Start up hesitation

JLWannebo

:
2007 Mazda CX-9
I've tried the search button numerous times with no luck so I'm writing a quick post.

I recently picked up a 2007 cx9. Has 144k on the motor and everything seemed to be working fine...until it wasn't.

My cx9 has failed to start a couple of times. I'd go to turn the key, all lights come on, but nothing seems to fire or turn over. No noises, not ticks, nothing. I turn the key back to off, then on again, and nothing. After 2-3 times the car fires up. I JUST replaced the battery thinking that was it. Also changed the spark plugs and it still is doing it every now and again.

Does ANYONE have any similar issues with there's? I have a cat code of 0420 & 0430. Basically emissions code. I don't believe this would affect it's starting or driving. The car drives well when running but I'm afraid I'm going to be stuck somewhere with a car that won't start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Joe

There are a lot of videos on youtube when it comes to these 2 codes. They all indicate simple fixes. I was not able to watch them as I am at work. It can range from a vacuum leak to some other simple problems. Take a look and see what you can find there.

seems like a relay is not doing it's job or it might be the starter. First time i read about this.

...I'd go to turn the key, all lights come on, but nothing seems to fire or turn over. No noises, not ticks, nothing. ...

Joe

You may have more than one thing going on here as I suspect the CEL codes are not causing the failure to start in the manner you describe.
First I will assume you have a factory-standard key without remote start.
The start symptom you describe can sometimes be a wonky key. If your key is flaky, all the lights will illuminate, but the security system will not register the proper code from the chip inside the key and will do nothing more.
I dropped one of my keys and while it still unlocks doors, it will not start the car since the security chip is broken. (FYI, starting and unlocking doors are two unrelated functions in the same key fob.

Does it do this with both keys consistently?

As for the CEL codes, I agree that those can be caused by several items not directly related to the emissions system. I had a problem in another car several years ago that ended up being a bad gasket in an intake manifold.
Since you changed the plugs recently, I would guess you might have failed to seat the intake properly or left something unplugged after you put it all back together.

Back