Will a dealer service overwrite an ecu remap?

Ziggity

:
2013 CX-5 Sport
I'm considering a diesel remap for my 2013.

When I've taken the car in for a service with a mazda dealer, invariably, one of the functions performed is, "ECU/software updates"

If there was a new update from mazda, would that erase any ecu remap I'd received from a tuner?

If they reflash the ECU to update engine software, yea. If you have a remote tune it shouldn't even be an issue. If you have to go to a shop then yea it could be a PITA. You are not obligated to allow them to reprogram the ecu. There was a similar issue when 2013 mazda3's had an ECU update because of an issue with the headlight flickering and tuned cars lost their tune after. So the tuner integrated the OEM fix into the individuals owners tune and they reflashed them after.

Yes. You should be able to just reflash your tune after coming home from the dealer though.

Hi There...

As soon as the Dealer flashes the ECU, you loose the tune. Plain and simple.

Restoring the original tune is dependant on the solution you are using, or plan to use.

Please PM me for more information, as I own a 2013 CX5 Diesel that has been remapped for years.

Cheers..!!!

If you have a remote tune ( uploaded by you vs a shop or sending your ECU off), you can just reflash your tune with your laptop or the provided handheld. If you want best result your going to want a street tune (which can be done remotely), not a generic file aka "off the shelf". It may cost slightly more though. In my case, I just plug my laptop in and reload my latest file. Takes about 3 minutes. I have ovtuned.

Last edited:
Back