Sorry for the dumb suspension question, but...

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
After much searching I cannot find an answer, and most of the threads that cover it are years old and not very good...

I am in need of new shocks all around for my MSP, as well as new mounts. Springs are good. I was hoping to get a set of completes, for the simple fact that they are so much easier to install than having to take the spring off and reassemble. HOWEVER, I don't see anything that is a complete for a MSP, everything seems to say "fits all" and I was wondering. What is the difference between the suspension of a normal Protege and a mazda speed?

I don't want to go to coilovers, at least I was not planning to, i just want to retain the handling characteristics my car had when new. I am leaning towards a set of Tokico blue shocks, but I still have to buy the top mounts, and that gets pretty expensive fast, and the additional work. but if that's the only way to retain the handling. I'll do it.

The Speed has Tokico HP struts and Racing Beat springs. The strut mounts are the same. I would not recommend downgrading to cheap struts (which are what the 'all in one' kits typically are).

The stock speed rear struts have a higher spring perch, so when the stock springs are installed on new struts the rear will drop .75". This is fine if you install lowering springs, but the back will sag if you keep the stock springs with the new struts.

The tokicos can be a little hard to find, but they are out there. The 'original' MSP struts that don't drop the back end are more expensive and are even more difficult to find. A new set of Tokico blues and some lowering springs will be the best bet. Honestly by the time you buy all that you could have gotten a decent set of coilovers.

You won't need new springs, but the back end will sit too low with those new struts. You will need to get lowering springs to even out the ride, or you will have a cali lean look.

Latest posts

Back