2.0 Skyactiv oil capacity - quick question

stmike1

:
2012 Mazda 3, Skyactiv hatchback, 6MT
Put this question in the neurotic category but here goes:

I just did an oil change on my 2012 Skyactiv 3. The manual calls for 4.6 qts of oil, which is what I put in, and the dip stick shows dead center between the bottom and top holes when I go to measure the oil. Seems like not an issue but......

I swear it was 3/4 of the way to the top hole after dealer fills, and a guy on Youtube said to put a full 5 qts in....

Do I go with the factory 4.6 and dead center on the dip stick or just put 5 qts. in?

Thanks!!

A lot of times the dipstick will say on it at what temp that it should be between those lines.

At what temp is the motor when you are checking? Is it hot or is it cold?

Some specs like the 4.6qts you mention, are for the OIL CHANGE only, and an additional amount is needed if you are changing the filter also.

Thanks. The '12 3's dipstick is blank and just has a circle at the top and bottom. The oil is dead center when the motor is cold.

And yeah I believe it said use 4.6 qt if the filter is changed, which I did change so went with 4.6.

Thanks. The '12 3's dipstick is blank and just has a circle at the top and bottom. The oil is dead center when the motor is cold.

And yeah I believe it said use 4.6 qt if the filter is changed, which I did change so went with 4.6.

Go ahead and try checking it ~10 minutes after you shut it down from a normal operating temp.

Go with the factory (owner's manual). Some people who take their cars to the track will add oil, since that type of driving tends to allow more oil to get past the piston rings. But for the average street driver, the manual's specification is typically perfect.

Go with the factory (owner's manual). Some people who take their cars to the track will add oil, since that type of driving tends to allow more oil to get past the piston rings. But for the average street driver, the manual's specification is typically perfect.

track users add more oil then what is specified to prevent oil starvation during high RPM while cornering aggressively. it will also help keep the engine slightly cooler and dilute contaminants that get into the oil easier (BMW uses a similar approach by using more oil then other brands)

seems like these vehicles have a sporty oil-pan design. my 2.5L calls for 5qt, but I added 6qt by accident and the car runs perfectly fine.

Back