extra miles

kstoop

:
mazda cx 9 grand touring 2016
I have a 2016 CX 9 that I got in Dec. It was driven b y the dealer so it had 1800 miles on it. It performed great and I took it in for the 4000 first oil and inspection. The maint due warning came on, nice feature. I took it in but when they put the computer on it, it said I was at 6988 instead of 3988 miles! The next day it said I was due for oil change and inspection. They turned off the warning and reset everything but had no answer for the 3000 bonus miles. And that I had driven 500 miles that week before I could get it in to turn off the warning lights that kept flashing at me. I can barely account for 250. Then, for my oil change that was due at 12000, when the oil change light came on to say it was due in 500 miles, the odometer jumped an extra 500 miles. Now a month later, the oil change due light comes on again and another 500 bonus miles show up on the odometer. When the tech went into the infotainment system to turn it off, the car said no change was due for 5000 miles and he couldn't get it to turn off. He finally played around with it and we just set the next oil due notification out 7500 miles and for me to just go by the window sticker.

Now I have ~4000 bonus miles that they cannot/will not address. It only happens when a warning light comes on. Their best explanation is that I drive more than I realize. Or I can leave the car with them and they can drive it around to try and replicate my claim.

Right now my solution is that I took a photo of the odometer and set my trip A to zero and wait to see what happens. That and log where I drive but that is really a pain.

I have a 2016 CX 9 that I got in Dec. It was driven b y the dealer so it had 1800 miles on it. It performed great and I took it in for the 4000 first oil and inspection. The maint due warning came on, nice feature. I took it in but when they put the computer on it, it said I was at 6988 instead of 3988 miles! The next day it said I was due for oil change and inspection. They turned off the warning and reset everything but had no answer for the 3000 bonus miles. And that I had driven 500 miles that week before I could get it in to turn off the warning lights that kept flashing at me. I can barely account for 250. Then, for my oil change that was due at 12000, when the oil change light came on to say it was due in 500 miles, the odometer jumped an extra 500 miles. Now a month later, the oil change due light comes on again and another 500 bonus miles show up on the odometer. When the tech went into the infotainment system to turn it off, the car said no change was due for 5000 miles and he couldn't get it to turn off. He finally played around with it and we just set the next oil due notification out 7500 miles and for me to just go by the window sticker.

Now I have ~4000 bonus miles that they cannot/will not address. It only happens when a warning light comes on. Their best explanation is that I drive more than I realize. Or I can leave the car with them and they can drive it around to try and replicate my claim.

Right now my solution is that I took a photo of the odometer and set my trip A to zero and wait to see what happens. That and log where I drive but that is really a pain.

This sounds very very fishy unless your display and computer are faulty. if the odometer is jumping, you need this fixed asap.

While it doesn't necessarily sound like the case here, it is criminally easy to reset digital odometers with the proper software (like that found at the dealership) and very hard to detect once done.
I would have a tire professional look at your tire wear and try to judge if it's consistent with one number or another.

If tampering happened, this is clearly fraud.

Contact Mazda North America in Irvine, CA. An accurate odometer is a legal requirement. It sounds like yours has a software or hardware problem. In any case, it should not be your problem. You need an accurate odometer. Keep us informed.
https://www.mazdausa.com/contact-us

Back