For those who want their 2017 Mazda CX5 debadged

:
2019 Mazda CX5 GT
I usually like my cars naked, therefore I normally debadged them and retain just the main emblem.
As I was removing SkyActive badge, I found out it has two hooks unlike other cars, at least in my experience.

Sharing this so you dont have to commit the same mistake and save you time in case you're planning to remove those emblems (not sure about the other 2 badges though - CX5 and AWD)

2017 Mazda CX 5 emblem by Jun Amuan, on Flickr

There's also holes on the other side too, forgot which letter but I remember seeing a post somewhere that there are holes behind the badges on the 2nd gen cx-5

I've never seen any manufacturer design badges that required holes in the sheet metal. How stupid is that? It makes no sense.

this was posted a while ago back in May to warn 2017 CX-5 owners, all the rear badges on the new CX-5 have holes,

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123856604-Cx-5-debadge-or-not&highlight=debadge

I'm assuming MAzda did this for consistent repeatability of proper badge alignements, but downside is more chance for water to ingress as the badge adhesive wears out over time....

I think Honda also have holes, I've seen debadged Hondas with holes where the Honda logo used to be,

I've never seen any manufacturer design badges that required holes in the sheet metal. How stupid is that? It makes no sense.

It's not uncommon at all.

Makes for uber simple and consistent / lightning fast badge installation in the factory.

Usually common badges across trim levels, like the brand marque or the model name, can have pins while trim / equipment specific badges won't have pins so they can use the same trunk lid

It's not uncommon at all.

Makes for uber simple and consistent / lightning fast badge installation in the factory.

Usually common badges across trim levels, like the brand marque or the model name, can have pins while trim / equipment specific badges won't have pins so they can use the same trunk lid

A design that requires unnecessary holes in the sheet metal is a poor design and makes little sense to me.

I don't think it's a poor design, I just think it's a decision they made.

You could invest money in a jig for each car model that comes by the line for each line OR just design alignment holes (I personally think dimples would have worked fine) and just make the logo line up within those guides.

Mercedes has a big honking hole for their stand-up logo on the hood and a rusting hood is not a major issue.

Pretty much all Hondas have those holes, also. Back in the day I swapped out my Integra's Acura badges for Honda, and had to shave the pins off because the holes didn't line up. Then when I got the whole car repainted I had all the holes closed up so now the car has no emblems at all. Only the embossed "INTEGRA" on each bumper. But yeah the holes are there to aid emblem installation in the factory. Time is money, and more accuracy with less time is what they want.

strange.. the skyactiv badge on my mazda 6 did not have that when i took it off.

At my previous CX-5 2012, i took off the CX-5 and Skyactive badges.
Without holes, they where glued / double adhesive material.

On my new CX-5 KF 2017.
The part they pinned on to, is a PLASTIC part.
Tested it with an magnet.

has anyone painted or darkened the front emblem? I just got the car of the lot and dont want to make any careless mistakes hehe

Good idea... What is the preferred method? dont want to plasti dip or anything, has anyone just directly spray painted or would it require removing the emblem as a whole? Does anyone know what holds the emblem in place for '17 models?

I just don’t get this obsession with taking badges off???

Some people just want a cleaner look. What does "Skyactiv" mean to the average joedriver? AWD? Nothing dude. It's just an advertisement if anything. I could see if you had some kind of special or limited edition model like a 10th anni miata or something. Or maybe some people like to show that they paid more (dunno)

Why is there so much written on the back of this truck (OEM) looks tacky imo.
2016-Nissan-Titan-XD-Platnum-rear-end.jpg

Last edited:
Back