VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Popping Under slight break while slowing down- CV joints?

Registered Member

mazda, familia (AKA: protege 5)

Quote Originally Posted by wrathofpaul View Post
    wow, the EXACT same thing just started happening to me on my P5 today. exact same sound...how do you tell which side is bad without cutting the boot?
    I had someone ride with me in the passenger seat, lean over while breaking and put their head right by the steering wheel. I then had them lean forward on the passenger side and tell me what they thought was louder. I used my 10 year old daughter for this.

I cut the boot open and it was so messy that I didn't try to investigate to see what was actually generating the sound.

I agree with "pcb"; replace both sides. I only replaced the right side so far but am going to replace the other side today (this one is going to be hard to get out of the tranny I imagine.

I had to put the left side hub in a vise so the axle was "free moving" and beat the spline shaft with a four pound sledge to get it out.... it had also been soaked multiple times in WD40 over the last month.

I would also add.... since you are taking it apart anyway, the tie rod ends and sway bar end links are very cheap as well. I would recommend changing them all since they all could be making that noise. I noticed my steering felt more "snug" since replacing everything.
    Last edited by terrywood23; 10-05-2017 at 09:25 PM.

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by terrywood23 View Post
    ... am going to replace the other side today (this one is going to be hard to get out of the tranny I imagine...
    A lot of people had a really hard time installing the CV shaft... getting the clip to pop in. (I forget which side).

Apparently the best thing to do is crawl under the car and hold the CV shaft perfectly straight while pushing it in to take up all the slack then get someone to give it a good hit with a sledgehammer.
    The Diagram Dude

Registered Member

mazda, familia (AKA: protege 5)

Quote Originally Posted by pcb View Post
    A lot of people had a really hard time installing the CV shaft... getting the clip to pop in. (I forget which side).

Apparently the best thing to do is crawl under the car and hold the CV shaft perfectly straight while pushing it in to take up all the slack then get someone to give it a good hit with a sledgehammer.
    The left side (directly into the tranny) was much easier than the right....

I had to use a sledge (and a block of wood for protecting the spline) on the right but, just needed a hard yank with a pry bar to remove and then a body weight jarring shove to get it past the slip-ring on the left.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12