundreds of thousands of cars, tire costs are a huge expense. The cheaper the better....for them.

I'd be curious to see just how old these tires that are on the new CX-9's really are.
    They could have been lying around in a warehouse for years before they were installed.
    The tires should have a date stamp, or a best-before-date stamp on them. Maybe some of you can check?
    I suspect all these vibration issues can be narrowed down to garbage OEM tires.

In my case, I have the 19" Dunlops on my 2017 Mazda 6, and they transmit every tiny little nuance in the road. They are horrible. Cheap crap.
    I highly doubt that Mazda (or any car company) would sell cars with expired tires. Used dealerships, sure. But buying brand new from a dealer? Doubt it.

I'll check mine tomorrow.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016

Look at the string of letters & numbers in the DOT code. The date of manufacture is the last four digits of the DOT code. The first two digits are the week of manufacture, and the last two digits are the year. Our tires were not " lying around in a warehouse for years;" The Falken Ziex CT50 A/S is not an old design. I think it was designed for our CX-9s, perhaps to get Sumitomo (Falken) started as an OE tire source. I'm happy with the ones on our car. They are OE for Chrysler Pacifica as well as CX-9.

Here is some good information about OE tires from a retired tire manufacturing engineer:
    http://www.barrystiretech.com/oetires.html
    Last edited by PTguy; 04-15-2018 at 07:10 PM.

Registered Member

2018 GT

I took mine back to the local dealer after calling Mazda Customer Care to get the local dealer to road force the tires. They stated one was out of balance slightly and they adjusted it. It was the front driver side which would make sense. I can't say I feel any difference and the more I drive the care the more I wondered if this very mild vibration was normal. I went back to the dealer I bought the car from and drove a GT and a Sport back to back. Have to see the GT with the non Falkens belt about the same, didn't have a long test loop to drive it on. However, driving the sport with 18" rims made me realize while the 20's give you a more sporty feel, I actually like the 18s better for my driving tastes, 90% highway. I ordered my 18" set up tonight from tirerack.com and then will need to decide what to do with the 20's with the Falkens that have 2200 miles on them. Two wheels have two small nicks, guessing from a rock or something, so have to see what folks are selling them for on here for those that want to upgrade or just stack them up in my garage for a while.

I do like the visual look of the 20's better than the 18's, however my driving preference out weighs my preference for looks.

2014 MAZDA5 Grand Touring / 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan

FYI. Some MY2018 Mazda CX-9s with 20" wheels/tires have Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus tires. I have seen both the Falkens and Bridgestones on MY2018 vehicles.

Registered Member

2018 GT

Did anyone else come up with a fix? New tires, rims and 8000 miles and still shakes above 65 mph grrr!

Registered Member

Mazda CX 9

Quote Originally Posted by cawcx9 View Post
    Did anyone else come up with a fix? New tires, rims and 8000 miles and still shakes above 65 mph grrr!
    You got new rims and tires and it still shakes ? Sounds like drive train issue... take it back to Mazda.

Registered Member

2018 GT

Yup, same behavior. Went from 20" to 18"s and like my new set up, a little smoother but same issue. If i get the car above 75mph it becomes more noticable. Getting to 80 or 85 it really started vibrating. Will be taking videos of my phone(mounted to windshield) vibrating and also the mirror to post to youtube. On the phone now to take this to another dealer and opening a different ticket with Mazda to look into the issue. Something in the drivetrain has to be out of spec, CV joint or something. I found quite a few folks in this thread talking about it but have yet to see anyone post that they fixed it.... I will update as this progresses. Love the car otherwise so not giving up yet.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016

My car with Falken 20" runs smooth at all speeds.

caw...can you make a video that shows the shake and the speed? Show this to the service advisor. Ask if they can spin the wheel on the car, not just on the balancing machine. If they can't spin it on the car, ask for them to take it to a shop that can do it (or they can authorize you to take it there at their expense). It isn't tire balance or road force or a bad wheel, then it has to be in the car. They can find it if they keep looking. They won't keep looking unless you make them do so. Can you get case opened with Mazda North America, 800-222-5500?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234