temperature guage

TempgaugeBoth.jpg

From https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=346897&page=2

One guy tested his car and found the gauge stayed in the center for 80 deg.

thanks for posting that.
I stand corrected, but I still wouldn't call that a useless dummy gauge. It's non linear, but far from useless.

You can see when the engine is running slightly warm because the needle still moves slightly higher with each step.

On the pre-2017 CX-5 you have zero advanced warning until the red light comes on (or does it flash first?? I'll have to pull my manual out to double check if that ever happens)

Last edited:
Honda vehicles show the exact same gauge reading between 70C and 110C. Useless.

Hello guys,
I have a 2017 CX5 diesel 2.2 with 150 hp, and it has 3000 km in about 30 days that I have her.
Since the first day my working temperature of coolant is 100 c when im driving,but when stopped,it dropes...
And,as some of you said, its pretty hard to detect is it dropped to 90 or 95 c, because scale isn't proportional.
When I start driving, it goes up on 100 celsius,and stays like that al tbe time while the car is driving!
My question is why is temperature droping because engines are made to reach an ideal worki g temprature as soon as possible and stay there !
And if it is normal, how is it done inside of cooling system..
I have to say that i never saw a car that has a temperature gauge that goes up or down, depending on load?
Car gives no failure when conected to a computer!
Thanks

Hello guys,
I have a 2017 CX5 diesel 2.2 with 150 hp, and it has 3000 km in about 30 days that I have her.
Since the first day my working temperature of coolant is 100 c when im driving,but when stopped,it dropes...
And,as some of you said, its pretty hard to detect is it dropped to 90 or 95 c, because scale isn't proportional.
When I start driving, it goes up on 100 celsius,and stays like that al tbe time while the car is driving!
My question is why is temperature droping because engines are made to reach an ideal worki g temprature as soon as possible and stay there !
And if it is normal, how is it done inside of cooling system..
I have to say that i never saw a car that has a temperature gauge that goes up or down, depending on load?
Car gives no failure when conected to a computer!
Thanks

In winter the temperature used to go down on every VAG diesel car I've owned when standing in traffic as diesel engines are more efficient than petrol and only produce more heat when under load. The gauge also never moved from the mid position whilst driving. Of course with my 2016 CX5 I don't know whether this is happening as there is no gauge. If I were you I wouldn't worry about it, your engine is very efficient. This raises the point that is it really advantageous having a gauge rather than just warning lights?

Last edited:
Anchorman has current diesel so they should be available to advise actual temperature figures

It is normal, some gauges can handle variations better than others. In Honda vehicles temp gauge shows the same temperature with readings between 85 and 105C.

O WoW, that is a different set than we get in the USA. Great photos of the temp gage BigTex. Maybe something is wrong with mine because it is Very Very Hard to see in the daytime. Impossible with sun glasses on. It is OK at night but much to filled with info. Just try to find the symbol for the cruise on or off, Please not while driving on the freeway. Bet they fix this next year.

O WoW, that is a different set than we get in the USA. Great photos of the temp gage BigTex. Maybe something is wrong with mine because it is Very Very Hard to see in the daytime. Impossible with sun glasses on. It is OK at night but much to filled with info. Just try to find the symbol for the cruise on or off, Please not while driving on the freeway. Bet they fix this next year.
I dunno if this would help but try to press the long thin metal stick protruding on your gauge.

You either have polarized sunglasses or you just need to increase the dash brightness. I don't know how it is on the 2017, but on the 2016 CX-5, the tiny stalk/knob for the trip meter is also used to control dash brightness. Play with that.

You can only increase the brightness so much and it won't fully counteract the polarisation of the sunglasses

Latest posts

Back