Australians buying diesels in record numbers

I think Mazda can do wonders if they would like add a 48 volt system
to their existing fleet for better mpg/driving performance(low end torque)

A full hybrid system or full electric maybe the future ... but its years away plus extra $
while a mild hybrid solution could be a mid-cycle refresh away to complement existing
petrol engines to turn those vehicles into mild-hybrids.

Yes. This, like the new Acura MDX Sport Hybrid; performance oriented rather than mileage, borrowing tech from their NSX:

Identical in most respects to the double-motor package that energizes the Acura NSX supercars front wheels, the TMU serves as a smart differential. During gentle launches, each motor drives one rear wheel while the engine naps. To augment cornering vigor, one motor powers the outside rear wheel while the other slows the inside, a clever version of torque vectoring. During those differential moments, the impeding motor sends electrical current to the battery pack.

It hustles to 60 mph from rest in 5.7 seconds, through the quarter-mile in 14.5 seconds, and to 100 mph in 15.5 seconds

Cornering is where the MDX hybrid showed the biggest advantage over competitors. No doubt thanks to the electric torque vectoring and the handling-oriented suspension tuning, the MDX hybrid circled our skidpad at 0.87 g versus the Toyotas 0.77 g, the Volvos 0.81 g, and the nonhybrid MDXs 0.83 g. (The Toyota, the Volvo, and the nonhybrid MDX were inhibited by stability-control-system intervention.) Also to its credit, the Acura hybrids body roll and understeer characteristics approach those of a sports sedan. The electronically controlled variable dampers manage wheel and body motion without spoiling ride quality.

Yet, it's a bit too large for us. A US version of the newly announced CX-8 (Japanese market for now) would be perfect.

So far, I've been unimpressed with mild hybrids. The gains are too small to justify the extra cost, extra complexity, and more things to fail.

So far, I've been unimpressed with mild hybrids. The gains are too small to justify the extra cost, extra complexity, and more things to fail.

Hybrids here have CVT's which i detest (driven a few both hybrids with CVTs and non hybrids with CVTs)

Can't view it in the UK - ironic or what...

Message comes up
"This video contains content from BBC Worldwide, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

No issues here in OZ

After having a trip to Baguio (a city built on mountains) im seriously considering a diesel. Most cabs there are AUV (Asian Utility Vehicle) and runs on diesel effortlessly on challenging inclines. So much so for torque! Though the diesel is is $5,900 more expensive (1 variant only) with a price tag of $43,000. whew!

Last edited:
After having a trip to Baguio (a city built on mountains) im seriously considering a diesel. Most cabs there are AUV (Asian Utility Vehicle) and runs on diesel effortlessly on challenging inclines. So much so for torque! Though the diesel is is $5,900 more expensive (1 variant only) with a price tag of $43,000. whew!

Used to ride up to Baguio on my 125cc Honda from Clark Air Base (pre Mt Pinatubo !) in 1969-70. Great ride and beautiful location. Thanks for the memory!

Back