2016 CX-9 Signature Smart Brake Support

FuzzyMazda

:
2016 CX-9 Signature
Have around 16k miles on this car. All is good except one issue. When traveling on highways at 70MPH or a little better, the SBS function sounds an alarm and the HUD displays BRAKE in bold red color. I have had it back to dealer multiple times for this. The past 3 times they state that they are not able to reproduce. I tell them they need to be on a highway, PA TURNPIKE for instance, and drive the speed limit. They have never done that.

Took it back in today, and now they state that it is working as designed. This makes no sense to me. This is my wife's car and she is getting conditioned to the error. It happens to her everyday. When I drive it on weekends etc, it scares the heck out of me. I really think at some point it will apply the BRAKES and kill us all.

So the condition occurs on highways at 70MPH or more as you approach an overpass or overhead highway sign. There can be cars in front of you or not. It doesn't happen all the time or always at the same overpass. We are able to repeat the condition daily but the dealer seems unwilling to put any effort in to it.

Is anyone else having an issue like this? I would strongly advise against a purchase of this vehicle if this is the SOP for a safety system.

I have never experienced that, and I've driving 70, 80, 90, and even 100.
I wonder if adjusting the distance indicator will have some effect - I keep mine at 1 or 2, as 3 or 4 keeps a large amount of distance between me and the card ahead, and then people cut in front and the brakes will kick in (but not the BRAKE! warning - that occurs when I get too close/someone cuts in front of me.

Have you clear the windshield and radar sensor (front emblem)? Maybe it's detecting a phantom. Like I said, never had any issue and the SBS function has save me a few times.

Horton, The dealer has cleaned and even adjusted the front emblem and windshield sensors. They adjusted the distance indicator too. The car has never applied the brakes, thank goodness, but the visual warning and alarm that it triggers unnerving to say the least.

Was the first time you took it to the dealership to fix this within your first year or 12,000 miles of ownership? If so, file a Lemon Law claim. (I think that's how the Penn Lemon Law works. You'll find out when you try to file the claim.)

Otherwise, make a big lemon sign and park on the street in front of the dealership. Either way gets their attention. Make a video of this happening--end the Can't Reproduce nonsense.

Yes, if this is easily reproduced, video is first stop, which will more quickly get a ride-along with tech.

If Mazda engineers and customer care people follow this forum, they could get nice feedback on the cars they make. Does anyone know, if Mazda is following forums like this or even care?

Thanks for all the replies. This has been an issue from day one. It has been back to dealer many times.

Here is a link to the service work order where the Mazda tech states it is SOP.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0zwjAuHPtmiTHFkWTFTSGpaR1k

Not sure they would entertain a ride in this vehicle to see it happen. While it can be replicated, there is not a single approach to the replication. I know I could drive it along the PATP and it will eventually trigger an alarm.

Last edited:
Mine kicked into today; a person in front of me did a no-brake roll (I hate those), then slammed on brakes. SCBS warned, but I was a bit later to the brake pedal than it deemed prudent and anti-locked me...Damn, the car stopped quick.

All good - very happy to have the function.

Last edited:
It has given me the "brake" warning on the HUD once but this was during the time I played around with the sensitivity settings and changed it to the most sensitive...it happened when I drove "aggressively" and there was a car that suddenly cut into my lane...After that incident I changed the sensitivity settings back to the less sensitive setting and of course drove normally/not aggressive and the warning has never come on for me since.

hmmm... I have the default settings, and I've had the BRAKE pop up twice, and slam the brakes. Both times, I didn't expect it, so I nearly lost control of the steering wheel..

I am curious to try a cardboard box in the street and drive up to it, and see the Smart Brake work...

Back