Turbo Specialties (TSI) turbo kit for an 02 Protege5

cardana24

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hey guys,
I am having problems finding information on this kit. I am picking up a Protege5 soon and it is coming with a Turbo Specialties (TSI) turbo kit. I am reading the installation instructions, and you have to add on an additional fuel computer to control two remote mounted injectors. What I am wondering is can I just install a set of MSP injectors and get an MSP ecu and be done with it? Essentially use the hardware that comes with the TSI kit (turbo, manifold, lines, intercooler and piping) and just install the MSP injectors and ecu, and not use the additional injectors with the add on computer? If I can do this does anyone know if the P5 and MSP run the same base fuel pressure? What about fuel pump output? I'm guessing the MSP has a beefier fuel pump. Thanks for any information.

Here is a link to the kit, the one I am getting is used and comes with the additional injectors and the fuel control stuff.
http://www.turbospecialties-race.co...o-p-69.html?osCsid=6uhl49tjfkskocgi3mce8vkte3

in theory yes, MSP ECU should be all you need to run the car safely. The fuel pump and pressure, IIRC, is the same between the NA and turbo motors. As are the injectors.

The plugs at the ECU are the same, but the MSP always had ABS, so you'll just have an ABS code if the P5 is non-ABS, and you'll just have to pull the bulb in the cluster.

An SSAFC is really wise to have for anyone with an MSP or if going turbo, as it allows for a better fuelling map (stock is pig rich)

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

in theory yes, MSP ECU should be all you need to run the car safely. The fuel pump and pressure, IIRC, is the same between the NA and turbo motors. As are the injectors.

The plugs at the ECU are the same, but the MSP always had ABS, so you'll just have an ABS code if the P5 is non-ABS, and you'll just have to pull the bulb in the cluster.

An SSAFC is really wise to have for anyone with an MSP or if going turbo, as it allows for a better fuelling map (stock is pig rich)

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I was just cross referencing part numbers and it does appear that the p5 and MSP can use the same fuel pump and injectors (at least according to rock auto). When I was googling this before I thought the p5 was rated some where around 280cc (don't remember what pressure they are tested at) and the MSP's were some where in the low 300's cc.

I don't have the P5 yet so I don't know if it has ABS, even if it does not that is not a big deal to me.

Good idea on the SAFC, I run one of those on one of my maximas and it does help out a ton with smoothing out the a/f ratio. What do most of the boosted guys shoot for? 12:1?

That is correct, the MSP has the same 280cc injectors, fuel rail, IM, fuel pump, fuel lines, FPR, etc as the P5 and other 01-03 FSDE Proteges.

Typically in boost you are aiming for about 12:1, however with the primitive ECU in the Protege it may be safer to shoot slightly less, around 11.5:1.

How much boost does the MSP run stock? I know the TSI kit comes set at 6 psi, I would like to run closer to 10 psi once the car is properly tuned. It seems like that is as high as people recommend going with out going into the engine.

The stock MSP runs between 6-7psi. Typically 10-11psi is the safe limit for a stock FSDE. The boost level you run will depend on the size of the turbo. ~10psi on a T25 MSP turbo is not the same as 10psi on a T30.

The stock MSP runs between 6-7psi. Typically 10-11psi is the safe limit for a stock FSDE. The boost level you run will depend on the size of the turbo. ~10psi on a T25 MSP turbo is not the same as 10psi on a T30.
The turbo that comes with the kit is a t25

Back