temperature guage

johno351

:
mazda cx5 GSX
I have a 2012 CX5 import from Japan and no temp guage only a little blue light that shows when cold and goes out when warmed up is that the normal one cheers john

Yes it is normal. The 2017 model has introduced a temperature gauge

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Thanks for that was a bit worried thats a joke isnt it everone watches the temp or they should do

I have a 2012 CX5 import from Japan and no temp guage only a little blue light that shows when cold and goes out when warmed up is that the normal one cheers john
It also has a red light to indicate if it's overheating.

Most vehicles now days don't have working temp gauges anyways, same for oil pressure. Just idiot-gauges that always hover in the middle. GM was always good about using real gauges on their cars though, and my 370Z had a real oil and coolant temp gauge. Ford loved their idiot gauges back in 2005 when I worked for them though.

Here's what it looks like. The car was just started so still reading cold.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2193.JPG
    IMG_2193.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 1,376
Last edited:
Most vehicles now days don't have working temp gauges anyways, same for oil pressure. Just idiot-gauges that always hover in the middle. GM was always good about using real gauges on their cars though, and my 370Z had a real oil and coolant temp gauge. Ford loved their idiot gauges back in 2005 when I worked for them though.

I get the rationale behind the idiot light though. Most people tune out their temp gauge. A light is harder to ignore. Blue light on = take it easy. Red light on = warning. Red light flashing = pull over now

There are a number of OBD2 based Temperature gauges available. I have a ScanGauge II setup to show Temperature and voltage.
I pull a trailer so I wanted to know the temperature.

There are a number of OBD2 based Temperature gauges available. I have a ScanGauge II setup to show Temperature and voltage.
I pull a trailer so I wanted to know the temperature.
With the built-in temp gauge on the 2017 CX-5, you are now free to monitor another parameter on your OBD2 gauge. The ScanGauge can display at most only 4 parameters, so this is a big help.

I suppose that "gauge" is better than the goofy little light in my 2014, but given that lack of scale, I am betting it's still a classic modern non-linear dummy gauge that jumps up to normal and only goes into the red once you're already overheated.

I'm always amazed that manufacturers have the sensor data available (as stated, you can get it with OBD reader), but refuse to present it in any truly useful form. I almost pulled the trigger on an aftermarket gauge for my CX-5 right after I bought it, but decided I had better things to do. :D

Last edited:
Back